Are cavalry charges lame in your opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

There is one thing that really frustrates me in this game (even though I love Bannerlord) and those are Cavalry Charges.
My preffered combat style has always been on horseback as a shock cavalry.
Cavarly was supposed to charge in a tight formation to deal massive damage into enemy lines, from the powerful Macedonian Companions to the legendary Medieval Knights with their couched lances.

Now I know Total War and Bannerlord are two completely different type of games, but sadly in Bannerlord you just don't get the feeling of a cavalry charge, at all.
I try to micro my army (composed of infantry, archers and shock cavalry mostly) in order to face the enemy at a certain angles so when I order the charge they just don't randomly go wherever they want, but it doesn't matter and still happens that when I order my cavalry to charge it is infuriating to see they break formation and follow single cavalry archers instead of charging as a pack to the rear or flank of the enemy line rendering the charge completely useless and dying to stray arrows.
To make matters worse, they sometimes do go and attack the enemy line from an angle I want but most of them just freeze when they crash against a foot soldier as if they were a wall.

Does anybody else feels the same way about it?

Last edited:
well i think the Imperial Elite Cataphract and also Sturgian Druzhinik Champion its pretty damm good but the problem in my idea its that,they kinda need space to reoarganize and charge again after the first charge..wich in some maps are kinda impossible.you will need to lead them, call them back and order them charge again..if not they will just do wathever they want.., but yes i kinda feel what u saying..sometimes i have the same feelings..charge you damm bastards lol.and they just chasing a damm poor enemy soul..you wanna see that rohirrim charges all the time right ? hehe

It really seems to be an AI problem also besides them being underpowered. It really feels like a balancing act to keep someone from just spamming cavalry since the polearms and formations are not quite right.

In truth a cavalry charge should drain morale for the enemy, deal massive damage from the side flanks, and be expensive to recruit and maintain.

I really wish they would have added an intelligence or training level for the troops. So recruits and tier 1s are bad at formations, like Bannerlord is right now. Charges are not tight, volley is not in sync, that kind of thing. But, when the troops are level up they gain intelligence so they can volley correctly, charge right, and run the formations. Would have made a great leadership perk, Tier 1, 2, and 3 troops know all formations when mixed with higher tiered troops or something.

i really dont understand why they keep treating this game as a multiplayer game and downgrade all...this is a freaking single player game..stop listen to all ideas, release the game and fix the bugs...move to next game..insted they just fix this..break that, fixthat again to break this after...

It really seems to be an AI problem also besides them being underpowered. It really feels like a balancing act to keep someone from just spamming cavalry since the polearms and formations are not quite right.

In truth a cavalry charge should drain morale for the enemy, deal massive damage from the side flanks, and be expensive to recruit and maintain.

I really wish they would have added an intelligence or training level for the troops. So recruits and tier 1s are bad at formations, like Bannerlord is right now. Charges are not tight, volley is not in sync, that kind of thing. But, when the troops are level up they gain intelligence so they can volley correctly, charge right, and run the formations. Would have made a great leadership perk, Tier 1, 2, and 3 troops know all formations when mixed with higher tiered troops or something.
I've been following a mod from quite some time now that is called "Bannerlord Immersion Project" by some "Alpha Omega Man" (you can watch it on Youtube). Man, what they are doing is AMAZING! Is far from perfect but in my opinion leagues ahead of "Native Bannerlord". I know the game is still in EA but just watch what they are doing, battles feel more "cinematic" at least, it has a feeling of its own and it just works (unlike Todd Howard's :razz:)

I just hope Taleworlds manage to fix/implement all that the game is lacking by the time the game is officialy released.

just wait for the lord of the rings mod....its coming in the meanwhile do like me... army of Sturgian Druzhinik Champion ....green banner with golden horse head logo..and lotr music in the back...and just pretende :smile: :smile:

There is one thing that really frustrates me in this game (even though I love Bannerlord) and those are Cavalry Charges.
Cavarly was supposed to charge in a tight formation to deal massive damage into enemy lines, from the powerful Macedonian Companions to the legendary Medieval Knights with their couched lances.

Now I know Total War and Bannerlord are two completely different type of games, but sadly in Bannerlord you just don't get the feeling of a cavalry charge, at all.
I try to micro my army (composed of infantry, archers and shock cavalry mostly) in order to face the enemy at a certain angles so when I order the charge they just don't randomly go wherever they want, but it doesn't matter and still happens that when I order my cavalry to charge it is infuriating to see they break formation and follow single cavalry archers instead of charging as a pack to the rear or flank of the enemy line rendering the charge completely useless and dying to stray arrows.
To make matters worse, they sometimes do go and attack the enemy line from an angle I want but most of them just freeze when they crash against a foot soldier as if they were a wall.

Does anybody else feels the same way about it?
Yeah the AI is a bit lacking and to be honest, even when the charges do go where you want them to, they lack impact. I have given up on them fixing these issues in Native and hoping to see some good fixes come out of mods once the game releases.

I think one of the biggest issues here is that despite the fact that there really isn't proper shock cavalry, despite most heavy cavalry having crouch lances. sometime I can get a good charge and destroy the enemy. other time my cav clump up, gets bogged down, eat each others hits and get slandered by simple recruits. I think if the developers let cavalry continue to crouch their lances rather than have their lances raised up as soon as they get a hit then heavy cavalry would be the very good against infantry. . true, having lances be able to kill 5-10 footmen may not be fair (though it would be satisfying to watch), maybe the developers could make crouch lances have a chance to break per every hit. in this case, once the lances break, they would have to resort to melee, but it isn't like they don't to that already. in any case player it would bring heavy cav on par with horse archer, because right now, if between a chose of heavy cav or horse archers, the later is favored

I think one of the biggest issues here is that despite the fact that there really isn't proper shock cavalry, despite most heavy cavalry having crouch lances. sometime I can get a good charge and destroy the enemy. other time my cav clump up, gets bogged down, eat each others hits and get slandered by simple recruits. I think if the developers let cavalry continue to crouch their lances rather than have their lances raised up as soon as they get a hit then heavy cavalry would be the very good against infantry. . true, having lances be able to kill 5-10 footmen may not be fair (though it would be satisfying to watch), maybe the developers could make crouch lances have a chance to break per every hit. in this case, once the lances break, they would have to resort to melee, but it isn't like they don't to that already. in any case player it would bring heavy cav on par with horse archer, because right now, if between a chose of heavy cav or horse archers, the later is favored

The thing is they don't even have to use crouch lances, a simple thrust at speed is ALWAYS enough to one hit an enemy. My issues is that often they don't even seem to try to thrust at the enemy as they reach the enemy lines all that much. Usually more than half my cavalry has their lances up when they contact the enemy and THEN they try to thrust, once they get stopped.

Yeah the AI is a bit lacking and to be honest, even when the charges do go where you want them to, they lack impact. I have given up on them fixing these issues in Native and hoping to see some good fixes come out of mods once the game releases.
I know right? there is no fricking impact!!! Is like they freeze in time and space! and when they "charge" they are not even in a tight formation! Pffffffff.... breathe... time to play a little Attila Totalwar... but I'll be back...

I would love to see a mod with proper shock cavalry charging with crouched lances, where they sometimes break upon impact and you have to rely on your secondary weapon, I just hope to see that one day in Mount and Blade.

i really dont understand why they keep treating this game as a multiplayer game and downgrade all...this is a freaking single player game..stop listen to all ideas, release the game and fix the bugs...move to next game..insted they just fix this..break that, fixthat again to break this after...

I think the downgrades are coming from consolisation. The MP Dev team currently consists of one guy and his pet gerbil, I don't think it's drawing many resources. Though the two not being balanced seperately is peculiar.

There is some evidence suggesting cavalry charges never worked the way we think they might have (smashing horses galloping at full speed vs masses of armed men) but instead they might have nudged and probed their way into formations (at a walking speed) until gaps appeared and then ran through those gaps until all cohesion on the other side broke.

I wonder what the physics and mechanics of real ancient/medieval battles actually looked like.. I guess we’ll never truly know.

yeah,they are really week/broke..Just had a battle with me as a Vlandian charged 40 banner knights into the back of maybe 50 sturgian archers...the outcome? 6 killed sturgians in the initial charge and then my cav got bogged downed and started to die like flies..Its like they cant hit **** even with the 250 something in polearms!!...I really think the AI in cav charges is completely borked:sad:

There is some evidence suggesting cavalry charges never worked the way we think they might have (smashing horses galloping at full speed vs masses of armed men) but instead they might have nudged and probed their way into formations (at a walking speed) until gaps appeared and then ran through those gaps until all cohesion on the other side broke.

I wonder what the physics and mechanics of real ancient/medieval battles actually looked like.. I guess we’ll never truly know.
I'm no historian and would never argue one way or the other about something like this but given the higher cost of cavalry and the issue of needing horses just to upgrade troops to cavalry they should be more effective than they are. If TW can't do that then at a minimum give us a chance to get the horse back.

We won't. Here's what I know. It's fun to charge into enemies with a horse and knock them over and cause damage. That's how it works in the original M&B. In the current one enemies mostly don't get hurt. Needs fixing.

Havent played BL in some time but one thing always noticed was that the Cav just didnt seem to be able to aim their melee attacks properly from horseback. Playin Warband now and they are all absolute killers from horseback always finding the absolute correct angle to attack from - in Bannerlord they seemed utterly off -has this been addressed at all?

As far as I recall, this was from one of their blog or something like that.
rcsdC.gif

Well, I think I never had a chance to see something like this in the game so far. Because cavalry is always either too disorganized or distracted with other surrounding people. I think "unit targeting" would fix this lameness - or at least feeling of lameness. I don't think it's rocket science either. Select cavalry - Hover your indicator flag to the enemy squad(Even show a target icon, something like use icon on machinery) - F3 and they will lock to that particular squad.
If you just select your cavalry, and F3 without specifying anything else, let them charge as usual.
That might sound to surreal but there is actually a mod like this - I guess it was in RTS mod. So it's pretty much doable.

I think unit targeting would solve a lot of people's subjective complaints.

"Archers aren't strong enough" "Infantry are weak" "Cavalry are weak" "Horse archers are weak"

Etc etc etc. You've seen the threads. Blah blah blah. complain complain complain.

Being able to tell your archers or cavalry to attack those infantry or those archers would probably solve most of the problems we face.

Back
Top Bottom