Are Beta and Normal separate clients?

Users who are viewing this thread

I am just wondering if the new beta branch is a separate client or more specifically if I opt in for beta can I go back to Native and play my saves and mods I have their separately?

No. If you opt in to the Beta, your game files get replaced with the beta files. There's probably a way to do a whole separate install, but I havent figured that out

I think you could do it like so:

- copy your entire bannerlord folder in place, it will take a while of course, and will create a "Mount & Blade II Bannerlord - copy" folder, replace the "- copy" with "main" or anything to let you know that it's the main branch version.
- now go to steam, right click bannerlord in your library > properties > betas tab and pick the 1.1.0, the game will download some 2 or 3 GB worth of updates

now whenever you want to switch from main to beta you just rename the folders and change the beta option on steam of course, so if you're in beta but want to switch to main you'd rename the current bannerlord folder to "Mount & Blade II Bannerlord - beta" and the one that has "- main" to just "Mount & Blade II Bannerlord", plus go on steam and opt-out of the beta, and vice versa.

I haven't tried this myself, but I'm pretty sure it would work.

Damn what a pain when it would be just as simple to have had two separate clients with a single button on the launcher asking which client you want to launch. Never could figure out how professional developers could make something so easy, so difficult.

Damn what a pain when it would be just as simple to have had two separate clients with a single button on the launcher asking which client you want to launch. Never could figure out how professional developers could make something so easy, so difficult.

You'd still need to download two separate copies of the game to do that. It's a lot of work and wasted data for a limited use-case, especially when switching branches in steam only downloads what files have changed.

Redundant copies are actually less efficient.

There's probably a way to do a whole separate install, but I havent figured that out

just backup your saves on your /documents folder. Make one for Beta and one for EA.

you should backup the game itself only if bandwidth is a issue (downloading a few GB back and forth). But you will still need to backup your saves first.

TW should handle that themselves, but until (or if ever) they do, you need do it manually.

You'd still need to download two separate copies of the game to do that. It's a lot of work and wasted data for a limited use-case, especially when switching branches in steam only downloads what files have changed.

Redundant copies are actually less efficient.

Yeah that's true, though for people with data capped plans and/or slow speeds it would be a pain, the difference from main and beta right now is about 3 GB I think, not a whole lot but not a paltry amount either.

Having the two separate installations takes a lil while to set up and of course takes too much space, but once it's done you can quickly switch between the two.

Back
Top Bottom