Are below 25 weight armours worth it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Secko

Regular
The topic title says it all.
Take note, the character in question will be primarily a foot soldier.
Furthermore, what I am primarily interested in is: will the reduced encumberance be a worthy trade off for lower armour?
Thanks for the replies.

Secko said:
The topic title says it all.
Take note, the character in question will be primarily a foot soldier.
Furthermore, what I am primarily interested in is: will the reduced encumberance be a worthy trade off for lower armour?
Thanks for the replies.
  Weight of equipment carried affects your running speed.  I didn't try by how much, but it definitely does encumber your character.  It shouldn't affect your weapon proficiencies, though, so you'll just be slower with heavier stuff on you.

Anyway, what kind of armor do you want?  Below 25 you have all kinds of heraldic mails, if http://mountandblade.wikia.com/wiki/Armor site is right.  They are very good armors.  Plus several other choices.

I personally would go with a Lordly Byrnie (if I could find it), light boots and gloves.  You don't actually need good leg protection if you are primarily a foot soldier, so that's what I'd try.

bakters said:
Anyway, what kind of armor do you want?  Below 25 you have all kinds of heraldic mails, if http://mountandblade.wikia.com/wiki/Armor site is right.  They are very good armors.  Plus several other choices.

I personally would go with a Lordly Byrnie (if I could find it), light boots and gloves.  You don't actually need good leg protection if you are primarily a foot soldier, so that's what I'd try.

Well, that is exactly with what I need help. I don`t know which armor to choose.
I am aware that less weight=more speed=better, however, right now, protection of pretty much all armors scale with  weight, so one can not find an armor that stands out when it comes to weight/protection ratio.
From what I figured from reading the forums, the Sarranid Guard Armor used to have only 5 weight, and was therefore ideal for what I had in mind. However, now it is pretty much in line with everything else.
So, any tips on what to choose? Or should I just go with the best set of my faction of choice?

Like I said, I'd go with a decent Byrnie.  Heraldic Mail with Tabard should work too.  Optimum choice will strongly depend on your play-style and the rest of your equipment, but against arrows I'd rather rely on shields.  Longer ones protect your legs better, wider ones protect your sides and back more.   

There will be trade-offs as other have said.  And there are a great many decision-points that could change the outcome.

There will be vast differences depending on the type of foot character you are developing.  For a non-fighter/strength character, the extra protection could be desirable.  My current character is not a fighter, so I upgrade armor to anything captured that is better.  Anything that I can I hand-down to companions.  This is a mounted character, so weight may not be what it is for you -- spending points on Athletics will offset weight to a degree.

Or will your character be a melee fighter, or a missile expert, a hybrid, or ???

Imo, compromising armor for weight is not worth it. (That's why some mods tried to make lighter armor more viable by introducing bigger penalties for wearing heavy armor.)
Compensate encumbrance with Athletics skill increases. Your running speed in battle is not that important, unless you are trying to run away from enemy infantry, and their cavalry is absent.

In this game while of foot, you have no chance against multiple opponents, because they can strike through each other.  What I end up doing while fighting a mob is cutting them down while backpedalling.  For that to work reliably you need to be fast. 

It happens most often when I get trapped in their spawn point, and they kill my horse, but when I'm on foot it also happens.  I tend to let my guys attack the enemy face to face, while I try to hit their sides and back.  They sometimes turn around...

Edit: In my opinion mods tried to make wearing lighter armor worth it even on horseback.  On foot I see no reason for heavy leg protection.  AI never attacks your legs while on foot.  I don't remember being hit there once.

In Warband, there's little reason to use light armor, but if you want to, go for Sarranid Leather Armor.  The game mistakenly considers it metal for some reason, so it gets modifiers like Thick, Reinforced, Lordly, and even Rusty (rusty leather?  WTF? :???:).  It's good for its weight (9 kg.).  You should also invest in the best gauntlets you can find, since they weigh very little and give extra body armor. 

Leg protection actually does matter a bit; if you're charging archers on foot with your shield raised, they'll aim for your unshielded legs.  With high Shield skill, this doesn't matter because MAGIC, but without it, you might want some decent boots.  Hardened Khergit Leather Boots weigh just one kg. and give 20+ leg protection.

Mkhedari said:
In Warband, there's little reason to use light armor, but if you want to, go for Sarranid Leather Armor.

Thanks Sarranid Leather Armor was one of the ones I was considering. As you already pointed out, it is quite good for it`s weight.
As for fighting on foot, I`m simply a sucker for it. From the very first time I started up this game, it felt more natural to me then galloping around like crazy, and missing your targets half the time.
However, fighting mounted is easier... more forgiving.

I would just go for the heaviest plate armour i can find combined with the strongest shield and a balanced elite scimitar. If your pure heavy infantry tank is the way forward :wink:

perhaps but i always found the problem with that is that bots just mob you and they seem to be able to attack through the other bots and still hit you so a shield is pretty much essential if you want to survive vs a mob of higher level bots

I go for long arming,pike(used long awp, but ally bots were too close...),morning star and husc shield.
Third wep is just awesome in sieges as its crush shields, blocks and do pretty much damage in pierce type...

Just make sure that your first hit is at the very top of the sword then just back peddal and 1 shoot everything (rarly 2 shoot).

52c * 5=235c damage.
Packpeddal ~ -30%
Packpeddal attack ~ 180c. w/o armor
P.A w/armor ~ 180 - 50%
P.A w/w ~ 90 damage, when you have 5 Power strike. ~110 when when you got 10.

Back
Top Bottom