• Yes

Votes: 82 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 102 34.7%
  • Buff Armor instead

Votes: 139 47.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Spearmen in their current incarnation are not better enough against cavalry to make them worth taking over heavy infantry. Which means they are not good enough.

Then what's the point of removing spears from general infantry?

No, the best heavy infantry have spears. Notably Sturgian Veterans, Vlandian Sergeants, Imperial Legionaries, and Khuzait Darkhans.

Surgian Veteran Warriors and Vlandian Sergeants doesn't have spears.

They switch to spears to deal with cavalry and switch to swords to deal with infantry. A lot of lower level infantry have spears as well, I know for a fact the entire Vlandian line all have spears as secondary weapons from peasants all the way to sergeants.

The spear's only purpose right now is to stunlock horses, they are inferior to swords in every other way.

Even if that was true, what's the point of removing spears from general infantry, how it is related?

The game isn't balanced arround MP whatsoever, in fact, MP and SP have very little to do with each other, only names and looks of some of the troops.

Weapon proefficiencies and unit stats are different, armor value in whole is different, MP has universal armor value with damage modifiers tied to body parts, taking into account the 1 armor value that unit has for the whole body, while SP has localized armor and localized damage that is taking armored/unarmored body parts into account, even some same named classes differ in equipment choice in MP to that they have available in SP etc....

Anyways, archers ARE very powerfull in MP too, the arrows basically having no drop no matter the distance and the scope that is always point blank, as opposed to Warband where it was pretty challenging to shoot with a bow, for example, upwards to a castle wall while you are beneath.

Last edited:
Anyways, archers ARE very powerfull in MP too, the arrows basically having no drop no matter the distance and the scope that is always point blank, as opposed to Warband where it was pretty challenging to shoot with a bow, for example, upwards to a castle wall while you are beneath.

Do no about MP but in SP autoaim is toggled on by default. If you turn it off, you'll see that arrows do have significant fall off.

8uN2S.jpg
If you mean the "Vertical aim correction" option, yes, everybody knows about it, and yes, it is an option in the MP as well.
The SP archery is not really an issue for the player, its more of an AI that has some problems (sometimes OP, sometimes useless).
As for the MP, i said its insanely powerfull, and it will remain so even with having that check box as optional, because there is no reason why anyone would put himself in a disadvantageous position by turning it off (come dedicated servers, hopefully this could be enforced serverside).

I`m excluding the PvPvE modes like Captain mode from the balancing issues here, as it includes both players and a number of AI, and can be pretty messy as of now.

Last edited:
Then what's the point of removing spears from general infantry?
Because if spears are buffed, which they absolutely should be, it would also be a commensurate buff to heavy infantry unless they lose the spears. Like I said, a choice between spearmen and heavy infantry should be a choice between anti-cav fighting ability and anti-infantry fighting ability. They should NOT be useless outside of their specializations but that should be their main use. It gives a reason to have both in an army as they serve different purposes.

Surgian Veteran Warriors and Vlandian Sergeants doesn't have spears.
If you read an earlier post I corrected myself that Sturgian Shock troops have the spears. And as of the latest stable build Vlandian sergeants absolutely have spears.
latest

Last edited:
If you read an earlier post I corrected myself that Sturgian Shock troops have the spears. And as of the latest stable build Vlandian sergeants absolutely have spears.

Sturgian Shock Troops doesn't have spears either, they have war razors. War scythe like weapon.

Last edited:
8uN2S.jpg
If you mean the "Vertical aim correction" option, yes, everybody knows about it, and yes, it is an option in the MP as well.
The SP archery is not really an issue for the player, its more of an AI that has some problems (sometimes OP, sometimes useless).
As for the MP, i said its insanely powerfull, and it will remain so even with having that check box as optional, because there is no reason why anyone would put himself in a disadvantageous position by turning it off (come dedicated servers, hopefully this could be enforced serverside).

I`m excluding the PvPvE modes like Captain mode from the balancing issues here, as it includes both players and a number of AI, and can be pretty messy as of now.
I didn't know about "Vertical Aim Correction". What is this supposed to do?

It is on by default. If you choose to turn it OFF, it makes your aim "realistic", arrows have a drop, and your aim is not sniper accurate.
1 thing its good for is for Siege defence, you dont have to aim down from the target if you turn off this setting.

I didn't know about "Vertical Aim Correction". What is this supposed to do?

It is on by default. If you choose to turn it OFF, it makes your aim "realistic", arrows have a drop, and your aim is not sniper accurate.
1 thing its good for is for Siege defence, you dont have to aim down from the target if you turn off this setting.

Arrows have always drop, aim correction or not. What vertical aim correction does is it calculates the drop depending on the distance to the object you are aiming at and automatically adjusts your vertical bow angle for that when you shoot. It's like a laser range finder and ballistic computer on a modern tank.

I think we all agree it should be OFF by default in MP, with no option to turn it on. Currently it's basically the "autoblock" of MP.

Anyways, this thread is for SP, i just wanted to clear things up when drawing parallels between SP and MP archers, mainly AI, so now that is clear, i will simply
[\derail]
[\post]

Last edited:
I think we all agree it should be OFF by default in MP, with no option to turn it on. Currently it's basically the "autoblock" of MP.

It should be off by default in SP as well. It took me time to realize that it's in effect by default, because I have newer used it in the Warband and I was overshooting my targets once I started plying the Bannerlord. And then I spend some time figuring out why is trajectory of arrows so flat ...seemingly. Only then by accident I found out that damned auto aim is on whole time!

Saying arches should be stronger or fine as is because "its realistic" is silly in a game thats hardly realistic at all. Its just plain not fun and unbalanced how cavalry cant charge into archers without taking massive casualties.

a cavalry charge into archers is basically suicide. And if there in shield wall I dont think they can attack can they?

Looters can deal like, 10 or 20 damage on me when I have one of the better armors in game. its just absurd how arrows do so much with heavy armor.

Low quaility archers should NOT be able to deal so much damage. Warband had it for the most part right and more fun. Archers needed a bit more of a buff sure but now there I cant really charge into them without my horse dieing or several of my cavalry units losing their horses. There is nothing cavarly can do other then picking off stranglers here and there. Once again using the "realistic" argument is absurd in a game like this.Its not balanced.

This was one of my biggest frustrations with Bannerlord early on, but I realized the problem was with me rather than Bannerlord. I'd become used to the habits and muscle memory of Warband despite playing the game for the first time a few weeks ago. I imagine it will be much more difficult for veterans of the series to adapt to this game. But I was disrespecting enemies and charging right into them going for couch kills, only to get oneshotted off my horse, by enemies as lowly as looters. Very humbling. Charging an archer is also a very bad idea, for good reason. Even if they don't take you, they might take half your horse. And a peasant with a spear? Forget about it.

I had to dump my bad habits. I invested in a longer lance, I regulated my speed more carefully and only charged full pelt when the battle allowed it. I paid attention to aggro, and made sure I wasn't so far ahead that I was the sole focus of the entire enemy front line. I made sure as a smart cavalryman, that I prioritize occupied targets, and be prepared for those targets turning on a dime and whipping out a spear, and stopping my horse cold. If that happens, will I be surrounded or can I ride off? Is my lance aimed carefully enough at a wide angle that I'll hit him before he hits my horse?

Also when flanking archers, I made sure to wait long enough that I am actually flanking rather than just charging into archers. Ideally those archers are occupied, and you approach with the cover of a hill or at least some trees. If you flank too early you're going to lose men.

I feel like I'm a less lazy player in Bannerlord, and my kills are mostly well earned. All of those early game frustrations have now evaporated. I advise everyone to break their old Warband habits, you will enjoy the game far better than calling for nerfs that may never come. Adapt and overcome.

This was one of my biggest frustrations with Bannerlord early on, but I realized the problem was with me rather than Bannerlord. I'd become used to the habits and muscle memory of Warband despite playing the game for the first time a few weeks ago. I imagine it will be much more difficult for veterans of the series to adapt to this game. But I was disrespecting enemies and charging right into them going for couch kills, only to get oneshotted off my horse, by enemies as lowly as looters. Very humbling. Charging an archer is also a very bad idea, for good reason. Even if they don't take you, they might take half your horse. And a peasant with a spear? Forget about it.

I had to dump my bad habits. I invested in a longer lance, I regulated my speed more carefully and only charged full pelt when the battle allowed it. I paid attention to aggro, and made sure I wasn't so far ahead that I was the sole focus of the entire enemy front line. I made sure as a smart cavalryman, that I prioritize occupied targets, and be prepared for those targets turning on a dime and whipping out a spear, and stopping my horse cold. If that happens, will I be surrounded or can I ride off? Is my lance aimed carefully enough at a wide angle that I'll hit him before he hits my horse?

Also when flanking archers, I made sure to wait long enough that I am actually flanking rather than just charging into archers. Ideally those archers are occupied, and you approach with the cover of a hill or at least some trees. If you flank too early you're going to lose men.

I feel like I'm a less lazy player in Bannerlord, and my kills are mostly well earned. All of those early game frustrations have now evaporated. I advise everyone to break their old Warband habits, you will enjoy the game far better than calling for nerfs that may never come. Adapt and overcome.

^^^^ This. So this.

Sturgian Shock Troops doesn't have spears either, they have war razors. War scythe like weapon.
It is still a polearm. While glaive type weapons are in a MUCH better spot than thrusting spears, I am still fairly certain they stunlock cavalry and are thus relevant to the discussion. If I am incorrect in this assumption let me know.

Last edited:
It is still a polearm. While glaive type weapons are in a MUCH better spot than thrusting spears, I am still fairly certain they stunlock cavalry and are thus relevant to the discussion. If I am incorrect in this assumption let me know.

Glaives, rhomps and menavs can stunlock cavalry but they also can kill a galloping rider outright with a swing. When people say that spear infantry have issues, they are usually not including those weapons in the discussion precisely because they have such a devastating swing.

Glaives, rhomps and menavs can stunlock cavalry but they also can kill a galloping rider outright with a swing. When people say that spear infantry have issues, they are usually not including those weapons in the discussion precisely because they have such a devastating swing.
But I'm not just saying "spearmen suck", which they do and thrusting spears do need a general buff... I am trying to argue that one of the reasons why spearmen are never used is because heavy infantry perform almost as well vs cavalry as spearmen, without being dead weight in melee. This is primarily due to the fact that almost every heavy infantry has a polearm as a primary or backup weapon. Take away spears from heavy infantry and their anti-cav ability will be reduced without affecting their close combat capabilities. Couple this with the aforementioned buff to thrusting spears and you will need to have both spearmen and heavy infantry in an army to be effective, which is desirable IMO.

If you just buff thrusting spears people will still ignore spearmen because heavy infantry have both swords and spears, and switch between the weapons depending on the situation. So why take spearmen when heavy infantry can perform the role of spearmen and switch to swords when things get dicey?

But I'm not just saying "spearmen suck", which they do and thrusting spears do need a general buff...

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm saying that most posters on this forum don't use "spear" as a synonym for "polearm" or vice versa. That's where the confusion and corrections come from.

OH wow I had no idea about the vertical aim correction, when I get home I'm turning that off as I keep trying to compensate for distance like "normal"

They don't stunlock horses, they don't have trust attack. While both spears and these weapons are classified as polearms, they function very differently. Billhooks, glaives and warscithes are primarily slashing weapons and you can't use shields with them. In functionality they are more close to the 2H axes then to the spears.

They don't stunlock horses, they don't have trust attack. While both spears and these weapons are classified as polearms, they function very differently. Billhooks, glaives and warscithes are primarily slashing weapons and you can't use shields with them. In functionality they are more close to the 2H axes then to the spears.

Glaives have a thrust.

Back
Top Bottom