Archers in battles?

Users who are viewing this thread

And where are the crossbows? The crossbow sharpshooters in Warband are lethal when used in large numbers in castle defense. I haven't noticed any crossbows in VC yet, although it seems to be involved with the skills, etc? Historically crossbows were not very widespread until much later, so I don't mind not having them available in VC. I haven't seen one crossbow unit or a crossbow for sail anywhere? One of my favorite weapons in Warband!

Picts have the crossbows, but they don't spawn with them too often. It will be improved in 1.04. However, crossbows of this era are more like large bows (and we don't really know if Picts used them for military purposes).

florinteal said:
They didn't flank deliberately. They ended up shooting into my group's flank as a result of my own efforts to flank and their archers backing off from the melee. Maybe you should try actually using archers intelligently before dismissing them?

I use they in sieges, usually against picts. But I hired about 5-6 archers(just becaused I found they as prisoners and ONLY archer warriors) for a troop of 150 mixed heavy infantry and spearmen. Using intelligently or not, they aren't worthy for spend so much money because the leak of versality when compared the infantry unities of the VC. The pal asked if the archers are worthy or not, and I answered with my opinion: No, they are not. There is other unities much better.

indianer said:
I agree that archers are only there to support the army, and perhaps they are a bit overpowered in Warband? I guess the question is, if your army is stronger with the same numbers of spears and infantry instead of archers, why bother with the archers? If your force is more powerful by replacing them with spears and infantry, that makes them pretty useless? Especially because most of the spears, infantry and skirmishers carry thrown weapons anyway? But as I said, it makes a nice change of strategy/ tactics from Warband (set at a later time period), and is probably more historically accurate this way. I don't mind having large scale almost all infantry battles for a change.

Exactly :grin:
I used a thing of the Morgh's Editor to make the sling unities to shoot, and they are a better substitute of the archers, because usually the slingers carry better secondary weapons. Wait for the 1.04 and build a troop with 10-15% of slingers if you want some versality :smile:

A lot of what Lars demonstrates is accurate. In Japan they still aim with the Yumi bow the same way they always have for thousands of years. They fire the bow from the right side instead of the left, as (Lars points out is more efficient). Some of what he is doing is just "trick shooting" for entertainment, showing how fast he can draw, aim, and fire using his own muscle memory skills. Archers in the past could draw a bow with a draw weight of 120lbs, without needing a compound bow to relieve the tension for them.

I have several recurve and classic bows myself, and I learned how to use a classic bow when I was 7 years old. I still aim without using sights, and aim using the feel of the arrow and muscle memory, because that is how I learned, and it requires using muscle memory skills and intuition (instead of a sight) which I enjoy. I have practiced a few of Lars's techniques to verify if they are practical and useful, and a lot of it makes more sense and is more efficient than some modern techniques. Firing from the right side of the bow instead of the left, etc. If using a bow was a way of life for you and you practiced everyday, you would come to many of the same conclusions. Modern archery is a sport, not a means of survival, so there is a very different level of focus involved there.

Check out this video of the Yumi bow and the techniques they still use today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX6DFD1_aZk
(This is how archery is done)

FelipeII said:
The pal asked if the archers are worthy or not, and I answered with my opinion: No, they are not.

Don't throw the "it's just my opinion" line in my face. You made a snarky comment about what I had said and I responded in kind. I've seen archers put huge dents in armies in VC, despite the fact that they aren't the ridiculous one hit killing machines they are in native. Believe it or don't.

I find archers to be a great threat when applied to the flanks of engaged infantry. I'll typically have them off set to the left of my spear wall and wait for them to engage, re adjust my archers, and have them wreck the flanks of the enemy shield wall with infantry to guard them and cav to hammer the flanks.

Back
Top Bottom