Archer Militia

Users who are viewing this thread

Taleworlds, GIVE ME MY SLING + SHIELD UNIT!

HEAR MY CALL!
+5
HEAR! HEAR!
giphy.gif

Who would like to take bets on TW never changing the flavor text of them, but also never actually making them able to choose between Crossbows and Bows again?

Who would like to take bets on TW never changing the flavor text of them, but also never actually making them able to choose between Crossbows and Bows again?
How would you balance crossbows on archer militia? Only thing I can think of in that regard is something that is even weaker than the Light Crossbow but can at least be used on horseback. x:

How would you balance crossbows on archer militia? Only thing I can think of in that regard is something that is even weaker than the Light Crossbow but can at least be used on horseback. x:
Yeah, they have those in 1.8.x, I forget what they called them. Ultralight crossbows that can be reloaded at a walk or on horse. That would be interesting, but I'd honestly rather see those on light cav or something, there needs to be a tangible difference between the Militia's ranged weapon choices.
Archer Militia's crossbows were taken before we even introduced ranged-weapon flinching iirc. Xbows have been nerfed into the ground since then. Vlandian Arbalists are fine, and they have access to a mid-tier sword and shield as well, which Militia would not. Give them something comparable to the Arbalists xbow.
If their xbow is more powerful, just give them 20 bolts. The ranged weapon ammo count in this game in general is too damn high.
Slightly Unrelated Rant:
High Ammo Counts in general remove three somewhat interesting decisions
--Can you just wait out an enemy in shieldwall to deplete their ammo
--Should I reposition my archers so we can scavenge previously shot ammo?
--Should I take crossbows, knowing that my enemy only has Bows and can't shoot my ammo back at me?

If Empire had access to more Xbows when fighting Vlandia, ammo scavenging becomes an interesting strategic decision point.
I'd certainly take the Ultralight Xbows for Archer Militia, but I'd prefer them to have a slightly harder hitting and slower weapon choice. They'd still be slower shots than Arbalists in any case without the cheese extra ammo + fast reload perk, and are a non-starter in melee with the butter knife and no shield. We should just give them the damn Pugio.

Last edited:
To bring back the conversation about crossbow on Archer Militia, I imagine a lot of other things would need to be buffed around that addition, which I think they should anyways so as to buff the class around the Recruit's terribleness. Perhaps the following could be added:

New Perk Weapon: Cavalry Crossbow
Damage: 60
Most other stats identical to Light Crossbow
Only slightly stronger than Sturgian Longbows but has the advantage of being usable on horseback

New Base Weapon: Watchman's Bow
Damage: 44
Accuracy: 86
Fire Rate: 89
Ammo: 35

Slightly stronger than the "Melee weapon" bows of the Battanian Ranger and Sturgian Hunter, but still a bit worse than Khuzait and Aserai bows

Perk 1
Stronger Shortbow:
Replaces Watchman's Bow with Imperial Recurve Bow (Shared with Palatine Guard), BUT incurs a -8 max ammo penalty (quiver size of 27)

Crossbow:
Replaces Watchman's Bow and Arrow (35) with Cavalry Crossbow and Bolt (25) respectively. Weaker than Vlandian crossbows but can be used on horseback

Axe:
Replaces Gladius with Woodsplitter Axe (Shared with Sturgian Brigand). Also grants +5% extra movement speed and reduces ranged accuracy penalty while moving by 10% (stacks with Mobility)

Last edited:
(Probably a bug) The militia archer class, including the empire, becomes op when you ride a horse. All Archers who are not horse archers should reduce their ability to bow in horseback riding.

Try riding a horse while playing the any archers yourself. The aimes are gathered. Its bug

Back
Top Bottom