Arbelist

Users who are viewing this thread

arbelist.png

Please leave all feedback relating to the Vlandia Arbelist in this thread.

In captain mode, at least, the Vlandian crossbow spam is a wee bit much to deal with. Both troops are very well-armored, and sharpshooters can even get shields to block incoming fire while reloading. Stack that on top of more AP than regular archers get, and it really does become a bit ridiculous to deal with. I get that crossbows are meant to pierce armor, but lowering arbalests' armor values enough that shooting back at them is more viable would be a sound change I think.

I find it relatively well-balanced, the only issue I'd have with this is that unfitting armorpiece for the defense itself. The olden red, long tunic from the beta was a better fit.

Maybe more, dunno how this costs less than sturgian hunter and same as khuzait pea shooter bow, with the same xbow as base sharpshooter
The overall low prices of Vlandia gives it so much more versatility, im very curious to know what justifies these low prices. Especially Arbelist, such a crazy STRONG unit for nothing more than 110 moral ? Damn. I take this unit over Khans guard anytime.

Too cheap. Should be 120 morals.

I'd rather see the crossbow be made faster reloading but weaker, or have crossbows lose their reloaded status once put away for a melee weapon so they can't just jump away and fire a shot off quick. On top of this increase the godamn bubble that someone gets bumped from when they are too close to someone/something.

How does this class have less armor than the peasant levy?
Visually the Arbelist has a helmet and not a peasant cap??
I'd say, same applies for body armor as well but i guess it can be not as evident.

More of an aesthetic thing, but this class is called the arbalist, yet cannot equip the weapon of the same name while the sharpshooter can. May be confusing to people.

From my personal experience and I think this also applies to archers of Aserai and the Empire but I find that a team that has a disproportionate number of archers can win games with extremely little effort. I imagine simply nerfing the stats of ranged weaponry would create more issues than they solve too but I feel as if archer spam should be neutered to such a degree that forces players to look into a more balanced team composition.

Last edited:
I think this is the most underwhelming class in the game right now.

Its base armour value is 3, the lowest of all Vlandia classes. Even the peasant starts at 5 armors and has access to an improved armor perk which can bring its armor to 14. The arbelist has no survivabilty, it's forced to be a bad hit & run class because of its low armour value. I have two problems with this:
1. Visually. The arbelist wears a kettle helmet and padded armour, but only has 3 armour value. Compared to a peasant with improved armour (14 armour total) that's a joke since the peasant is literally wearing a leather cap and that's it. To me it doesn't make sense at all.
2. The low survivability of this class wouldn't be an issue if the class had decent ranged options. I've made this suggestion/criticism during beta already: I don't understand (from a balance point of view) why you put both the good weapons and armour on the heavy ranger classes. Yes you can take the heavy crossbow and the heavy bolts to bump up your damage, but then you have no shield. The shield perk is pretty much a must have because of the already abysmal survivabilty of the class. So you end up with a slow moving, relatively low ranged damage, low armour, low melee damage class. It's just not really an option except in competitive play where you, as an arbelist, can count on your teammates' help to stay alive. In regular skirmish I really don't see a point in taking this class.

So here's my suggestion, trying to be constructive after all:
1. Bump up their armor or give them an improved armor perk
2. Give them the heavy crossbow by default or increase the fire rate of the light crossbow so the class can actually be somewhat hit & run

You do realize that the archers from most factions are currently overpowered, right? TaleWorlds also doesn't seem interested in buffing other troop types in such a way to encourage a more balanced team composition, either.

Sure, they have almost no armor at all, but the damage output of their crossbow and spammability of this particular troop type is high enough to make this game unplayable for me.

Last edited:
You do realize that the archers from most factions are currently overpowered, right? TaleWorlds also doesn't seem interested in buffing other troop types in such a way to encourage a more balanced team composition, either.

Sure, they have almost no armor at all, but the damage output of their crossbow and spammability of this particular troop type is high enough to make this game unplayable for me.
I agree archers are strong, but I disagree with the idea that the cheap archers are strong. I think the problem lies mostly with the heavy ranged classes. That's why I suggest spreading the gear around so the light archers have better ranged options while the heavy archers have better armour but less powerful ranged options, I think that'd help alot. And yes, I also feel TW isn't particularly interested in buffing troops atm, but that shouldn't stop me from giving this feedback I guess.

I don't think the light archers are a problem at all really, or atleast they don't make the game unplayable for me. To clarify, I'm talking purely from a skirmish point of view and have little experience in Captain mode. 3 lives for 360 gold with this gear is for me a bad trade compared to the superior gear (better armour, better shield, better crossbow) of 2 sharpshooter lives for 320 gold. I just don't think it weighs up.

Actually the Arbelist is probably the best light archer IMO, simply because of how much crossbows overperform right now.

The problem is with the economy costs, heavy archers outperform every other heavy class and it's own light variant way too hard to be allowed to spawn twice in skirmish IMO. I mean christ, Vlandia can double spawn Sharpshooter then a Peasant and loot it's crossbow and weapon at max gold.

Actually the Arbelist is probably the best light archer IMO, simply because of how much crossbows overperform right now.

The problem is with the economy costs, heavy archers outperform every other heavy class and it's own light variant way too hard to be allowed to spawn twice in skirmish IMO. I mean christ, Vlandia can double spawn Sharpshooter then a Peasant and loot it's crossbow and weapon at max gold.
All praise the medieval machine gun.
If you take the light crossbow(take mace or axe) you will be like a machinegun turret. That damn crossbow reloads so fast and is very accurate and deals pretty high damage. Hope the next nerf will fix xbows.

Really dig the changes for Captain mode. Overall, the concept of an Arbelist kit that is slightly sub-par archery wise with a Shield+1h capability comparable to a lt inf is really solid.

However, thematically, that Longsword is worth 3 years pay for this dirty peasant archer. The man is literally wearing rags.

Let's give him a Falchion, Axe, or Club that matches his pay rate a little more?

Back
Top Bottom