SP Antiquity Oriental Arabia: Between Empires - 6th Century Middle East

Users who are viewing this thread

Arabia: Between Empires - العرب بين الإمبراطوريتين
yDr6c6xxERMM.png

About the period​

The 6th century is a time of great change and turmoil for the major kingdoms that dominate the Arabian peninsula, Himyar and Kindah are in their twilight, facing conquest and annihilation by Aksum and the Sassanid Empire, raids and political erosion by the nomadic tribes around them.
This period is immortalized in the great poetry of the pre-Islamic period, with many legends such as Imru al-Qays and Antarah ibn al-Shaddad living at this time, carrying out feats of heroism and chivalry. Our mod starts on the eve of the Kindite war in 525 AD, coinciding with the Sassanid invasion of Himyar and 45 years before the birth of the Islamic prophet Muhammad.

In recent times, we have seen more media depictions of pre-Islamic Arabia near our timeframe, depicting the rich and diverse cultures that developed along the frontier between Rome and Persia, notably those of the Lakhmids and Ghassanids. We will be exploring the Arabo-Aramaen cultures of the Syrian frontier in our mod as well as the Arab tribes which settled along the frontier more recently. Along with them, we will also be exploring the often-overlooked kingdoms, confederacies, and city-states of the Arabian peninsula itself.

Whilst the mod's primary focus is on Arabia and the migratory Arab tribes settling the frontier, careful attention will also be given to the nations of East Africa, Persia, and the Eastern Roman Empire. Our goal is the create an immersive environment steeped in exciting legend and historical accuracy for the player, with absolute freedom to roleplay and use our setting as a sandbox for the many interesting cultures that occupied our map area at this time!

The world and atmosphere​

image.png

image.png
image.png

Please note: The map will be expanded to include the Caucasus.

Careful attention will be paid to the spirit and atmosphere of this time period, this is a time of legendary kings and outlaw warrior poets, honor-bound tribal confederacies, and impetuous raiders.

As such, we plan to implement future mechanics that will add more roleplay elements to the mod in the form of minigames, a more in-depth honour and relations system as well as more diplomacy and kingdom management mechanics, possibly even a religious system.

The factions

The Empires:

The Eastern Roman Empire

The Sassanid Persian Empire

The Empire of Aksum

The Kingdoms:

The Kingdom of Himyar

The Kingdom of Kindah

The Lakhmids of al-Hirah

The Kingdom of Nobatia

The Kingdom of Mahra

The Ghassanids

Tribes and Confederations

The Tayy

The Bani Kalb

The Salihids

The Bani Qaynuqa

The 'Azd of Oman

The Bani Uqayl

The Bani Judham

The Hawazin

The Quraysh

The Bani Juhayna

The Bani Bali

The Blemmyes

The Outlaws

The Aghribat ul-Arab

The descendants of African slaves with free Arab fathers, the Aghribat ul-Arab (Arab Crows) form a category of legendary warrior poets, committing to feats of heroism to earn their freedom, acknowledgment, and status in the clan.

The Sa'alik

Brigand poets, outcasts, and renegades, the Sa'alik are those cast out from the tribe who live on the fringes of society, taking refuge where they can and forming warrior bands with other outcasts, the vagabond lifestyle of the Sa'alik is preserved as some of the most esteemed pre-Islamic poetry.

We will be taking full advantage of Bannerlord's clan system to create an accurate atmosphere of the clan and tribal dynamics for all factions, including the royal houses of Iran and the dynasties of the Eastern Roman Empire. Note that we plan to add in more mercenary clans and possibly landless factions following further research.

Enjoy some teaser assets!

naynwaha.png
taqibostanhelmet.png

koyunjikhelmet.png

cheragorendero.PNG

helmetduraeuropos.png

kavad_crown.png

crownofkhosrow.png

Please note that all displayed content is WIP and may be subject to future improvements.

Join the team!

If you, like us, find this period to be extremely interesting and in dire need of accurate portrayal, we would be glad to have you in any capacity!
The current development team is very small, with me (Goblin/عبدالاَياخ) heading development and 3D modeling, Andaluz handling writing and Huriale helping with research and 2D art, and Nawaf making Arabic voice lines.

As stated prior, the aim of this mod is to do justice to every culture we portray. In a world focused on factions from similar cultures, we must do our utmost to ensure the world feels diverse and alive by highlighting the unique traits and aspects of everywhere, one and thing we portray throughout the development process.

In order to help realize this goal, we are currently looking for:
  • Someone to assist with world map development and settlement placement
  • A programmer to create and implement new roleplay mechanics into the game
  • A 2D artist to create loading screens, banners, etc
  • Voice actors and translators for Greek, Middle Persian, Ge'ez, and Old Nubian voice lines.
  • An XML editor to assist with porting 3D assets into the game
A statement on the open-source nature of this mod:

I'm sure many of you, like me, want to see the total conversion scene start kicking off for Bannerlord and give us the same variety in completed content as we had in Warband. To help further this, everything created by myself in this mod will be open-source. If other developers who join the team in the future consent, then their work will also be shared with other teams.
Currently, we are collaborating and sharing assets with our friends at Burning Empires (Bannerlord) and 457AD for Warband.

Join us on Discord!

This would indeed be great. Best wishes.

Please, could you consider incorporating the Syr Darya ( Jaxartes ) as your northeast corner border ie to include Sogdian ( Bukhara, Samarkand ) factions ?
I would love to charge in with my chakar lancers .........

Last edited:
This would indeed be great. Best wishes.

Please, could you consider incorporating the Syr Darya ( Jaxartes ) as your northeast corner border ie to include Sogdian ( Bukhara, Samarkand ) factions ?
I would love to charge in with my chakar lancers .........
This is what I am currently proposing for an expanded world map:
proposal.png

It stops just at Bukhara so Sogdians will be included and even if I don't manage to get the map that large in the end there will 100% be a Sogdian mercenary faction.

Back
Top Bottom