ANZAC day

Users who are viewing this thread

thesneakster

Grandmaster Knight
Before sunrise, on the morning of April 25th, 1915, the Australian New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) invaded the Gallipioly peninsular in Turkey. But, they landed in the wrong spot, on a Beach now known as ANZAC cove. this beach had no cover, and was surrounded by cliffs, and Turkish soilders (no offence Armagan, and anyone else who is Turkish)) Despite this, the ANZAC soilders rushed to the cliffs, and started to scale them. The fighting was feirce, and only three trenches were taken on the first day, but because of a lack of re-enforcemants, the third one had to be abandonded. On the first day, 6000 out of the 30000 troops were killed.

This ultimatly futile battle for the Gallipioly Peninsular had many more great and bloody battles, such as lone pine, where ANZAC troops rushed the Turkish trenches, and engaged in feirce close quaters fighting for many hours. But despite this, after eight months of fighting, the troops were withdrawn from peninsular.

ANZAC's also fought many battles on the Western front, such as Amiens, Passendale, and the Battle of the Somme. In all these battle, ANZAC's fought bravely, and were highly regarded by both Allied and Enemy troops and commanders.

Of course, there is no residual hostility between the Turkey and AUstralia, bacause, we were both fighting for another country, Germany and Britian. During the stalemate in the trenches, the Australians and Turks would often talk to eachother, exchange meals, and call a ceasefire to collect their dead.

ANZAC day comemerates this sacrifice by the troops to fight for the freedom of us, and on this day we will rember them

Bah... I won't celebrate your nonsense holidays...... Only 147 days till Talk Like a Pirate Day
happy_dance.gif

The Muslims fought outnumbered Ten to One in the name of God and for Freedom, but dont see them making a holiday for it.
Actualy i have no idea if they made a holiday for it or not :razz:

Uh, when? That's far to vague and can be said about heaps of groups.

ANZAC day is celebrated only by Australians, for good reason. I for one don't give a **** about America's war for independance, ANZAC day means more to me, despite it's comparitively tiny scale.

Randy said:
Uh, when? That's far to vague and can be said about heaps of groups.

ANZAC day is celebrated only by Australians, for good reason. I for one don't give a **** about America's war for independance, ANZAC day means more to me, despite it's comparitively tiny scale.

Precisly what i think. Australia, FTW! (at least on ANZAC day)

sneakey pete said:
Of course, there is no residual hostility between the Turkey and AUstralia, bacause, we were both fighting for another country, Germany and Britian. During the stalemate in the trenches, the Australians and Turks would often talk to eachother, exchange meals, and call a ceasefire to collect their dead.

Yes and no. "Yes" part: There is no hostility between Turkey and Australia because Anzacs were actually not a part of the war.

"No" part: Although Anzacs were not a part of the war, we Turks were. Our country was under military occupation and no matter who were trying to assault it, it had to be defended, and that was what have happened.

:evil: **** you guys we aussies were definately a part of the war we fought and died against insurmountable odds and you guys want to mock and redicule them  :evil:

No ferretsniper, no one here is mocking. Being part of a war is not something that can be explained by the number of causalties. Your soldiers were obviously there. But the point is that they were here on behalf of some other nation/state, not for the good of your own nation.

Besides, no line written in this topic gives you the right to insult. I wish you wrote more mature answers.

ferretsniper said:
:evil: **** you guys we aussies were definately a part of the war we fought and died against insurmountable odds and you guys want to mock and redicule them :evil:

Fighting and dying against insurmountable odds is nothing to celebrate unless you fight and die against insurmountable odds for a reason that's worth celebrating.

Defending commonwealth in a foreign country thousands of miles away? Cool!

Yeah, realy good reason to waste so many lifes for the common wealth of a country far far away...

<deniz> said:
Defending commonwealth in a foreign country thousands of miles away? Cool!

Back then we still owned most of the world, including the Suez Canal and most of Israel. Not that far away really :smile:

Yeah, realy good reason to waste so many lifes for the common wealth of a country far far away...
Erm, perhaps you should look up what the commonwealth actually was  :roll:

Want to know what a good reason realy is?
Look at the Russians, they were the first to fight Hitler, and it was for freedom, sacrificing many for it.

The muslims, outnumbered by an army more than 10 times their own size, they fought for their freedom, and in the name of God, sacrificing almost everyone.

Aussies, fighting for the common wealth and wasting many valuable troops in a land far away, yeah now i see why it is such a good reason...

History of the Commonwealth

Actually, you may find the rest of the site (Commonwealth Secretariat) enlightening.

Course, if you think encouraging democracy, funding health initiatives and other works in foreign countries and being among the first organisations to guarantee human rights isn't a worthy cause (to name but a few) then so be it.

You might want to check your history too - Russia had a non aggression treaty with Hitler's Germany until 1941  :roll:

An4Sh said:
Look at the Russians, they were the first to fight Hitler, and it was for freedom, sacrificing many for it.

The muslims, outnumbered by an army more than 10 times their own size, they fought for their freedom, and in the name of God, sacrificing almost everyone.

Aussies, fighting for the common wealth and wasting many valuable troops in a land far away, yeah now i see why it is such a good reason...

So, your saying that the russian fighting the germans was good, but just because we live over here (which is ont he same planet by the way) it isn't good for us to go over and help. I mean, why did the british sacrifice lives? Germany never invaded them?

sneakey pete said:
An4Sh said:

So, your saying that the russian fighting the germans was good, but just because we live over here (which is ont he same planet by the way) it isn't good for us to go over and help. I mean, why did the british sacrifice lives? Germany never invaded them?

It was clear that Germany, was going to invade Europe once he captured Russia, since he already attacked France....\

But it was a foolish act to save lifes for a land far away.

Back
Top Bottom