Anyone still play the original 268BC beta for M&B 0.960?

Users who are viewing this thread

Aenima

Sergeant
Started playing it again recently and have remembered why I love it. The only thing that annoys me is the size of certain garrisons. I've got a 220 man army, and yet some cities have over 600 men garrisoned in them, and that's without warlords in there!

Is there any way I can lower the amount of men in settlements through the script? I wanna make the map Roman red, and at the moment that's a long, LONG way away.

I actually just downloaded 268BC yesterday, as I've been on a craze for mods for older versions of Mount&Blade, though I guess I can't say I'm still playing it as I've only played it for a few hours. :razz:

Michigan J. Frog said:
I actually just downloaded 268BC yesterday, as I've been on a craze for mods for older versions of Mount&Blade, though I guess I can't say I'm still playing it as I've only played it for a few hours. :razz:

How's it going so far? Do tell.

-Faction
-Armoury load-out
-Troop type etc

Interested to hear what you've got.

Well, I'm playing as a mercenary captain and a vassal for the Roman Empire. I went through a few of the starting characters too see what they got to begin with, and I especially liked the gladiator. For about two hours I just played as a gladiator fighting in the arena (the arena fights are surprisingly intense), and then I looked at the other characters and liked the balance of the mercenary captain most.

I'm currently trying to get enough soldiers to siege Syracuse (Hellenic City States) because it is right next to Rome and there are no enemies near it. Sadly, all of the cities have over 500 defenders in them so I am going to have to find another route at the moment.

Other than that, I have not gone far enough into the mod to give a true report on it, so I will be back again to give a better response.

Michigan J. Frog said:
Well, I'm playing as a mercenary captain and a vassal for the Roman Empire. I went through a few of the starting characters too see what they got to begin with, and I especially liked the gladiator. For about two hours I just played as a gladiator fighting in the arena (the arena fights are surprisingly intense), and then I looked at the other characters and liked the balance of the mercenary captain most.

I'm currently trying to get enough soldiers to siege Syracuse (Hellenic City States) because it is right next to Rome and there are no enemies near it. Sadly, all of the cities have over 500 defenders in them so I am going to have to find another route at the moment.

Other than that, I have not gone far enough into the mod to give a true report on it, so I will be back again to give a better response.

Don't be bowled over by the sheer size of garrisons; I've found that there are never more than 100 defenders you need to kill before you take the walls. The ratio of attackers to defenders simply matters about how many men are on the field at the same time, although that still makes things tricky....at least you don't have to cut down 500 men to capture a city though!

I'm also a merc captain that's become a vassal of Rome.....263 party limit, and I'm launching an invasion of Spain. We're at war with the Greeks and the Seleucids, and I've plowed my way into Anatolia....the Greeks have no remaining cities, and the only general I've seen of theirs has only one man in his army (himself) so they're finished. Macedonia aren't at war with us, and I'm making a lot of money off of Athens, which I own. I might upload some pics in a bit, always cool to see someone else playing the mod. There don't seem to be many people on it, which is weird considering it's the beta of the mod everyone wants  :???:

Well, I have just bought the game because it wasn't playable on warband and I really wanted to play that era. So I started the game and I was really excited but when I saw the map for the first time, instead of romans I had the kingdom of swadia, instead of Gauls rodhoks... and that's not what the screenshots showed, so I think I'm doing something wrong.

To be honest, there's no problem with the game, it works fine, but you know, it would be better if the legionaries weren't swadian soldiers at arms and the city names weren't the ones from vainilla. That doesn't happen with the eastern part of the map though. What could be happening?

Alright, first of all, you have M&B, not Warband. Just setting down the facts so it is easier to get.
Second, from what I understand, you wanted to play the MOD, as in the mod 268BC.
Well, to simplify the problem:
when you open M&B and get the start up window, in the modules list, what module is being played? If it is Native, that means it is the original game. If it is 268BC, then it is the mod.

This might be the problem, but I obviously don't know until you respond, so if you still have the problem, give more detail on what the problem is.

sorry if I sound rude, wasn't trying to be if it came across that way.

Sorry, English is not my first language so I think I didn't explain properly.

Let's see. I bought warband a lot of time ago, but I really wanted to play hegemony, so yesterday I bought M&B because porting the mod to warband seems to be a far reality.
Today I downloaded the mod, and I installed it. I open M&B and I get the startup window, I choose Hegemony 286... I create a character, start my adventure and I see the map of Europe. So, everything okay so far. The problem is that city names are not correct. it is like playing native with a giant map of Europe and new units, but nothing more changes. The kingdoms are still the same, instead of Rome I get Kingdom of Swadia and instead of Gauls, there's Kingdom of Rhodoks and so on...

I hope it's easier to understand this time... and thanks for helping!

EDIT: sorry, just editing my poor advice. what version are you using.

back to the original topic...
I've taken Syracuse and loaded with about 175 troops and 4 prisoner lords. Now I'm just working on getting my army larger and getting good relationship with king, and then hopefully becoming marshal, and finally lead a giant campaign to wipe out all of Hellenic City States and Macedonia at the peninsula block of land that's right across from the Roman Republic (4 towns, 3 castles, 5 villages  :smile: it's gonna double the Roman Republic).

As for my armies, I've filled my town with infantry and archers, and I'm carrying around with me about 35 cavalry. I'm really preferring the Mercenary Gallic Cavalry compared to the others I've used, Roman and something-Bodyguard Cavalry. They have some better skills and proficiencies than the Gallic, but the Gallic have better Attributes and their riding skills are equal.

And not related to my campaign: I'm really enjoying the arena and tournament fights way more than I expected. The weaponry is fantastic, and I really love the balance of how each troop is best against another, and how I have to strategize more than I ever did before. And on the subject, I also really like how the spears are all one handed weapons now. Not only is it easier for me to build of proficiency, but I also like that it means it does act like a lance, and actually like how a spear should. I wish that there was an attribute you could add/takeaway from polearms to let them be couched or not. (I also really like the giant groups of spearmen with 4.1m spears; they add a great challenge to playing with cavalry, but whenever I crash into them I kill all and never lose troops :wink:)

I still have more to say after I conquer Macedonia and Hellenic City States, and after that I think I'm going to act as a gladiator for a while and then conquer Rome as a mercenary captain. Till I play more.

I came back to it after Warbanding for a few months. I am having a blast as a mercenary captain with no lord. Fighting rebels and deserters to gain money and renown.

But my sound has gone out for just this mod and I can't figure out why.

I had to start a new game, somehow my savegame was glitched or something. I've decided to run with Carthage this time. I've got a nice ragtag group of infantry and cavalry of about 100 or so with a few archers and skirmishers that I use as an anti-cavalry plan.

I did.Playing as a Mercenary Captain,but I decided to only get Samnites in my team.

PS:what file should I change to make sure that Roman Republic Rebels becomes...uh...Samnium?

Back
Top Bottom