Anyone have a list of traits?

Users who are viewing this thread

I just noticed I'm decietful (-2 honor) which is evidently what the game thinks of me executing about 20 people so far.

Is there a list? The encyclopedia gives a non helpful paragraph about it.

There is one thing they do, they effect your relation and ability to recruit with recruiters. Select "treated people well" in character creation to get three traits at the start. Set realistic recruiting. Go around to recruiters. You'll see that opposing traits gives you -1 with some of them, making you unable to get recruits from them. It's pretty ugly actually, it made the early game so hard I avoid that choice during character creation. If you right click on the recruiter in the recruiting screen you can see his/her traits.

There is one thing they do, they effect your relation and ability to recruit with recruiters. Select "treated people well" in character creation to get three traits at the start. Set realistic recruiting. Go around to recruiters. You'll see that opposing traits gives you -1 with some of them, making you unable to get recruits from them. It's pretty ugly actually, it made the early game so hard I avoid that choice during character creation. If you right click on the recruiter in the recruiting screen you can see his/her traits.
lol, treating people well is a surefire way to make everyone dislike you! Wait... what?

Honest - Devious/Deceitful
Calculating - Impulsive
Merciful - Cruel
Generous - Closefisted
Daring - Cautious

It is possible to grind some traits via repeating specific actions or quests, but the Honest - Devious/Deceitful spectrum is the only one with enough ways to materially move the needle that you're likely to acquire one of those traits during gameplay. And as mentioned, there are few consequences for having or not having traits at present. Persuasion is one area where it is supposed to make a difference, but that's been bugged until it was supposedly fixed in 1.4.1, which is still in beta. Haven't tested the fix myself.

lol, treating people well is a surefire way to make everyone dislike you! Wait... what?

Honest - Devious/Deceitful
Calculating - Impulsive
Merciful - Cruel
Generous - Closefisted
Daring - Cautious

It is possible to grind some traits via repeating specific actions or quests, but the Honest - Devious/Deceitful spectrum is the only one with enough ways to materially move the needle that you're likely to acquire one of those traits during gameplay. And as mentioned, there are few consequences for having or not having traits at present. Persuasion is one area where it is supposed to make a difference, but that's been bugged until it was supposedly fixed in 1.4.1, which is still in beta. Haven't tested the fix myself.
Nobody likes nice guys, ya know?

i wonder if there are +2 / -2 for the other traits? This is part of what prompted the question. Is there you know.. super honest or something? Like many other things this system begs to be improved upon.

Nobody likes nice guys, ya know?

i wonder if there are +2 / -2 for the other traits? This is part of what prompted the question. Is there you know.. super honest or something? Like many other things this system begs to be improved upon.
brb grinding my eyeballs out to get my Honour to +2. On second thoughts, I don't think I have the stomach for that.

I expect it is possible to find the answer somewhere in the game files, but I don't know where to look. My list is built from a collection of observational sources.

Makes a lot of sense to me. The trait system is there to represent your character. Like minded people get well along together. Obviously reality is more complex than that, but I guess it would be quite difficult to integrate lengthy philosophical debates, which is why we get the much simpler trait system.

It plays a role when plundering villages. If your companion has Merciful trait, he/she will complain if you take such actions and might leave your party. Other than that I haven't found any other use of traits in the game.

It plays a role when plundering villages. If your companion has Merciful trait, he/she will complain if you take such actions and might leave your party. Other than that I haven't found any other use of traits in the game.

I have a companion with Generous trait and she is always the first to complain when I run out of money to pay wages or out of food for my party. So probably other traits have similar effects too.

Don´t think so but the traits are just placeholders and do nothing anyway.

I could be totally wrong, but I think they are supposed to affect persuasion dice roll chances with different characters, right? As in, your traits relative to the other character's traits make it possible for some persuasion options to pop up vs. others. And, I think, having more or less of a trait seems to have some impact on which persuasion choices have higher or lower dice roll chances to succeed. (As in, charm x trait-based-modifier affects the dice roll chance.)

I do agree though, it does seem like they are just stumps of a more fully developed trait/character system that is hopefully still to come.

I could be totally wrong, but I think they are supposed to affect persuasion dice roll chances with different characters, right? As in, your traits relative to the other character's traits make it possible for some persuasion options to pop up vs. others. And, I think, having more or less of a trait seems to have some impact on which persuasion choices have higher or lower dice roll chances to succeed. (As in, charm x trait-based-modifier affects the dice roll chance.)

I do agree though, it does seem like they are just stumps of a more fully developed trait/character system that is hopefully still to come.

Persuasion is one area where it is supposed to make a difference, but that's been bugged until it was supposedly fixed in 1.4.1, which is still in beta. Haven't tested the fix myself.

In 1.4.x they do seem to have an effect. I did a conversation with Svana and reloaded about 20 times. Nothing seemed to make sense with the %'s I was presented with, but looking at traits if I picked options that were consistent with her traits, I started getting the "Yes, you might be correct" line even though she hates me.

I guess that's how it works, it's just a small test with one NPC. Sure seems that way. The %'s were failing me consistently.

That system of conversation reminds me of console (xbox, psx, etc) play. I've never liked that sort of thing anyway.

Daring companions complain if you retreat or duck out of battle.

Yes they seem to affect persuasion but it´s still just random at all.

Yes they seem to affect persuasion but it´s still just random at all.

Maybe it’s just power of suggestion, but I feel like they do affect persuasion outcomes relative to known traits - and it’s only the listed success odds that are wrong / not working. E.g my character has calculating, and I swear that I get successful outcomes when I choose talking points with calculating way more often then the listed odds would suggest. In 1.4.

@Badcritter @somethinglightthat

Maybe it’s just power of suggestion, but I feel like they do affect persuasion outcomes relative to known traits - and it’s only the listed success odds that are wrong / not working. E.g my character has calculating, and I swear that I get successful outcomes when I choose talking points with calculating way more often then the listed odds would suggest. In 1.4.

@Badcritter @somethinglightthat
It's unfortunate that there's no way to technically prove such a hunch.

My assumption has always been that traits which light up green should increase the stated (and actual) chance of success for that option, and red ones should reduce it. Since I've been on 1.3.1 for a long time, and I've logged more hours on the forum than in the game for the past two weeks, I finally bit the bullet and moved to 1.4.1 to try and get some data points on this (since trait impact on persuasion is supposed to be fixed in 1.4.1).

Before I upgraded I checked Family Feud persuasion chances on 1.3.1. They are always the same regardless of traits, Charm skill etc:
Option 1: 74% success
Option 2: 9% fail, 9% critical success (increases to 10% with Meaningful Favors perk)
Option 3: 9% fail, 59% success

On 1.4.1, where traits are supposed to have been fixed for persuasion -

I created a character with the Mercy trait, which is one of the influencing traits for option 3. All other traits and skills were grey. Chances were:
Option 1: 71% success
Option 2: 14% fail, 5% critical success
Option 3: 14% fail, 56% success (Mercy green)

I created a character with the Valor trait, which is one of the influencing traits for option 2. All other traits and skills were grey. Chance were:
Option 2: 14% fail, 5% critical success (Valor green)
Option 3: 14% fail, 56% success

Conclusion:
Even on a reportedly "fixed" version, traits do not change the stated chances of success.

Either my assumption about how it should work is wrong, or the fix failed. Traits providing some kind of bonus or additional chance, the magnitude of which is not visible, is possible. It would take a massive sample size of well documented actual results to confirm or disprove that beyond reasonable doubt.

Last edited:
It's unfortunate that there's no way to technically prove such a hunch.

My assumption has always been that traits which light up green should increase the stated (and actual) chance of success for that option, and red ones should reduce it. Since I've been on 1.3.1 for a long time, and I've logged more hours on the forum than in the game for the past two weeks, I finally bit the bullet and moved to 1.4.1 to try and get some data points on this (since trait impact on persuasion is supposed to be fixed in 1.4.1).

Before I upgraded I checked Family Feud persuasion chances on 1.3.1. They are always the same regardless of traits, Charm skill etc:
Option 1: 74% success
Option 2: 9% fail, 9% critical success (increases to 10% with Meaningful Favors perk)
Option 3: 9% fail, 59% success

On 1.4.1, where traits are supposed to have been fixed for persuasion -

I created a character with the Mercy trait, which is one of the influencing traits for option 3. All other traits and skills were grey. Chances were:
Option 2: 14% fail, 5% critical success
Option 3: 14% fail, 56% success (Mercy green)

I created a character with the Valor trait, which is one of the influencing traits for option 2. All other traits and skills were grey. Chance were:
Option 2: 14% fail, 5% critical success (Valor green)
Option 3: 14% fail, 56% success

Conclusion:
Even on a reportedly "fixed" version, traits do not change the stated chances of success.

Either my assumption about how it should work is wrong, or the fix failed. Traits providing some kind of bonus or additional chance, the magnitude of which is not visible, is possible. It would take a massive sample size of well documented actual results to confirm or disprove that beyond reasonable doubt.

FWIW, my crackpot theory speculates that maybe the traits do affect odds, but that the text listing the odds is not responding to that.

But yeah, agreed, not worth the time to collect a huge data set in testing! We’ll just let this get fixed later

I don't believe for one minute the success chance listed for dialog choices in this game. Most of the time my chance appears to be almost ZERO. Perhaps my character stutters so much that no one can understand him. I basically have avoided all dialog interactions that have a chance of failure since in my case, failure is almost guaranteed.

Back
Top Bottom