Anybody know the difference between these overhead animations?

Users who are viewing this thread

I noticed sometimes there's different animations for a single attack. The standard, and a seemingly more aggressive animation that often coincides with the yelling/taunt sound from the character. In the past i've noticed when spawning in, my first attack will often be the aggressive one.

Does anyone know the parameters behind this, how it's triggered, why it happens, is there a difference in damage, etc?

Thanks!

The video demonstration will be available here when it's done processing:

I think we figured it out. To do the "lunging" attack, with a 1h put left foot forward with D then while moving forward, long press LMB and you will do a sweeping overhead. When the attack is complete, your stance will have shifted to right foot forward or "fencing" stance. If the attack is blocked or hits the ground, the stance shift will not occur.

Tested it with a 2h sword and it works as well, i'm guessing it works on most swinging weapons.

Last edited:
I think we figured it out. To do the "lunging" attack, with a 1h put left foot forward with D then while moving forward, long press LMB and you will do a sweeping overhead. When the attack is complete, your stance will have shifted to right foot forward or "fencing" stance. If the attack is blocked or hits the ground, the stance shift will not occur.

Tested it with a 2h sword and it works as well, i'm guessing it works on most swinging weapons.

Whoa this is really good info. Makes sense because it’s like the mnb version of starting your swing from your legs!

Whoa this is really good info. Makes sense because it’s like the mnb version of starting your swing from your legs!

yeah it's kind of like if you're an orthodox boxer with your left foot forward, your right swing is usually your hardest. In this case it's a swing into a switch stance (what Jack Slack would call a "shift"):

Yes this is the stance system taking affect. Notice that the stance, once you start your swing doesn’t change anymore. It also doesn’t change if you run straight forward or backwards.

Yes this is the stance system taking affect. Notice that the stance, once you start your swing doesn’t change anymore. It also doesn’t change if you run straight forward or backwards.

From what I know, stance can only change in one of several ways. The most direct way is to press a or d. You can do this while moving, but not while swinging or blocking.

Another way is to crouch, which will always put your left foot forward.

The third and final way is to perform any attack while running forward while in the left foot forward stance. This attack which often has a different animation will end in the right foot forward stance. I've tested this with numerous 1h and 2h weapons and it's consistent. It can be overheads, stabs, or swings. But as far as I know there's no attack that can bring you from the right foot forward to the left foot forward stance.

It almost seems like the left foot forward is a "power" stance or was intended to be so at one point.

I'm very curious to know the design and intended functionality of these stances. It seems like an interesting element to me (I know many or most will disagree). This animation could be a relic of an abandoned feature. Hard to say, but i'm certainly curious to know more.

It almost seems like the left foot forward is a "power" stance or was intended to be so at one point.

I'm very curious to know the design and intended functionality of these stances. It seems like an interesting element to me (I know many or most will disagree). This animation could be a relic of an abandoned feature. Hard to say, but i'm certainly curious to know more.

Left foot forward is good for the right to left swing. You want that stance if you try to outrange your opponent and then hit him quick with a strike. Right foot forward is good for spamming the left to right swing and then chain another swing from the same direction. The stance will not change during the chain animation.
It is hard to pull off since you need to watch your feet before you swing your first attack or intuitively press d right before starting your swing.

Left foot forward is good for the right to left swing. You want that stance if you try to outrange your opponent and then hit him quick with a strike. Right foot forward is good for spamming the left to right swing and then chain another swing from the same direction. The stance will not change during the chain animation.
It is hard to pull off since you need to watch your feet before you swing your first attack or intuitively press d right before starting your swing.

Yeah. I always switch to right foot forward, mostly out of habit whenever I spawn in the duel server.

Back
Top Bottom