Any word on working traits?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi ,
Has anyone heard a response from the devs on when traits are going to work? Start every playthrough with one in valor and lose it in first battle...etc.etc..
Cheers..

I read somewhere else here that you start with a manually added trait, but after you begin the game's calculations start, so you'll lose it fairly quick if you aren't doing the things that keep that trait.

They seem to work for me on 1.5.7 but there are some inconsistencies when it comes to the AI lords/ladies with them. I consistently find them with the honorable trait looting my villages, or chasing down peasants.

I have somehow been able to achieve valour 2. But, I do also remember in older builds losing valor 1 almost instantly. So far I have done this play though without reloading at all, so maybe it has something to do with that? How funny would it be you couldn't get valour if you regularly scummed fights?

I am roleplaying as a battle-obsessed honour-bound baron this time around so it may just be not backing down from a fight. Not only that but I openly seeks any war parties more dangerous then his (not significantly but he is fine with engaging in a 250vs300) simply because It's not in his character to run from such a potentially a great opportunity for battle.

I know Honour is simply letting lords go or helping villages, ie not accepting gold reward from the deserter quest, etc.

I think you can get generosity from giving villages grain when starving (can take a while)

And I know you can dishonorable/devious from killing lords or raiding too much from previous playthroughs. Or abandoning men to get away consistently *evil cackle*

No idea how to get calculated or impulsive, or any of the other traits.

eXTI64Y.jpg

I know Honour is simply letting lords go or helping villages, ie not accepting gold reward from the deserter quest, etc.

I think you can get generosity from giving villages grain when starving (can take a while)

And I know you can dishonorable/devious from killing lords or raiding too much from previous playthroughs. Or abandoning men to get away consistently *evil cackle*

No idea how to get calculated or impulsive, or any of the other traits.
To be accurate, you get Honor from fulfilling (most) quests. No accepting other deals, no stealing the items. You can get Generous from seed grain quest, along with accepting a reduced payment for draught animal quests, along with daily ticks for keeping your party morale high. Dishonorable comes from executions, but raiding gives you Cruel (opposite of Mercy). Abandoning men constantly pushes you towards Cautious (opposite of Daring). Calculating is gained mostly by releasing lords.

I have no idea how to gain Impulsive.

To be accurate, you get Honor from fulfilling (most) quests. No accepting other deals, no stealing the items. You can get Generous from seed grain quest, along with accepting a reduced payment for draught animal quests, along with daily ticks for keeping your party morale high. Dishonorable comes from executions, but raiding gives you Cruel (opposite of Mercy). Abandoning men constantly pushes you towards Cautious (opposite of Daring). Calculating is gained mostly by releasing lords.

I have no idea how to gain Impulsive.
Thanks for the correction about the negative traits, that does sound correct now that I have been reminded. It's been awhile since I played a maniacal son of a *****.

I have noticed loosing positive traits seems to be much more sporadic then gaining them. I would have to check the code out to speak with certainly but I think there are many more ways to loose them. For instance, I am confident I lost a newly gained honor 1 very early on for abandoning men, then regained it for letting other good natured lords go. Nonetheless, I've let 100+ of lords go free and never had calculating.

edit 1

I looked through a bunch of lords, I couldn't find any with calculating + honour; so I suspect some acts of good are interpreted as calculating if the character has certain negative traits

Last edited:
They seem to work for me on 1.5.7 but there are some inconsistencies when it comes to the AI lords/ladies with them. I consistently find them with the honorable trait looting my villages, or chasing down peasants.
[...]
NPC traits used to have no impact on party's strategic behavior like raiding, while some impacted their tactical behavior like avoiding/going into hard battles.
I hope this will change in Bannerlord, but raid is atm a main part of war incomes for NPC. They don't have much choice, nothing personal. ^^

what do these traits do? I've never put much thought until i seen this thread. I almost always get valor in every playthrough tho i've never understood why. Are these important in any way?

what do these traits do? I've never put much thought until i seen this thread. I almost always get valor in every playthrough tho i've never understood why. Are these important in any way?
Trait-matching helps (a little) with persuasion checks. It also gives you a very slight bonus/penalty (1/-1 per) per match or mismatch when dealing with notables.

NPC traits used to have no impact on party's strategic behavior like raiding, while some impacted their tactical behavior like avoiding/going into hard battles.
I hope this will change in Bannerlord, but raid is atm a main part of war incomes for NPC. They don't have much choice, nothing personal. ^^
Yes, I've noticed this as well. My characters wife Leina (valour 1) does not like running away either and I've noticed Ingalther (also valour 1) being fine throwing himself in unlikely odds, whilst Derthert (cautious 1) only willingly engages if the odds are incredibly in his favour or will remain on the defensive even if we should probably be taking the initiative. But yes, hopefully when the time comes traits give some variance to the way lords behave in all situations. Would be cool to see honourable lords not raid (or only raid if they have to, or were commanded to) or let the player go free after combat.

This brings up a topic I have been hoping to discuss here for a while, and probably will make an OP if I can summon the time; The WB patient on shadow of wars "nemesis system". If you are unaware I implore you to read about it -- but essentially in short WB has patented a video game mechanic (or so it seems). When it comes down to brass tacks the 'nemesis system' and the way warbands characters remember events and will seek out revenge on the character or each other actually have a lot in common.

Has anyone else had a similar worry or train of thought?

Yes, I've noticed this as well. My characters wife Leina (valour 1) does not like running away either and I've noticed Ingalther (also valour 1) being fine throwing himself in unlikely odds, whilst Derthert (cautious 1) only willingly engages if the odds are incredibly in his favour or will remain on the defensive even if we should probably be taking the initiative. But yes, hopefully when the time comes traits give some variance to the way lords behave in all situations. Would be cool to see honourable lords not raid (or only raid if they have to, or were commanded to) or let the player go free after combat.

This brings up a topic I have been hoping to discuss here for a while, and probably will make an OP if I can summon the time; The WB patient on shadow of wars "nemesis system". If you are unaware I implore you to read about it -- but essentially in short WB has patented a video game mechanic (or so it seems). When it comes down to brass tacks the 'nemesis system' and the way warbands characters remember events and will seek out revenge on the character or each other actually have a lot in common.

Aye nemesis would be cool , kind of here already in a very small way as if you raid someone's village doesn't it increase the chance of yours being so raided?

Aye nemesis would be cool , kind of here already in a very small way as if you raid someone's village doesn't it increase the chance of yours being so raided?
Would have to check the code out to be certain, but in warband that exactly how it worked. It troubles be greatly to think a monolith like WB could come after TW for something like this.(didn't realized this pun until I edited, mercy on me)

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction about the negative traits, that does sound correct now that I have been reminded. It's been awhile since I played a maniacal son of a *****.

I have noticed loosing positive traits seems to be much more sporadic then gaining them. I would have to check the code out to speak with certainly but I think there are many more ways to loose them. For instance, I am confident I lost a newly gained honor 1 very early on for abandoning men, then regained it for letting other good natured lords go. Nonetheless, I've let 100+ of lords go free and never had calculating.
Outside of a very brief period at the start (perhaps two or three months after EA?) the Calculating/Impulsive traits were invisible. The only way you would know someone had them was a change in the personality flavor text, i.e. "She is reputed to be entirely conventional" (no traits) vs. "She is reputed to be ambitious" (only the Calculating trait). Not all combinations are accounted for and it isn't always clear that what is being described is Calculating/Impulsive compared to other traits (Impulsive in particular had/has flavor text that makes it sound like other things) but the flavor text definitely gave a clue in most cases.

Not that most people noticed...
Not really. Patents have to be somewhat specific to be enforceable. A game can't rip off the exact Nemesis system anymore but pretty much no game (to my knowledge) even tried in the years since the Mordor games came out.

Outside of a very brief period at the start (perhaps two or three months after EA?) the Calculating/Impulsive traits were invisible. The only way you would know someone had them was a change in the personality flavor text, i.e. "She is reputed to be entirely conventional" (no traits) vs. "She is reputed to be ambitious" (only the Calculating trait). Not all combinations are accounted for and it isn't always clear that what is being described is Calculating/Impulsive compared to other traits (Impulsive in particular had/has flavor text that makes it sound like other things) but the flavor text definitely gave a clue in most cases.
To clarify the negative traits I was only referring to Cruel and Dishonourable that my first character had.
Not really. Patents have to be somewhat specific to be enforceable. A game can't rip off the exact Nemesis system anymore but pretty much no game (to my knowledge) even tried in the years since the Mordor games came out.
Of course, patents have to be somewhat specific to be enforceable; what I am curious if anyone else thinks its as seriously f* up to patient gameplay mechanics as I do -- especially coming from a game that imitated almost all of its other mechanics from assassins creed or other games of that ilk and for the reasons I have already stated -- and video games being considered an art form, etc.

But, yes not all hope is lost. There is a good probability WB will never have grounds to act on the patient because the patient may be a lot more restrictive than they are letting on; this is a common use for patients. (and would prefer to keep those cards close to the chest as a fear/gatekeeping tactic)

My fear is that of the unknown. We will never know for certain until the day comes it becomes public or they act apon it. Not only for Bannerlord or TW but for the games industry as a whole.

Back
Top Bottom