Any Warband map editors that don't require maps to be premade in a 3D program?

Users who are viewing this thread

Undying Soul

Recruit
Hello, I am a fresh member of this community and I would like to know if there are any map editors that would allow me to edit existing maps or make my own from scratch without having to pre-make them with Blender or such programs?

I don't know how to use 3D programs and I work best when I make it up as I go, and a map editor that allows me to create maps in real time would really help.

There is Thogrim's Map Editor (https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,5646.0.html) But it was last updated in 2008 so it is totally useles... You will probably not find any other map editor without using Blender or 3D programs.

SenpaiHinds said:
Map editing is relatively simple but despite there being half a dozen different unofficial tools to do it with, none of them can do the job on their own.

You need to edit two things:

1. map.txt. This is a file found in the module folder and defines the terrain and polygons - basically, everything you see on the map except for towns and lords and bridges and the like.
The problem is that there are a lot of half-finished map editors and you'll need just about all of them to make a good functioning map.
Thorgrim's editor is for the preliminary base - you can import bmp files and edit the terrain with brushes.
The Bloodpass editor is better for tweaking as it doesn't crash as often. You can also move parties around - more on that in 2.
Swyter's cartographer is for importing/exporting the actual terrain mesh, so you can edit it in 3d modelling software and have a bit more control.

2. module_parties.py. These are cities, villages, bridges and bandit spawns -- I'm assuming you're using the module system. In that case, you can use the bloodpass editor or swter's cartographer to edit their positioning.

That's pretty much it, but to assign towns to different factions or change spawn amounts, you'll have to edit module_scripts.py.

Back
Top Bottom