Any update on progress of code reconstruction?

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't really care when EA ends and Bannerlord is officially released. It's simply a change of wording. What I care about is the stability of code, which may affect stability of mods. I had somehow considered self-made mod to accommadate features I believe nececessary but not in vanilla at the first month of EA release, then I heard that TW are reconsructing code of Bannerlord, so I decided to wait for its completion, but not any update since then.
EDIT: by stablility, I do not mean that no change since then, it's infeasible, of course the code need further update after that. By that I mean there won't be significant change for a relatively long period, like several months. Having to update code of mod with respect to new patch every season is fine, but every month, or even every other week, is not fine, at least for me.

Last edited:
As long as the game is in EA there will be ~ monthly updates.
I'm talk about stablizing code for existing features. Updates that adding new features but do not change existing logic/reference is not likely to have significant impact on existing mods(unless this new feature overlap with the mod, but this means TW will take over maintaing and updating of the given mod, then maintaining and updating mod is not something the modder need to worry about), so frequency of this kind of update does not matter, in the context of mod stability.
EDIT:Oh I forgot adding new features may require significant change in existing code, but this kind of updates is not supposed to happen frequently

Last edited:
I'm talk about stablizing code for existing features. Updates that adding new features but do not change existing logic/reference is not likely to have significant impact on existing mods(unless this new feature overlap with the mod, but this means TW will take over maintaing and updating of the given mod, then maintaining and updating mod is not something the modder need to worry about), so frequency of this kind of update does not matter, in the context of mod stability.
The game isn't finished yet, so existing features are also likely to be changed. So far they didn't release a single update that only added new features, so chances are pretty high that your mods will break as long as they are updating the game.

The game isn't finished yet, so existing features are also likely to be changed. So far they didn't release a single update that only added new features, so chances are pretty high that your mods will break as long as they are updating the game.
Alter existing features does not necessarily break mod. I'm talking about existing logic/reference. For example,
  • a mod may referenced to something in base code, then if that referenced object changed, the mod is broken,
  • if a mod called some functions in base game, but the functions is renamed/deleted, the mod will broken
  • if a mod is based on existing data structure/function output, and TW changes that, the mod will broken
  • etc
Update on existing features like the following is not likely to break existing mod
  • changing values of paremeters of functions
  • edit code to accelerate runtime, but does not alter input/output
  • reorganize structure of code but does not change output/input
  • etc
Both of the above may occur during optimization and reconstruction of existing code, but alterations in the second part are unlikely to affect stability

1. There is no one-time refactoring effort. The one that was announced long ago, also finished long ago. Expect constant and unannounced changes.
2. Their patches constantly break mods and modders are giving up because of this. You can guess why this happens.

Alter existing features does not necessarily break mod. I'm talking about existing logic/reference. For example,
  • a mod may referenced to something in base code, then if that referenced object changed, the mod is broken,
  • if a mod called some functions in base game, but the functions is renamed/deleted, the mod will broken
  • if a mod is based on existing data structure/function output, and TW changes that, the mod will broken
  • etc
Update on existing features like the following is not likely to break existing mod
  • changing values of paremeters of functions
  • edit code to accelerate runtime, but does not alter input/output
  • reorganize structure of code but does not change output/input
  • etc
Both of the above may occur during optimization and reconstruction of existing code, but alterations in the second part are unlikely to affect stability
I don't know what you want to hear, I already answered your question in my first post.

As long as the game is under development, stuff can and will change.

1. There is no one-time refactoring effort. The one that was announced long ago, also finished long ago. Expect constant and unannounced changes.
2. Their patches constantly break mods and modders are giving up because of this. You can guess why this happens.
Obviously not finished, but wonder how far we are from the end
I don't know what you want to hear, I already answered your question in my first post.

As long as the game is under development, stuff can and will change.
I'm saying I know the there will be frequent updates, but this does not answer my question since patches does not necessarily affect stability/break mod :rolleyes:Progress on code reconstruction, which is one kind of update and is more likely to affect stability, is what I want to know

You are assuming someone knows when they'll stop making mod-breaking changes. Not even Taleworlds know that.
There's no such thing as a "code reconstruction" in their plans. There are occasional component refactorings as they are needed.

You are assuming someone knows when they'll stop making mod-breaking changes. Not even Taleworlds know that.
There's no such thing as a "code reconstruction" in their plans. There are occasional component refactorings as they are needed.
As long as they are updating the game, there will be mod-breaking changes(of course). That's why I'm talking about a relatively long period without that kind of change, not getting rid of that kind of change permanently.

Obviously not finished, but wonder how far we are from the end

I'm saying I know the there will be frequent updates, but this does not answer my question since patches does not necessarily affect stability/break mod :rolleyes:Progress on code reconstruction, which is one kind of update and is more likely to affect stability, is what I want to know
Obviously it's possible that your mod isn't affected by an update, but nobody can guarantee that.
If you are referring to the refactoring they told us about, that one finished in August or September. That doesn't mean other parts of the code aren't going to change though.

I would bet there are mods from March 2020 which are still compatible while others break with a single update.

Im pretty sure with most games when they add anything new or major changes are made all mods break this isnt a Taleworlds exclusive thing
True, but frequency of this kind of change may vary, that's why I'm saying 'a relatively long period', I believe I labeled that phrase as bold in OP
Obviously it's possible that your mod isn't affected by an update, but nobody can guarantee that.
If you are referring to the refactoring they told us about, that one finished in August or September. That doesn't mean other parts of the code aren't going to change though.

I would bet there are mods from March 2020 which are still compatible while others break with a single update.
I'm not trying to say anything absolute, frequency(of this kind of update) and ratio(of this kind of mod) is where the problem lies

Last edited:
As long as they are updating the game, there will be mod-breaking changes(of course). That's why I'm talking about a relatively long period without that kind of change, not getting rid of that kind of change permanently.
We are all waiting for that, because that's the starting point when large-scale modding can begin. It's assumed that the final release would be such a milestone. When will this be is a matter of furious speculation typically ranging from one to two years in the future.
Since they'll need to keep making important changes in the foreseeable future, it's not a good time to start modding. Check back every 6 months.

Frequency(of this kind of update) and ratio(of this kind of mod) is where the problem lies
True, but there is no simple fix for it. The question is, what has higher priority? Feature updates or mod compatibility? As long as the game is in development I'd say features and tweaks are more important than mods.

We are all waiting for that, because that's the starting point when large-scale modding can begin. It's assumed that the final release would be such a milestone. When will this be is a matter of furious speculation typically ranging from one to two years in the future.
Since they'll need to keep making important changes in the foreseeable future, it's not a good time to start modding. Check back every 6 months.
Oh ok ,ending of EA is supposed to be the milestone. I'm assuming that something is supposed to be priorized, like during construction of a building if deficiency was detected at foudation, it is supposed to be fixed before building upper floor, though for EA game, developers have to release new contents to make EA players satisified, but issues about foudation(code sturcture) still needs to be prioritized. So you mean that assumption may not be true? Then I doubt if TW has an overview on their program structure and whether they are working on that in a 'treating head when headache' fashion

Most games, without mods have one year, or to of "life", there are some extraordinary mods that still keep games like Rome TW or Skyrim playable forever, games with 15 years . Unfortunately the hype of this game is passing, call it what you want, EA or else , but the fact is that this game is already a year old, and less and less modders are investing their time on it, People are not going to wait forever and new games will appear, so I think the game should be quickly stabilized and officially released. But unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the general opinion, so, within a year this is going to be a desert.

True, but there is no simple fix for it. The question is, what has higher priority? Feature updates or mod compatibility? As long as the game is in development I'd say features and tweaks are more important than mods.
Mod compatibility and mod stability are two distinct concepts. On the other hand, refer to Warband, I believe mod compatibility is more important, how to reserve space for furture modification, or in another word, how to make program perform accurately in more general situations, is not as easy as you might have thought, this is kind of common sense for programmers

Most games, without mods have one year, or to of "life", there are some extraordinary mods that still keep games like Rome TW or Skyrim playable forever, games with 15 years . Unfortunately the hype of this game is passing, call it what you want, EA or else , but the fact is that this game is already a year old, and less and less modders are investing their time on it, People are not going to wait forever and new games will appear, so I think the game should be quickly stabilized and officially released. But unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the general opinion, so, within a year this is going to be a desert.
TBH, most Bannerlord updates does not contains any significant change to system design of game, so I wonder why TW keeps doing this kind of updates. It would be better for mod community if TW only update changes in bug fixes/numeric balance/texture/lore/etc. frequently, and update changes in features/background code in a longer period

Mod compatibility and mod stability are two distinct concepts. On the other hand, refer to Warband, I believe mod compatibility is more important, how to reserve space for furture modification, or in another word, make the program to work on more general situations, is not as easy as you may thought, this is kind of common sense for programmers
There is no such thing as mod stability in video game development. There is not a single lead designer who asked himself "will this update break a mod?".

TBH, most Bannerlord updates does not contains any significant change to system design of game, so I wonder why TW keeps doing this kind of updates. It would be better for mod community if TW only update changes in bug fixes/numeric balance/texture/lore/etc. frequently, and update changes in features/background code in a longer period
It looks like most people on the forums are eagerly awaiting more features so I guess that many people wouldn't be happy with a slower development cycle. Currently there is not much sense in modding the game anyway, who knows how many mods are redundant when the game gets released?

Back
Top Bottom