Any update on progress of code reconstruction?

Users who are viewing this thread

There is no such thing as mod stability in video game development. There is not a single lead designer who asked himself "will this update break a mod?".
Mod is not a significant component for most video games, and some developers may even hate modification on their games. But for player community of M&B, obviously this is not the case.:rolleyes:
And I'm not talking about "will this update break a mod?", but "how often an update will break a mod". I don't think frequency of this kind of events is low, otherwise it's hard to explain why more and more modders stopped updating.

Mod is not a significant component for most video games, and some developers may even hate modification on their games. But for M&B community, obviously this is not the case.:rolleyes:
And I'm not talking about "will this update break a mod?", but "how often an update will break a mod". I don't think frequency of this kind of event is low, otherwise it's hard to explain why more and more modder stopped updating.
The question is not why the modders stopped updating but why they even started. Sure, creating assets, models and textures makes sense but anything that involves game mechanics is a waste of time unless you want to practice. But this was already clear as soon as TW announced that Bannerlord will launch in Early Access.

but anything that involves game mechanics is a waste of time unless you want to practice.
This so-called 'waste of time' staff by you is what I care about and want to make mod about :rolleyes: So you do agree making mod for this kind of staff is waste of time at current stage of Bannerlord, now we reach an agreement. What I'm asking is when this will cease to be a waste of time

This so-called 'waste of time' staff by you is what I care about and want to make mod about :rolleyes: So you do agree making mod for this kind of staff is waste of time at current stage of Bannerlord, now we reach an agreement. What I'm asking is when this will cease to be a waste of time
LOL, it's literally the first thing I said in this thread. As long as the game is being developed there is not much point in modding unless you don't fear that your stuff breaks / you want to practice. How long will the game be in development? Nobody knows, probably not even Armagan himself.

LOL, it's literally the first thing I said in this thread. As long as the game is being developed there is not much point in modding unless you don't fear that your stuff breaks / you want to practice. How long will the game be in development? Nobody knows, probably not even Armagan himself.
I believe my explanation about why update does not necessarily break mod, in my first several replies to you, is sufficient
It would be better for mod community if TW only update changes in bug fixes/numeric balance/texture/lore/etc. frequently, and update changes in features/background code in a longer period
And here I have also stated a possible approach to keep updating frequently but minimize impact on modding community

I believe my explanation about why update does not necessarily break mod, in my first several replies to you, is sufficient

And here I have also stated a possible approach to keep updating frequently but minimize impact on modding community
It's not going to happen though because developing the game has a higher priority than mods...

I do hope they don't constrain development with the thought of breaking existing mods, this would be a really stupid decision and it would make progress even slower as instead of refactoring something to fit the current needs they would have to make workarounds and the overall code would be even more of a mess.

The way to have done that would have been to implement base code for all major features and mod-breaking changes (as well as updates to modding tools) to major releases (1.X.y) and minor tweaks/gradual extension of those features through the minor releases (1.x.Y). As that wasn't the approach taken, I don't think it will become the approach now.

Players want to test and play new features as soon as possible though.
Originally this is true, but after so many patches but only a little bit true change to gameplay(and a large potion of them were done by numerical balancing, which means it is not supposed to have sigificant impact on mod stability), I doubt if this is still true. At least no longer true for me.
I do hope they don't constrain development with the thought of breaking existing mods, this would be a really stupid decision and it would make progress even slower as instead of refactoring something to fit the current needs they would have to make workarounds and the overall code would be even more of a mess.
True, but that's the reason why I proposed an alternative update approach. And the OP is asking for plan of TW about this process
As that wasn't the approach taken, I don't think it will become the approach now.
My question is why this is not the case
Judging by Warband? You're going to be waiting another five or six years for patches that break mods to stop coming in.
well, as long as frequency of breaking mod become reasonable(for me a little bit longer than a season is sufficient, like rimworld during EA), I'd like to say it is no longer a waste of time and start to work on mod of my interest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom