Any new unit for next version in warband?

Users who are viewing this thread

Why would there be any?
The unit trees are very simple, and I think it makes sense. Representing all the different stages of experience a soldiers goes through is impossible anyways, so limiting it to the most significant stages of development gives you the important versions without needing to upgrade through a lot of nearly-identical ranks all the time.

Shrugging Khan said:
Why would there be any?
The unit trees are very simple, and I think it makes sense. Representing all the different stages of experience a soldiers goes through is impossible anyways, so limiting it to the most significant stages of development gives you the important versions without needing to upgrade through a lot of nearly-identical ranks all the time.

But its FUN to upgrade them! Part of game

Calradia is in an utter state of total war; I'd be surprised if veterans live long enough to be particularly distinguished from their fellow soldiers unless they get transferred to another unit.

In other words, a veteran doppelsoldner who participated in the storming of Ellis is likely to get the same pay and equipment as a "fresh" (I say that loosely, seeing as all doppelsoldner are meant to be veterans) who got elevated to that position a day earlier.

After all, they have the same chances of survival, effectively, with perhaps a difference of 1%?

Doppelsoldner should be lucky he got a pay raise and a big sword. Could be worse, after all. Also illustrates how human life is worthless in Calradia seeing as you can't treasure a veteran-veteran-veteran unit (with 10 powerstrike and 1000 two-handed, I guess) and keeps them all faceless. I suppose.

Sir William the Brave said:
Why not? I wanna see some foot soldier with sallet and a big sword. PROFIT!  :mrgreen:

Doppelsoeldnern ARE foot soldiers with sallets (and spiffy hats) and big swords! And if that doesn't satisfy you, check Gallowglasses, dismounted Laurian Herreruelos and the various Vaegir special units.

P.s.: Swadian Knights are silly.

The genius of D'sparil is that he didn't create overly extended unit trees, he just made them simple making each individual special in their own right.

In other games you'd think a regular is nothing compared to an elite of the same unit. Like how you'd always seek veteran swordsmen over swordsmen, But here, the gap between the two is marked including the pay and the skills. For example, would you seek to maintain propugnators or just settle for the "already pricey" brigadiers?

The swadian knight becomes a more epic unit comparing it to the lowly demilancer. Would the effect be the same if there was a gradual build up between? How would it feel if it was demilancer --> Mounted Squire/whatever --> knight --> armored knight???

It would feel more accurate, BUT! It would make actual gameplay a lot more annoying; having to upgrade units all the time.

I just keep my Tercio at Pikeman level. Footman -> Pikeman. One upgrade. Done. No bloody hassle to do ten upgrades to get your troops to the level you want them at, no two thousand clicks to build an army.

And if you really need the added strength, you can always upgrade them right before a big battle.

Back
Top Bottom