Any mods to remove ranged weapons from tournaments?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dayve

Regular
I've looked, but couldn't find one. I tried a game where I wasn't able to save/load whenever, a "Realistic" setting game, for the first time in ages, and it just completely reaffirmed my stance on not playing unless I can save and load, ALL THE TIME. Flew through a tournament, couple of close shaves, but generally fine, using 1h+shield and 2h weapons.

The round before last came, it was a 2v2. Me and my guy had bows and arrows, the opponents were a horse with a shield+1h, and and footsoldier with the same. This isn't a challenge, it's ridiculous. You MAY be able to win in that situation, but it certainly won't be with your arrows, because only the AI can get hits with tournament ranged weapons. When I use them, they just fly so far off target it makes me laugh, and of course, you can't block with a dagger, although I see the AI do it ALL THE TIME, because it cheats.

Anyway, is there one?

I wish I had a $1 for every time the game has cheated me of my win.

Last round 1 on 1, I start with a bow and the other guy has a shield
OR
I have a bow and he has a horse and lance
and so on.

I used Tweak M&B to modify them, you can;'t remove the weapons, so I just avoid places that use them, in WB it seems the swadians are less likely to give you a bow.

I also changed it so that you can get rich from a tournament's, like in real life much fame coin and land was won and lost.
Well maybe not in reality, but it makes more sense than the measly sum you could bet and win.

What you got to do is open the item_kinds1.txt of the module you play.

Find the lines of the Practice weapons. Copy ALL info from for example Practice Sword EXCEPT for the first part, which is the item ID, then past this over all info of the Ranged Weapon of your choice EXCEPT for the ID. Do this for every ranged weapon you want to replace with a normal weapon.

So the ID of the ranged weapons should stay the same, they just get all the stats/model of a melee weapon.

Note that this replaces all ranged practice weapons... So if you go the Training Field and want to do Archery there, you will get a sword. :p But who uses the Training Field anyway?

this always bugged me too, if you use a bow on your character you can do fine, even if you get a sword & shield, hell even with a 2h. It dosn't work the other way around. Now i can win if it's a 1 on 1 and i get a bow & a horse, because you can outrun your opponent & pepper his shield until it breaks while standing still.

I've found that the Swadian cities won't give you a bow, neither will the nords, vaegirs is also an option, although you can get unlucky.
Rhodoks tends to give you a crossbow & a 1 handed sword, which i've found to be much more acceptable.

A_Dane said:
this always bugged me too, if you use a bow on your character you can do fine, even if you get a sword & shield, hell even with a 2h. It dosn't work the other way around. Now i can win if it's a 1 on 1 and i get a bow & a horse, because you can outrun your opponent & pepper his shield until it breaks while standing still.

I've found that the Swadian cities won't give you a bow, neither will the nords, vaegirs is also an option, although you can get unlucky.
Rhodoks tends to give you a crossbow & a 1 handed sword, which i've found to be much more acceptable.

It was in a Nordic tournament that this happened! Every round I had either 1h hatchet and shield, or 2h practise sword. I never thought the Nordy tournament would give me a damn bow. I don't mind getting a crossbow AT ALL. At least you get a 1h sword as backup, which can be used to block, and the crossbows are much more accurate, and do more damage.

Titan357 said:
Last round 1 on 1, I start with a bow and the other guy has a shield
OR
I have a bow and he has a horse and lance
and so on.

Bow >>> lance for me.

I just switch to dagger and follow him until he rams into the wall.  Then I let loose on him.  It's not even a challenge!

Dayve said:
A_Dane said:

It was in a Nordic tournament that this happened! Every round I had either 1h hatchet and shield, or 2h practise sword. I never thought the Nordy tournament would give me a damn bow. I don't mind getting a crossbow AT ALL. At least you get a 1h sword as backup, which can be used to block, and the crossbows are much more accurate, and do more damage.

I've never gotten a bow in a nord tournament before, always got either: 2h sword or a 1h sword/axe and a shield.
but yeah it's a pain.

@iffy: that works very poorly in a 1 v 1, usually they'll towards you, and most likely hit & knock you unconsious the first time.

(atleast, whenever i've been in that situation, they always manage to hit me & since i play with full dmg they normally need only that one hit.)

Yeah, I always get my rear handed to me. every time that happens. Maybe I just suck at avoiding lances to the face.

I remember one time (while we're ont he lance-to-the-face topic) in a tournament, last round, some guy with a lance on a horse, versus me with a 2H sword on foot. he couched his lance, aimed, and I thought "oh i'm ****ed", and, closing one eye in fear, watched the guy slow down, put his lance back into a non-couched position, get his horse killed, and then get a 2-hander in the face.

best. tournament. ever.

:razz:

On a side note, in defense of realistic style. If you just exit the game by closing it as opposed to leaving throughthe menu realistic mode is possible the safest mode as it saves right before you do anything.

At least you can still block effectively, even if your hits will be weaker than a proper melee character. The only time I seem to get pissed is Bow V Shield/Sword and Javelin + Horse vs Archer + Horse. I hate throwing weapons, they fail at hitting things and are a pain. This combined with the fact that the AI can get a nice combo of shots going (usually hitting you at intervals meaning you can't fire back) if you miss a few shots, will usually end in heart ache for me.

Bow Vs Shield/Sword is still the worst though. There's no way you can snap off enough shots to break his shield, and when he gets into melee range your only chance is to hope for a lucky knife chain.

As to the mounted lance vs anything on foot, have you guys tried chamber blocking it? I dunno how effectively it'd work (particularly with the dagger) but I've seen the AI do it an odd few times. After the first two charges they are reasonably likely to crash into a wall.

Malik Faris said:
this is true in all situations....

except when your an archer character, then you get f-ed because you get a two-handed weapon and only have 47 in two-handed and 0 powerstrike.

it's still easier being an archer character getting meele weapons than being a meele character getting archery weapons.

I just had a Vagir tournament where in each of the last four rounds I was given a bow vs one or more sword and shielders. And of course, if its you vs two other teams, they both immediately turn and charge you...

Luckily my hero has decently high everything but throwing, and I was able to one shot them as soon as they got ready to swing. I would have been raging otherwise.

Shoot the legs of shield users. About 4 or 5 hits should bring anyone down. I've never lost a 1v1  bow vs shield by doing this.

you're a better shot than me, i'd not be able to get 4-5 shots at his feet before he'd reach me. Besides 4-5 is a little low if you've never used a bow in your campaign, you won't be dealing alot of dmg.

Back
Top Bottom