Any medieval cavalry carry their polearm on back like this pic?

Users who are viewing this thread

46205722c969367852b3e15cb6f062e4.jpg

Did they use leather strap or something to carry their polearm on back?

If I'd have to make a guess, I'd say it's held by some holder thingy on the saddle. My second guess would be that the artist didn't really know how to put it in the image to show that they had spears too.

I did a searching and found one related post on this 4rum. Qing horse archer really has this technique to carry a lance on back while riding.

attaching shouder straps on lances so that the lance could be carried by like a rifle over the horseman's shoulder. Usually these lances also have a second smaller loop of rope close to the tail end for the horseman to put his leg through. This is to prevent the lance from dangling around on one's back by adding a second point of restraint. It should be noted this method probably doesn't work well for infantry since the tail end of the lance would be dragging on the ground behind the carrier's feet no matter how one adjusts the strapping arrangement.

500px-Langshiming_mao.JPG

Could be the same technique for both pics? maybe...

XDXevmi-TEA46SID17CoJolHBTvE85BnLbGFDRdTG1XGWW56ItoCAcYGuEY2gz2dEO2iyeoMqjgifgisG1Tx1wcjMtU_mwI

On the back it is quite uncomfortable and impractical. A strap as a loop through which to introduce an arm, one that you can introduce your foot with the stirrup or a combination of these two together.

46205722c969367852b3e15cb6f062e4.jpg

Did they use leather strap or something to carry their polearm on back?
That's an illustration by Igor Dzis, Golden Horde cavalryman. Here is another
one from an older publication he worked for, showing how the lance is held from the other side...

MqKqS79.jpg

Here's another method of holding the lance, during mounted archery

Ixeh1h2.jpg

AsChntf.jpg

For all of you interested in historical arms, I'd reccommend looking for answers on My Armoury

IE: http://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.34789.html

In general, Khuzaits and to extent maybe Empire could be shown carrying them like that - but more convenient way is how Terco has shown - it can work like a rifle brace, it's an absolute game changer for thrusting.
There's also a thing about Normans, but there the very word interpreted for spear could mean a different weapon. But some form of wearing a weapon that could be is either a sword a spear of mix of the two was worn on the back according to some sagas.

The kinds of soldiers Vlandians are similar to, would have spears carried in carts following the army. but the game rather explicitly shows a logistical model of a bastard child of Roman Legions and Genghis Khan, so Calradians probably see the forests of spears moving about like in manuscripts and Shakespear.

And since we get a LOT of toys straight out of Maciejowski Bible(ie http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4673/8016/), I presume you can imagine the soldiers a bit like there, with a strap even closer to the end than shown by Terco, so much that they braced butts of the spears on their thighs (it's a consistent detail across many foliae, but as anything from manuscripts has to be taken with a grain of salt):
But the concept is the same - long thingie on horseback. Balance just changes the longer it is.

PS.: when I look at the drawing you've linked - isn't there a smaller white loop over the right shourder? The other end could go into stirrup or similar attachment. The wide brown line would be for the shield: http://manuscriptminiatures.com/3946/9386/ Those straps are amazing - they're not just for carrying, they also brace the shield. So instead of holding your arm in position to intercept, you push (popular for many shields across ages and cultures).

Last edited:
Matt Easton's recent take on the topic...
I think it would be interesting to mod this somehow, dropping and carrying automatically
on the go, without having to look around and manually pick up some of the bigger weapons

Last edited:
I think it would be interesting to mod this somehow, dropping and carrying automatically
on the go, without having to look around and manually pick up some of the bigger weapons

Notwithstanding:

large_DI_2014_3263.jpg
Of course, Matt is speaking of infantry with weapons on their backs. For cavalry it would have been a lot more practical. And I must say, the Bannerlord image at the 0:49 mark in that video... The weapon on the back is not nearly as bad as that axe slung from the belt, head down.

Love this so much :grin:

Dropping polearms can also facilitate a lot of situations that will be fun, and player-input and context dependant.

Real life example: King Władysław Jagiełło was attacked by a lone knight under Grunwald/Tannenberg. Using a dropped lance, his secretary killed the attacker. Although a noble, he wasn't a knight yet, and the killing was ruled a murder. This was overturned by pope only a decade later (definitely on purpose as this was a Piast noble, member the family who in eyes of the church founded Poland by adopting christianity), though by that time he already was all-in on administrative path being a royal secretary.
Too late to start a military career by the time Martin V gave him clemency, he became a bishop and a cardinal.

Because a guy dropped a lance.

NPCs from Family Feud picking up dropped 2 handers might not be as convoluted, but players would still swoom over it.

Back
Top Bottom