Any else feel they have to cheat excessively to have a good gameplay experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

This was just something I was thinking about last night. There are so many things missing out of the game and so many things that seem should be completely in my control that are actually completely out of my control that I feel I have to constantly "cheat" or take short cuts to have a good gameplay experience.

For example, the constant wars without reason or cause, especially those declared by my factions. Instead of actually using the diplomacy screen, I end up teleporting around and bartering for peace to keep my faction focused on fighting the factions I want them to fight. I mean it makes no sense to be fighting Vlandia when we have zero neighboring territories, but I am perfectly fine with my Faction fighting the Western Empire. I also use console commands to "override" support for war. I mean I am the king and if I say we need to go to war with Sturgia because I feel they are ripe for conquest, by god my faction needs to mobilize for war.

Also fiefs. I decided I wanted a city in another part of the map to use as a base of operations for myself so I gather and army, capture the city and fully intend to give the city to myself. However the vote comes up and I am not listed as an option so I had to use a console command to give it to myself after the fact. Again I am the King so if I want to claim territory we conquered in war, I should have that right.

There are other things I do as well mostly because I am so frustrated that I have zero control or effect on things that I should be able to easily control or at least be able to identify how to fix what is going wrong.

Anyone else feel this way?

Totally agree. Way too many "there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to do this" or "I need to correct the tedious AI behaviour" moments that take you out of the game.
There are mods which mitigate some of it, like being able to send messengers rather than teleporting - the sort of thing they don't seem to want to add to the base game.

yeah. it's missing many things so it's ok to use console commands to alleviate the situation. not that cheating in a SP game is wrong in the first place.

telepathy mod can save you the teleporting. (works on 1.5.8 )
and keep own fief mod can save you from the vote (works on 1.5.6)

bannerlord needs many mods to be ok to play but they're not being kept up to date. rightfully so.

imo, bannerlord isn't worth playing unless heavily modded. and you can't find updated mods for recent versions

The post-mercenary gameplay experience needs a lot of work
the early game buildup and mercenary clan gameplay is great

I don't start new characters anymore. I use a mod when I start a campaign to import my last character.

That's pretty much it. Levelling in this game sucks donkey balls.

yeah. it's missing many things so it's ok to use console commands to alleviate the situation. not that cheating in a SP game is wrong in the first place.

telepathy mod can save you the teleporting. (works on 1.5.8 )
and keep own fief mod can save you from the vote (works on 1.5.6)

bannerlord needs many mods to be ok to play but they're not being kept up to date. rightfully so.

imo, bannerlord isn't worth playing unless heavily modded. and you can't find updated mods for recent versions
I totally agree with everything you said here, at the end of the day, you can't cheat in a single player game because you only have to answer to yourself as to what actions you take to ensure your having a good experience with the game. However, I find the situation being not that I want to use a cheat but rather I have to use a cheat to compensate for this, that or the other things.

Prime example, I joined one of my factions armies to help them siege a city. It should have been an easy siege as the city only had 500 defenders. Suddenly out of the blue it broke the siege and matched half way across the map only to start a siege on another city with like 700 defenders. Why? So I dropped out of that army, went to campaign options, dropped the damage setting down to only taking 1/3 normal damage and proceeded to take the original city that was ripe for plundering with far fewer troops than it should have taken to take the city. Dropping the damage down isn't technically a cheat but it kind of is at the same time. All this could have been resolved if I could have just ordered the army back to the original city or hell, the AI was actually smart enough to not break a siege against a weaker city to go attack a stronger one.

I also have zero desire to play Native Bannerlord and fully believe the strength of this game lies in modding. That being said your also right on about how the mods necessary to have a fun and complete gameplay experience are not being kept up to date and as you say, rightly so. I mean what modder wants to waste his time having to update and fix his mod every 3-4 weeks or worse find out all the work they did on a mod is wasted because the underlying system the mod was based on changed completely or was added as a feature to the game.

Anyway, as I said, the feeling that I "Have" to cheat really breaks the immersion of the game.

You're 100% right

I don't understand how a diplomacy screen or more detailed kingdom management is so difficult to implement

I don't cheat but I did enjoy using the leveling rebalance mod in one game, however I think it's a little bit to generous and easy to raise most skill with it. I also like to keep the game native for bug reporting and feedback.

I make liberal use of re-loads and retreats to make up for the lack of 'competent and consistent' function of units in battle. It very frustrating still to have only about a 50% chance of units actually doing what I expect them too. They don't go where I say and do what I said, retreat or re-load and try again, can do it all day if we have to, it sucks, but I want my orders to be obeyed. I hope they really enhance and iron out this stuff before they try to introduce their iron man mode.

I don't do smithing because it's boring and wastes campaign time , but many other simple tricks are fine for me. That's part of a game IMO, to find and use tricks to gain an advantage. I mean unless it's boring.

I like to retreat my party in a siege and kill most or all of the defenders solo and it's not even cheasy because it's a lot of work. I'm pretty butt hurt tbh about the performance of units in a siege and the difficulty in getting them to JUST OBEY! If I can't be in 100% control I'd rather ditch them and do it all myself.

I don't cheat because the most fun for me comes out of challenges... even if the game is unbalanced and the leveling is broken... I'd rather not play and wait for it to improve than cheat or use mods because it makes things too easy. I will admit, I tried a mod to give more attribute points and it felt not right to me, so I stopped playing instead. I usually play Ironman mode in games, so if I get captured I might just consider my character dead and move on.

That's why a good character progression system would make me happy, because I'd just feel I achieved a lot with this playstyle, since I make things way harder than they should be on myself and have a lot of enjoyment out of it for some reason :unsure: If they also gave us an option similar to the "Retire from adventuring" but instead "Your character dies" - for roleplay purposes (get captured and you decide your character died and then move on to the next successor) that would also be to my fancy, but I'd be happy with at least a chance for my character to die in battle (hopefully not just 2%... maybe make that 10% or a configurable amount).

I don't do smithing because it's boring and wastes campaign time
I feel like smithing is super important to have enough money to convince lords to join your army.
Economy is broken and for whatever stupid reason it is not possible to offer lords/ladies a fief in order for them to join my kingdom.

Smithing is basically the cheat you need to throw money at issues that shouldn't be issues in the first place-

Back
Top Bottom