Any chance for bigger villages/cities in Warband ?

Users who are viewing this thread

unity100

Veteran
i definitely understand that the cities/villages, all the building concepts in M&B are 'representative', due to technical constraints in regard to player computer performance. ie, they are practically small. 4 buildings represent a 'village', and something which could be only a minor lord's castle passes for castle town.

this rather somewhat kills the atmosphere a bit. you know, you enter the very kingdom of a capital, and all you find is a small lord castle. alright, i know, performance constraints.

but i have been thinking, despite i am using various graphical enhancement mods (ge2.5, also used polished landscapes beta) and running in 1920x1200 res with a (now outdated) radeon 3870 on a 3.5 year old amd athlon, i still cope up with 300 crowded battles, and villages/towns are totally no problem.

this made me think, maybe towns/villages in warband can get a boost in terms of size to boost the atmosphere, and also open up possibilities for more Rpg like quests (ie, stuff happening in city, which may even lead to Thief style  adventure gameplay). this could open up more gameplay possibilities too, if someone takes to mod it. (there are already adventure mods).

Im not asking taleworlds to design bigger villages, castles, towns or anything - all i wonder is whether the town outdoor scenery can be enlarged  - you know, the place that holds the town when you ride into it.

if it was made bigger compared to this, modders would have the possibility to even create life size replicas of some medieval towns (they were much larger than this, but they were definitely not gigantic). like the quality and numerous settlements with scenes created in custom settlements mod.

what do you think ?

The only technical restraint is the maximum size of the maps.  The limit could be increased so we could get bigger scenes, or just increase ones that aren't at the limit yet.  It would take a lot of work to update all the existing ones, though.

CtrlAltDe1337 said:
The only technical restraint is the maximum size of the maps.  The limit could be increased so we could get bigger scenes, or just increase ones that aren't at the limit yet.  It would take a lot of work to update all the existing ones, though.

cant maximum size of the maps be increased for even bigger scenes ? (without changing any of the scenery at all - ie, just the size of the scene is going to increase)

Plazek said:
Have you ever seen a map for the custom settlemnts mod?

It is called Squareoddin, it was massive!

im playing custom settlements atm but i didnt see squareoddin. but, i dont think its going to be bigger than any allotted scene size. ie, when i enter any scene and patrol around (to lower corruption) the boundaries i see basically defines the size of the scenery, right ?

CtrlAltDe1337 said:
Large random maps are HUGE, so I guess it's not a problem.

Sir Pwn-A-Lot said:
CtrlAltDe1337 said:

what are these large random maps ?

unity100 said:
Sir Pwn-A-Lot said:
CtrlAltDe1337 said:

what are these large random maps ?

In multiplayer one of the map options is random plains (medium/large).

And yes, they are gigantic.

Theoretically if you wanted a really huge town, you could join up several maps together - it'd take a helluva lot of work to make all the borders look correct though.

HTAPAWASO said:
In multiplayer one of the map options is random plains (medium/large).

And yes, they are gigantic.

Theoretically if you wanted a really huge town, you could join up several maps together - it'd take a helluva lot of work to make all the borders look correct though.

that would do i think. considering how oblivion passes village size places as 'towns' and manages to squeeze numerous quests in there.

i think the possibilities are endless here. if such huge towns are allowed in some way, im sure modders will find a way to implement even more groundbreaking concepts. i remember that despite oblivion didnt have any amenity initially, a mod named 'thieves tools' had brought the assassin's creed gameplay into oblivion. you could use roped arrows, ropes, this that to go about climbing and jumping around to accomplish missions. assassin's creed like gameplay may be a bit far fetched for m&b at this point with all its high paced jumping and running atop the rooftops, but i think anything else (ie oblivion level quests, even running shops in a city as an individual etc) seem to be possible with what the game provides and warband will bring more on top of this.

Back
Top Bottom