Anti-Khuzait strategies

Users who are viewing this thread

So I've been playing my early game on a newish character as a mercenary for Southern Empire, they gave me like a 270 denar merc contract while at war with Khuzait and Aserai. Bonus is that fighting tons of Aserai and Khuzait is giving me many, many horses.

It's been a learning experience fighting Khuzait more frequently and early on in the game. I used to just camp in the left corner with fians. This game I'm trying to be more legit strategery. The new situation with more appropriate world : battle map connection actually changes some things and is pretty helpful for luring or chasing parties into better terrain for you, which makes it less painful not just cheesing them.

The biggest nuisance with Khuzait is you almost always lose some elite cavalry chasing down like 5 Khan's Guards that will almost never route after you've already won the engagement effectively.

The second biggest nuisance is that you can't expect friendly allies to be any help at all against horse archers. Easy way to take tons of losses or even lose a battle - made this mistake a few times in previous games. Horse archers are like psychological warfare against other AI. Don't join them unless the odds are overwhelming in your favor, and even then often it's best you use autoresolve.

One strategy that's been effective for me at taking fewer losses and smashing more horse archers is to send cav after horse archers while they're firing on shield infantry. Horse archer AI is overpowered(relative to other AI) but at least it's still predictable.

Basically you want infantry as bait(their main role in field battles in Bannerlord) and in a front left position, archers ready to fire back right, and cav on the far left behind both and spread out. Depending on elevation, you can have archers behind infantry.

Horse archers charge, targeting shield infantry who will absorb the worst of it. While they charge, your archers get increased damage on them from their momentum, and will land more hits prior to their strafing nonsense. Longer range archers/crossbows are superior for this reason - they can hit horse archers more while they're charging in a group. I'm using Imperial Crossbowmen, not ideal but they get the job done and they're sturdy. While horse archers charge, your cavalry should charge them - getting the timing right for full momentum cav charging into full momentum horse archers can result in lots of damage but you have to get a feel for it. They will have their bows out, your cav will have melee vs. bow during initial contact, and get bonus damage from momentum as well. This is also stops most of them from strafing.

Horse archers will typically retreat, and you want your cav not to chase them too far. If they're out of range of your archer's firing range, pull them back. Depending on how long you think the battle will be, sometimes it's also good to hold fire with archers while the retreating horse archers are at too long range to bother.

Rinse repeat. Terrain that helps: Villages, mountainous terrain, heavy forest... basically anything that slows down or funnels horse archers so that foot archers can deal more damage to them and they can't escape cav as quickly. If you see Khuzait raiding villages this is often easy targets.

Not sure if this is IDEAL, but I've managed to use only empire troops to defeat Khuzaits with relatively few losses this way. Almost all my losses are Cav but you get plenty of horses as loot to get more of them and often you can find parties with prisoners to replenish. The Khuzait AI typically sends horse archers ahead of their inf/archers/cav, so you have a fair number of short engagements to whittle their horse archers down prior to infantry/archer/cav being involved at all. Their infantry and archers are typically never an issue since they field so many cav and horse archers. They would probably be better off with almost all cav and horse archers since they end up splitting their troops up so much, so even when they outnumber you often it's like you outnumber them because you killed a bunch of their horse archers and cav before they were a factor at all.

I am playing Battania with Nomadic Traditions, Sweeping Wind, Day Traveler, Pathfinder. So my map speed is pretty good which is important for Khuzait smashing. I'll eventually get Forced March and Tracker too.

Anyway, wondering if anyone else has anti-Khuzait strategies/tips.

Last edited:
Raptorscallion has a good vid on this:

@annodhermit: I think you covered most of the good tactics against them. Good topic.

A key element is the troops. What archers are best? Archers need ammo. Archers will be expending a bunch of shots. They need to keep firing, not only at the HA's but the melee cav, and still have some left for the Khuzait infantry assault. Empire archers simply don't do. They only have one stack of arrows. So Sturgian, Aserai, Khuzait or, of course, Battanian elites. This and terrain, terrain, terrain. Like you said, keep an anchor off your left flank: bunch of trees, mountain, river. Anything to slow them down on their turn around to circle back. They turn very slow already(as a group), and keeping them in the kill zone of your archers with their backs and right side(non firing side) facing your troops as long as possible will lessen friendly casualties. That is why my theory is that you need to keep an anchor close to your left flank, but not too close. Too close might have them get bunched up against some terrain, unable to complete their cycle. That is not ideal, as they will have their left sides facing your friendly troops, keeping them in their firing zone.

You need to have as much cav as they have cav archers

They push the left side with cav archers 100% of time
You do cavalary follow me, and "herd" them to your infantry when they crash against your Inf/archers you do infantry charge and kill most of the cav archers before the "proper" battle begins.

Sometimes you can "herd" them to the wall map and have a huge melee vs them on the corners. (kinda of cheesy) i prefer the other strat

Last edited:
If there's more then say 10 enemy HA, EVERYONE TO THE BACK LEFT, face direction diagonally, make the second row if enough troops, put Cav or inf (or bad archers) out in front to hopefully make the enemy circle aiming at them, hope they kill most of them, move groups to try to block them in if they get past, put on face enemy, move formations onto of them, hope they all die before the main enemy gets close, if not retreat and repeat until they're all dead because troops AI just doesn't work well with circling enemies around them. They have to die.

The alternative if you have many heavy HA is to put them on fallow me and coast into the enemy HA approach, slowly so they actually fire from a wide formation and then chase the HA as they retreat, sometimes they **** up and just kinda stop and let you kill them all.

Back
Top Bottom