Animations

Users who are viewing this thread

KACollver said:
I dont get you guys and saying the bots can't melee, Im just using the animations from doc's official patch and bots use it fine, so did they when i used this

I'm sure it can use a wee bit of tweaking though, heh. I just got a drubbing at the hand of some bandits, had 60 British fusiliers, they had 30 bandits, they took 20 fusiliers with them to the grave somehow (probably me being bad at commanding)

Gewehr98 said:
KACollver said:
I dont get you guys and saying the bots can't melee, Im just using the animations from doc's official patch and bots use it fine, so did they when i used this

I'm sure it can use a wee bit of tweaking though, heh. I just got a drubbing at the hand of some bandits, had 60 British fusiliers, they had 30 bandits, they took 20 fusiliers with them to the grave somehow (probably me being bad at commanding)
Maybe it's just me I play on easy instead of 100% dmg xD And yes I do agree the side attacks could use a bit more length and perhaps be slower while the jab should be like a little bit farther from the body

KACollver said:
Gewehr98 said:
KACollver said:

Maybe it's just me I play on easy instead of 100% dmg xD And yes I do agree the side attacks could use a bit more length and perhaps be slower while the jab should be like a little bit farther from the body
I play on easy too haha

Am I the only person who thinks the Mount&Musket running animations should be used. My men shall hold their muskets sky high.

I love the melee animations, no, I adore them. Hitting some guy right in the face, dressed up in the most nicely made uniform in the history of M&B, while all the chaos going on around me, cavalry charging, infantrymen opening fire, cannonballs exploding, while things like "what am I going to do, with no money, did we lose, what is going on, are we going to be able to stop Austrians" going constantly through my head. Taking a glance at the gentlemen of the cavalry, thinking "hell, wish i had some money to buy a horse!". And those muzzle flashes? Aah, also the musket sounds in the distance. I have to admit, sometimes they give me goosebumps.
Oh yeah. Animations.

Among all these, hitting a guy in the middle of his face with my musket's butt, it gives me a tremendous amount of satisfaction, I would yell in front of the computer if I could.
Hell, you have no idea how much I want to hit that "Dandy" bastard with the butt of my musket.
But there is one thing I noticed, sometimes I am still playing like I am using a polearm from Native. I still use it like i am going to swing that beautiful musket in a huge 360 degrees arc from left or right. Even after I notice I am in a really realistic mod, I spam my attacks because I feel like their reach is so short.

But in a clear mind state, not in the heat of battle, like an attack of a rabble in the streets of Wien, as a poor landwehr I literally turn his face into a state of mashed potato, like in the movie Irreversible. So what I and people need is to practice, and get used to new animations. After you practice a little, everything becomes so smooth just like the entire mod and you really feel in there, I caught myself numerous times, pushing myself to the monitor as I attack somebody.

The main problem is the AI.
AI is still using it like a polearm from Native. I have no idea if there is a chance to edit the AI according to this, but seems like increasing the reach of some animations may be a resolution. Because even though player can get used to new animations, AI can not. As it is... The AI. You know.

Also in the current stage of the thrust animations, cavalry is so overpowered, even my character who has equinophobia ( :razz: ) occasionally wishes to enlist as a horseman. But in his opinion his social stage is not good enough, as everybody looks at him as a peasant, telling him the get out of the way all the time, and that dandy guy? He acts like I am no friend of him just because I am wearing my dirty old landwehr uniform...

Oh, erm, sorry. Ah, the thrust. Normally we should be able to brace our bayonets, but as we can't do it in the current stage (yet?), this could be solved with increasing the reach of thrust, too. Native has no bracing, however polearms have a great reach, so it goes (arguably) well as a compensation.

And, extra! I have some really eye candy, but sounds quite easy (but surely not easy) to do suggestions.
-Variation of animations, like for running with musket animation. I remember someone did it before, but I really can't remember at the moment (sorry!), something like this would be so perfect.
-Cavalry charge animation with swords in the air. Also, I remember this is done too sometime, however as cavalry would do this all the time, it would look a little bit silly, however a great immersion when seen in the right spot. But those rich cavalry guys need no more eye candy... Yeah yeah. Just forget it.

Great job on all the animations, sir! See you all on the battlefields, gentlemen!

Is it just me, or does the reloading animation for the rifled carbine seem just a tad off? Im no musket expert, and  I might just have a faulty imaginary ram rod, but he seems to be holding it in the wrong spot. I have some screenshots, but its 4am and its a pain in the ass to do anything on my pc, so I think im going to post them after I get to sleep.  :razz:

It's because the carbines are shorter than muskets, so it looks like hes doing it very high, but if you had a musket, it would look normal

Antifiriz said:
I love the melee animations, no, I adore them. Hitting some guy right in the face, dressed up in the most nicely made uniform in the history of M&B, while all the chaos going on around me, cavalry charging, infantrymen opening fire, cannonballs exploding, while things like "what am I going to do, with no money, did we lose, what is going on, are we going to be able to stop Austrians" going constantly through my head. Taking a glance at the gentlemen of the cavalry, thinking "hell, wish i had some money to buy a horse!". And those muzzle flashes? Aah, also the musket sounds in the distance. I have to admit, sometimes they give me goosebumps.
Oh yeah. Animations.

Among all these, hitting a guy in the middle of his face with my musket's butt, it gives me a tremendous amount of satisfaction, I would yell in front of the computer if I could.
Hell, you have no idea how much I want to hit that "Dandy" bastard with the butt of my musket.
But there is one thing I noticed, sometimes I am still playing like I am using a polearm from Native. I still use it like i am going to swing that beautiful musket in a huge 360 degrees arc from left or right. Even after I notice I am in a really realistic mod, I spam my attacks because I feel like their reach is so short.

But in a clear mind state, not in the heat of battle, like an attack of a rabble in the streets of Wien, as a poor landwehr I literally turn his face into a state of mashed potato, like in the movie Irreversible. So what I and people need is to practice, and get used to new animations. After you practice a little, everything becomes so smooth just like the entire mod and you really feel in there, I caught myself numerous times, pushing myself to the monitor as I attack somebody.

The main problem is the AI.
AI is still using it like a polearm from Native. I have no idea if there is a chance to edit the AI according to this, but seems like increasing the reach of some animations may be a resolution. Because even though player can get used to new animations, AI can not. As it is... The AI. You know.

Also in the current stage of the thrust animations, cavalry is so overpowered, even my character who has equinophobia ( :razz: ) occasionally wishes to enlist as a horseman. But in his opinion his social stage is not good enough, as everybody looks at him as a peasant, telling him the get out of the way all the time, and that dandy guy? He acts like I am no friend of him just because I am wearing my dirty old landwehr uniform...

Oh, erm, sorry. Ah, the thrust. Normally we should be able to brace our bayonets, but as we can't do it in the current stage (yet?), this could be solved with increasing the reach of thrust, too. Native has no bracing, however polearms have a great reach, so it goes (arguably) well as a compensation.

And, extra! I have some really eye candy, but sounds quite easy (but surely not easy) to do suggestions.
-Variation of animations, like for running with musket animation. I remember someone did it before, but I really can't remember at the moment (sorry!), something like this would be so perfect.
-Cavalry charge animation with swords in the air. Also, I remember this is done too sometime, however as cavalry would do this all the time, it would look a little bit silly, however a great immersion when seen in the right spot. But those rich cavalry guys need no more eye candy... Yeah yeah. Just forget it.

Great job on all the animations, sir! See you all on the battlefields, gentlemen!

Long, post, heh. Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I think I've extended the thrust reach as far as I could with the latest animation update. Problem is horses have too much HP and bayonets don't do enough damage to kill them. Dropping down horse HP to 40 really makes a difference. You can kill a horse with 1 hit. Hopefully Docm will change that in a later update.
Also, an up stab could also be made for the muskets, so that AI would be twice as likely to use the stab attack. I'll have to test this though.

As for variation, yeah, that's the plan. How would you like the running animation variations to look like? Post some pictures or videos for reference.

BushDweller said:
It's because the carbines are shorter than muskets, so it looks like hes doing it very high, but if you had a musket, it would look normal

Indeed, due to the limitations of the Warband engine, all weapons in the same weapon group (in this case, all muskets are in the crossbow weapon group) share the same animations.

Takeda Shingen said:
RanGer_SLO don't screw up like Viking Conquest did. Too much historical accuracy can screw up the game badly.

In my honest opinion, the current animations for bayonets are horrible, i'm not saying i can do better, i'm simply saying they are horrible. Rifle butt attack hits you before the animation ends, it doesn't even touch me, left and right attacks are silly, but most importantly AI can't use it at all. Many times few dismounted hussars went inside my line, and it takes 50 guys to melee down 3-4 dismounted hussars, it's that bad. I don't understand why wouldn't you use NW animations. They may not be historically accurate but they look damn good, and more importantly they bloody work, no fancy butt hit and other stuff...

While they may have issues with the AI in certain areas. It is a work in progress. And I love them, the thrust animation along with the others are very well done, just issues with connecting sometimes but ranger and docm do their best. Tbh I hate NW animations in comparison to this and historical accuracy I like, where practical. And it works.

I would also recommend for all those playing easy.....turn the A.I difficulty to highest setting and damage taken to full to get the best out of the standard warband on top of L'Aigle.

Ok, fixed the blocking error. It was a simple mistake of mistyping "musket" in the code.  :???:

Also, noticed I have to re-make the stagger animations after the opponent parries your attack. I'll probably do that tomorrow.

And a thought that just hit me, to anyone who still finds the stab too short, have you tried increasing the range value of the melee muskets? This might be the main factor in all this. I can't test this right now so if anyone has the time and will to do it I'd be most grateful.

Anyway, download the fixed animations here.

Boy, I really need to make a dropbox account or something.

RanGer_SLO said:
Ok, fixed the blocking error. It was a simple mistake of mistyping "musket" in the code.  :???:

Also, noticed I have to re-make the stagger animations after the opponent parries your attack. I'll probably do that tomorrow.

And a thought that just hit me, to anyone who still finds the stab too short, have you tried increasing the range of the melee muskets? This might be the main factor in all this. I can't test this right now so if anyone has the time and will to do it I'd be most grateful.

Anyway, download the fixed animations here.

Boy, I really need to make a dropbox account or something.

Thanks for the fix, now I'll just include this in my fixes haha and re upload and give this a whirl. Could try the weapon lengths. Might give that a go too.

Edit: Fixed - Both with Ranger fixes +( Spontoon + no usable on Horse): Choose one below.
Alternative (Not showing on Back) Standard (Showing on Back)

Thank you that fixed the T-shaped animation when player or AI block down correctly. I am getting used to the range of the left and right musket attacks. It's unique atleast the musket melee has three attack directions.

General K said:
Takeda Shingen said:
RanGer_SLO don't screw up like Viking Conquest did. Too much historical accuracy can screw up the game badly.

In my honest opinion, the current animations for bayonets are horrible, i'm not saying i can do better, i'm simply saying they are horrible. Rifle butt attack hits you before the animation ends, it doesn't even touch me, left and right attacks are silly, but most importantly AI can't use it at all. Many times few dismounted hussars went inside my line, and it takes 50 guys to melee down 3-4 dismounted hussars, it's that bad. I don't understand why wouldn't you use NW animations. They may not be historically accurate but they look damn good, and more importantly they bloody work, no fancy butt hit and other stuff...

While they may have issues with the AI in certain areas. It is a work in progress. And I love them, the thrust animation along with the others are very well done, just issues with connecting sometimes but ranger and docm do their best. Tbh I hate NW animations in comparison to this and historical accuracy I like, where practical. And it works.

I would also recommend for all those playing easy.....turn the A.I difficulty to highest setting and damage taken to full to get the best out of the standard warband on top of L'Aigle.

I AM playing on AI good, damage Normal, basically everything is set to the highest possible difficulty. Fusiliers, Grenadiers and Light Units get absolutely owned by a couple of dismounted hussars, even more so by a couple of dismounted Cuirassiers. It's not the reach or speed, it's the animation, and it's the bouncing of attacks like the enemy is wearing full plate armor and my guys use 5 meters long pikes, that's what i talking about. Takes 20 guys to down one of theirs.

Player usability, sure no problem, we get used to it. AI usability, none.

Takeda Shingen said:
General K said:
Takeda Shingen said:

I AM playing on AI good, damage Normal, basically everything is set to the highest possible difficulty. Fusiliers, Grenadiers and Light Units get absolutely owned by a couple of dismounted hussars, even more so by a couple of dismounted Cuirassiers. It's not the reach or speed, it's the animation, and it's the bouncing of attacks like the enemy is wearing full plate armor and my guys use 5 meters long pikes, that's what i talking about. Takes 20 guys to down one of theirs.

Player usability, sure no problem, we get used to it. AI usability, none.

I suppose we have to make do with what we have. The A.I has never and will never be able to use polearms or long ranged melee weapons as they should be used in warband. It is a base game issue. The animations could go end up like NW. But even then they still wouldn't be used properly.

As for the cav, that has always been the case in warband, any troop with a one handed weapon will dominate due to the fact the long range weapons are used poorly by the A.I and some of L'aigle cav, especially heavy cav, use a cuirass and I have seen both swords and bayonets alike bounce off.

As Docm did say at one point, the animations are a work in progress and balancing and item stats etc still have some work to be done.

Edit: @Ranger, been playing with new the changes and the A.I in my opinion seem to be much more effective with the melee attacks now. The connecting Is happening much more now.

General K said:
Takeda Shingen said:

Where would be the fun in getting wrecked every single battle? As if it isn't hard enough already on easy, as cav still wreck my men

I have noticed with the animation fixes characters go to the T shape when they run backwards and strafe sideways.

General K said:
Gewehr98 said:
I have noticed with the animation fixes characters go to the T shape when they run backwards and strafe sideways.

Is this when using a musket, unarmed?

I've seen it with a musket, a spontoon, a ramrod, and with whatever weapons pirates use.

Gewehr98 said:
General K said:
Gewehr98 said:

I've seen it with a musket, a spontoon, a ramrod, and with whatever weapons pirates use.

*facepalm* I didn't include the crucial animations within my files. If u were using them then that would explain it. Should be all fixed again now. :S

General K said:
Gewehr98 said:
General K said:
Gewehr98 said:

*facepalm* I didn't include the crucial animations within my files. If u were using them then that would explain it. Should be all fixed again now. :S

It happens, at least it's an easy fix :grin:

Back
Top Bottom