Animations

Users who are viewing this thread

Ok, so some of the musket animations were a little messed up. I overestimated Warbands hit detection a bit and the animations weren't connecting. The code was messed up as well. I now understand why all M&B attack animations are so exaggerated.

Anyway, I think I've fixed most of the problems. I've redone the forward running animation with musket in hands, I've modified all 3 musket attack animations, re-made the musket present (aim) animation and slightly modified the reload animation (the last part, cocking the hammer now looks more realistic, also corrected a weird bug where in 1 frame the thorax bone would spazz out).

You can download it here:
No need. Already in the new patch.

Just unzip and drop it in your L'Aigle mod folder. When asked if you want to overwrite hit "yes".

If you notice any abnormalities with other animations please post in this thread.
Explain what you don't like about the animation and why. Saying "down stab sux" does not help me one bit. Explain why it "sux".

I'll also be re-doing some other animations. Right now I'm trying to re-do the native fist fighting animations.

I'm also planning on making animation variations. Warband supports multiple animations for a single action, which it chooses randomly. So for example you can have 2 animations for firing the musket, 1 where the soldier looks forward, and one where he's blinded by the flash and turns away (this is actually already included in the mod).

If you have any suggestions on what kind of variations I can make, post them here.

By chance, literally just bought a sergeant spontoon since I was promoted.

But when running with it it sort of bounces all over the place. Animation is kind of messed up In that regard. !ost likely to do with whatever itis set up as, ie 2 handed weapon animation link or not asigned one properly. The standing one looks as good as ever just seems to be when u move with it :S Not sure if u had anything to do with animation in this regard. The swinging is also sort of causing a blurring motion with the weapon too.

Any chance this could be fixed or looked at?

BTW been using your animation hotfix from earlier. So much smoother now.

General K said:

But when running with it it sort of bounces all over the place. Animation is kind of messed up I would presume. Not sure if u had anything to do with animation in this regard.

The spontoon is either bound to the wrong hand or improperly rotated.

To fix it you either have to edit the items_kind1 file or rotate the model correctly.

EDIT: Looking at some of the standards, it seems some of them have force_attach_none as an attribute. This is probably the cause of the bug. Should be force_attach_left_hand.

RanGer_SLO said:
General K said:

But when running with it it sort of bounces all over the place. Animation is kind of messed up I would presume. Not sure if u had anything to do with animation in this regard.

The spontoon is either bound to the wrong hand or improperly rotated.

To fix it you either have to edit the items_kind1 file or rotate the model correctly.

That would make sense actually. I'll give it a bash in a few :grin: Cheers

Edit : To poster below, it takes practice, but it is actually do-able. The animations fit but many people seem to struggle to get used to them. I have found it alright, managed to get used to it, the ai will never be able to use bayonets in warband accordingly due to the fact any long range polearm or melee weapon is always used in the wrong way by the base game. Cannot be helped unfortunately. Remember this is not Napoleonic wars so I'll take time to get accustomed to :smile:

Hey,

I've tried it, it is now better, my companions are still noob though, they are getting raped by 4-5 cavalry person, but it is still not the best, I mean to stab it is really hard, or maybe I am just doing something wrong, its a lot easier in napoleonic wars, the butt attack is pretty cool idea, and would be realistic as well just somehow I dont know it is very hard.

So here we go again.

The LEFT attack -
It doesn't move very far from the agent giving the attack. In other words, the movements are very conservative, and it needs to be more exaggerated. This might not be a problem for players because they'll get used to it, but bots are very different. They will stand at near maximum range wildly swinging their left and right attacks way out of range to whatever they're trying to hit, only able to actually do damage when they stab. How do I know this? Go into custom battle, set the troops as low as they can, and kill your ally. Then, approach the enemy bot while you down block. Don't attack, just sit at range. I sat there for ~3 minutes barring when he moved away and tried to reload, before I gave up and killed him.

Also, in some instances it looks as though the attack happens before the butt of the musket actually reaches whatever the attack is.

The RIGHT attack -
Same as the left. Doesn't move very far, needs more exaggeration, like moving farther away from the agent. Same problem with bots as with the left attack.

The STAB -
Same. Needs to go farther. Actually, one other problem I've noticed is that my character, in third person, entirely obscures how far the bayonet actually goes. While this also happens some times in Native, it happens much more in L'aigle, maybe even constantly. If i'm going to be able to judge how far my attack will go, I need to actually see it travel a distance.

Before I use this, a question. Does this just fix and improve the timing of the animations, or does it actually change like the distance its attacks deal damage? if that makes sense.

Improvement, but like someone else pointed out Melee attacks with muskets are still too quick and inaccurate, especially for the AI.

I can get good hits with them now at least but the AI is just atrocious, even seasoned line infantry lose to brigands/highwaymen in one on one combat when using melee. It's not lack of damage completely but the AI's inability to get within range to land consecutive hits.

Did some more tests. The AI can use them somewhat effectively. Make sure you have the combat AI on the hardest setting.

I'll tweak them some more in the future. I'll try and add some range to the attacks. The stab animation will be redone according to historical manuals.

Also re-did the unarmed attack animations. Looks quite good, and it's easier to do damage at prize fights now. I made it so that all the attacks are aimed at the head.
I'll post a video tomorrow.

jacobhinds said:
KACollver said:
Before I use this, a question. Does this just fix and improve the timing of the animations, or does it actually change like the distance its attacks deal damage? if that makes sense.

It does both. Warband animations dictate what hits what in real time, so if the hit connects on the screen, it registers as damage.
Thanks, that's cool never knew that

New animations definitely working, my men are able to defend properly now, thank you.

They still need a little polishing, maybe making their arms go a little bit further so the melee animation is able to look a little bit more natural and that would be it for melee animations, excellent new running animation, pay close attention to the walking animation with muskets though, they look kinda off, the muskets is not held properly by the character.

Thank you for all your effort.

Ambrush said:
New animations definitely working, my men are able to defend properly now, thank you.

They still need a little polishing, maybe making their arms go a little bit further so the melee animation is able to look a little bit more natural and that would be it for melee animations, excellent new running animation, pay close attention to the walking animation with muskets though, they look kinda off, the muskets is not held properly by the character.

Thank you for all your effort.

Get a broom (or any pole), hold it by your hips and thrust.

The bayonet thrust in l'Aigle is pretty nice if you ask me - works best in First Person - though it still doesn't go far enough for me. Having to get close leads to all too many bump-hits.

EDIT: Woops! I read it as "go a little bit further back" for some reason. 'Twould require it to be more like NWs and, wow, I did not want that. x,)

Jeez, the manual representation looks kind of silly.
image019.jpg

What do you guys think? Got any better manuals?

@Ambrush
Yeah, walking animations need work. Parry animations as well.

Implemented some boxing moves into the game.

Left attack = 1,2 combo. The jab doesn't connect through, so think of it as a feint. The straight is aimed at the head, so you can do some damage if you aim correctly.
Right attack = Standard hook. Mid range attack.
Up attack = Long hook/casting punch.
Down = Standard native uppercut. I didn't change anything here because I think it looks OK.

RanGer_SLO said:
Implemented some boxing moves into the game.

Left attack = 1,2 combo. The jab doesn't connect through, so think of it as a feint. The straight is aimed at the head, so you can do some damage if you aim correctly.
Right attack = Standard hook. Mid range attack.
Up attack = Long hook/casting punch.
Down = Standard native uppercut. I didn't change anything here because I think it looks OK.

Much better than the standard native animations that is for sure. Looks alright.

I just got a chance to try out the new musket animation, and it's much better than it was before.
It still needs work though, mind you. I can't seem to get a good thrust in, it usually whiffs still, though it can actually hit my enemies now.

The side swings are much improved, and while they often don't connect when attacking an opponent directly in front of you, you can compensate for this with footwork and screen placement unlike before.

Aye, I've already improved the attack animations further. I have to re-do the parry and walk animations and then I'll upload everything here for you guys to test it out.

Back
Top Bottom