OSP Animations Animations for the community - Shield bash animation released!

Users who are viewing this thread

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think the bodyweight thing is partly to do with what you consider a shield bash to be. I was going more for a strike than a shove. Maybe sometime I'll animate another one that's more shove-like. That should look more weighty as well, though I'm not sure how much weight I can add without footwork. (Trying to put weight behind it without stepping is what makes the character look off-balance in the current version, I think).

Also, if anyone has particular examples of shield bashing techniques that they'd like to see, please post descriptions or other references for the technique!

Papa Lazarou said:
Also, if anyone has particular examples of shield bashing techniques that they'd like to see, please post descriptions or other references for the technique!

I don't know what reference you have already, but the movie "300" features some pretty decent looking "shield pushing". Nevermind the rest of the movie, that's obviously not historically accurate to any significant degree, but then it isn't meant to be.

Also this, for a shield bash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FedyVShEavM  :???:

:eek:
I'm amazed by the quality of your animations, It really makes M&B better!
Also I have some questions,
Is it possible to make a shield bash anim with the player/npc in movement ( Bashing someone when charging ) ?
Are your new animations compatible with your CAE mod?

Papa Lazarou said:
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think the bodyweight thing is partly to do with what you consider a shield bash to be. I was going more for a strike than a shove. Maybe sometime I'll animate another one that's more shove-like. That should look more weighty as well, though I'm not sure how much weight I can add without footwork. (Trying to put weight behind it without stepping is what makes the character look off-balance in the current version, I think).

You could add animation for footwork and allow the modder to use/not use it. Especially since you can make it so that walking overrides the bottom-half of the animation.

Either way, I'd say go for a little bit more of a punch-like motion.

Mekelan said:
I don't know what reference you have already, but the movie "300" features some pretty decent looking "shield pushing". Nevermind the rest of the movie, that's obviously not historically accurate to any significant degree, but then it isn't meant to be.

Also this, for a shield bash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FedyVShEavM  :???:
I think someone has actually animated a shield bash like that already. It's a bit showy for me though.

Seek n Destroy said:
:eek:
I'm amazed by the quality of your animations, It really makes M&B better!
Also I have some questions,
Is it possible to make a shield bash anim with the player/npc in movement ( Bashing someone when charging ) ?
Are your new animations compatible with your CAE mod?
Thanks! Whether you could move while bashing would depend on how the particular shield-bashing mechanic worked. I've just made the animation. As far as I know it'd be possible to have a moving shield-bash, in which case the upper body would use my animation and the lower body would use the normal run-cycle, as MadocComadrin pointed out.

I'm making these animations as a resource for modders - they're not part of any mod I'm making. If someone decides to use them, you could certainly have CAE animations at the same time.

rgcotl said:
i could reccomed look at deadliest warrior show
here is an example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3Nw9PgUVIk
Yeah, that shield bash looks like a strike to me - kind of an upwards backfist with the shield. I'll probably stay with more of a punch-like movement, since that keeps the shield covering the character and seems it'd make a better default for that reason.

MadocComadrin said:
You could add animation for footwork and allow the modder to use/not use it. Especially since you can make it so that walking overrides the bottom-half of the animation.
True. I might include a kind of half-lunge if I do another version. I realise that the real problem is passing footwork (where the trailing leg becomes the leading leg), because the only way to maintain the game's normal stance would be to have the character pass forwards and then backwards in the same movement. On the other hand, recovering from a half-lunge at the end of the move would probably look fine.

Either way, I'd say go for a little bit more of a punch-like motion.
So punching with the edge of the shield (i.e., like so)? The shields in-game are strapped, so the character can't punch with the boss. I'll think about this technique in any case, though I'm not sure how good it'll look without passing footwork.

Oh yeah, and the other thing about a punch with the edge is that the chamber position has the character exposed, so it might not blend well with the shield-block position and might look strange in a shieldwall.

Why it wouldn't?

Just exporting it to previous version of BRF would do well but can cause some errors on several parts or maybe not.

Revan Shan said:
This shield bash anim comes with the shield bash code?

PD: Running, walking and jumping anims please!!
Nope, the file is just a .brf with the animations, no code or anything.

I don't think I'll do those movement animations I'm afraid. I mean it's possible, but they're more difficult, and I doubt many people would prefer mine to the Native animations.

Merlkir said:
Papa, will the animation work in MaB 1.011 too?
I think so. I can't be sure, but the SMD files for the animations (and the skeletons) are set up in the same way in both games, so any animations that work in one game should work in the other.

Beobart said:
Do you know the Spear animations from AC II Brotherhood? I think that would look really epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiaSvVYud14

0.24 min
Well I've done new polearm animations already, for my mod, but I have been thinking about other ways of doing them which, if they worked, would make the animations look more like that. Basically I'm thinking of keeping a fairly wide grip and having cuts from the right use a hand-swap. Might be tricky to get the blending to work nicely though.

Anyway yeah, there's a small chance that I'll do polearm animations like this at some point in the future.

Ikaguia said:
an anim to take the weapon from the enemy's hand and another to take it from the ground, would be awesome
I don't think the game supports animations for those actions unfortunately. If someone modded in support for them, I'd be happy to do them though.

Papa Lazarou said:
I don't think I'll do those movement animations I'm afraid. I mean it's possible, but they're more difficult, and I doubt many people would prefer mine to the Native animations.

Native walking, running and jumping anims suck.

Greets.
I dunno if its been done yet, but is there an animation for sitting at a table, eating and or drinking, sitting on a stool/standing at a bar drinking, or an animated conversation like leaning foward and punctuating with hand movements?
I know - not particularly the sexy anims, but goes a long way towards atmosphericsand immersions. maw

Just one?  :razz:

Dual wielding would require new mechanics. I can only animate. I started with the pike and shield animations because modders have already created mechanics for them.

Back
Top Bottom