SP - General And you say you support modding community? TW are you serious?

Users who are viewing this thread

I put this here cause i hope it will be read not like the bug report or modding forum.

So it's sometime now we (the modders) have a lot of issues with the game and how to mod it, not that how it was designed was pretty bad but cause you, dear taleworld have put MANY objects that should be tool for the community as private, meaning that nobody except you can use them. So it's a regular complain now that the modding community asks to put those objects classes, methods to public or at least protected and you stop spamming them as private or internal or both.

So why am i posting now? Simply because you are doing EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE!
So there was a group of classes called "action" that were used for the campaign and their goal was to simplify some actions in the game, like recruiting/firing heroes from a clan, making parties enter or leave a settlement and many like this. One was allowing you to recruit troops directly from a town and was doing all the internal operations like managing the gold, the count etc.

With 1.5 you just deleted "RecruitAction". What ..? You did not changed it, you did not renamed it, no simply removed it. There was also a property in towns that were telling you own many mercenary were available to recruit "MercenaryData" this one have been removed from the towns and put into a behavior.
It might not look bad for you, but this means Mercenary data are not accessible to anybody else, and since you put as usual all inside your behavior as private, event if we try to extend/modify the behavior it remain out of reach. So basically what you are doing right now, is break for absolutely no reason, all the mods that change or help players in their recruitment.That's smart.

So now there is the question, are you planning to remove all the objects in "actions" ? Just to know because me and many people are using this library that was kindly shared with modders, but if it's to realize in the next patch that you plan to remove more of it and destroy every mod that rely on them, i'd like at least to know. Cause that's really how i feel with this patch, you really aim to destroy mods and unlike what you are stating, you do not support your community at all.
I have seen many change in the engine that destroyed what we built and it was "fine" because you needed to make your game and improve things, here it's the first time i see things go worst, completely locking the engine to prevent modders to work, and i really don't feel happy about that, as recruiting troops in M&B is quite a big part of the game, what will it be next? Do you really want only to have cosmetic mods on the game or added weapons? I'm really wondering now.

Last edited:
have put MANY objects that should be tool for the community as private, meaning that nobody except you can use them
With C# we have access to Reflection. We can access protected/private methods, properties, fields etc. at will. Yes, it's easier if things are just public but since we can just ignore protection levels with reflection it really isn't that big of a deal.

Modding tools are just around the corner, so don't burn all your energy on doing things the hard way.
Being pissed that code changes in an Early Access game seems rather strange to me, though I understand the frustration of having one's work be for nothing.

@mylittletantan > Reflecion is a cool tool that shouldn't be abused, exactly like Harmony. Yes you can ignore protection level, you can also ignore it for items privates that are stored in a public dictionary, i use it, cause i have no choice, but did you seriously look at your code after that? Do you think your code is maintainable and easy to debug when you abuse of reflection? No it's not. I use a lot of reflection in noHarmony to access things that were protected and version after version it was more and more a nightmare to maintain and debug, finally i had to change all the code and do tricks with unprotected pointer access to achieve the same thing and make a "clean" code that can be used. So people always answering "Oh be cool man, let them lock the game" is the same thing that say "Yet let yourself get amputee, you'll have a nice prosthesis", i really don't see the point. It's when the game is still in development that this kind of issues needs to be addressed not when it will be finished and polished.

@Sgtskywalk & @Tobles > Modding tools will be useless if they locks all the game features in the code to not be accessible. It's fun to be able to design some new map, but if you are denied the right to use it i don't see the point. And that's exactly what they are doing here, locking the code and removing the little that is available.

Lmao, no way in hell is your new map or any other asset created with the modding tools going to be unaccessible or denied of use, the modding tools are there to ease the creation and integration in-game of new assets. The game is currently in early access, and the main focus right now is to stabilize it and finish releasing all its content. The changes they're making are there to tidy up the game files and assure the game's stability, as well as to prepare the terrain for the modding tools which are going to be playing with exactly those files. Then, when all the necessary mod tools are released, you will be able to perform whatever game change you want and incorporate it into your game, so chill and wait patiently with all the other big modders who are currently working on and preparing as many game assets they can,with no modding tools, for the future release of ASOIAF mods, LOTR mods, Warcraft mods, ancient rome mods and many more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom