Ancient Egyptians

Users who are viewing this thread

A little bird told me Greeks came down and birthed the ancient Egyptians. What they became after that, nobody knows... at least I don't.

Phallus Erectus said:
A little bird told me Greeks came down and birthed the ancient Egyptians. What they became after that, nobody knows... at least I don't.

Necro-post much?

since there seems to be alot of race discussions here, i think here would be a good place t asdk a question that has been bothering me for awihle
We are the human race corrct?

then why do we call eachother different races?

i know it's academic, but really, it's annoying

regiment77 said:
since there seems to be alot of race discussions here, i think here would be a good place t asdk a question that has been bothering me for awihle

technically humans are a species.

Merlkir said:
regiment77 said:

thanks for setting my mind to rest (at least a bit)

technically humans are a species.

regiment77 said:

Definition of race is pretty wide and word generally means "subgroup" of something. You can base your race on language, culture, even profession. You will find examples of all of that. In biological sense it is usually used to designate subgroup of specie. But again, you might find exceptions. Humans are considered specie but then it depend what you think "humans" are: only Homo Sapiens? What about Homo Erectus, Homo Neandertalis and other "kinds" of Homo?
General rule is that races can interbreed while species can not.

And here is definition of race from Online Etymology Dictionary:
"people of common descent," c.1500, from M.Fr. razza "race, breed, lineage," possibly from It. razza, of unknown origin (cf. Sp., Port. raza). Original senses in English included "wines with characteristic flavor" (1520), "group of people with common occupation" (c.1500), and "generation" (c.1560). Meaning "tribe, nation, or people regarded as of common stock" is from c.1600. Modern meaning of "one of the great divisions of mankind based on physical peculiarities" is from 1774 (though even among anthropologists there never has been an accepted classification of these).

Just being a Negro doesn't qualify you to understand the race situation any more than being sick makes you an expert on medicine. [**** Gregory, 1964]

Klein suggests these derive from Arabic ra's "head, beginning, origin" (cf. Heb. rosh). O.E. þeode meant both "race" and "language;" as a verb, geþeodan, it meant "to unite, to join." Race-riot attested from 1890.
You see definition is pretty wide.

As for original question about people of ancient Egypt, they were probably related to other ancient people of Northern Africa, like Berbers, Numidians, Libyans. What people do not recognize about Africa is that it is split in to two parts by Sahara. Northern part was historically much more related to Mediterranean world than to rest of Africa itself. In ancient times, water was mean of communication more than obstacle. And land interiors were often inaccessible due to mountains, large deep forests or deserts.

Ancient Egyptians were certainly not black. There was kingdom of Nubia to the south of Egypt, famous by its gold mines and black people. In certain period of Egyptian history kings of Nubia conquered Egypt and became Pharaohs. That was only time when Egypt had black Pharaohs: Twenty-fifth dynasty, The Black Pharaohs, Black Rulers of Ancient Egypt

Back
Top Bottom