Ancalimon is the new CEO of the History Channel

Users who are viewing this thread

Moose! said:
D'Sparil said:
-A greek guy with a fake tan and hilarious hair talking about how aliens built every single ancient building and taught humans all about science

That guy is my favorite History Channel contributor ever!

17a39786-eb51-4e4a-90f9-3f9b108688af.jpg

Maybe he's an alien...

45477_1268165883745_1817776992_529128_4515118_n.jpg

I actually was on an Indiana Jones fan forum that the crazy-hair dude above, Giorgios Tsoukalos, was also on (under the username Legendary Times, the name being his rag of a conspiracy magazine).  I unfortunately wasn't active on the forum when he was busy zealously spouting his nonsense and touting his magazine, but I (and some other folks) did enter into a giant argument/flamefest with primarily one of his fellow believers in another thread which lasted for a horrifying 35 pages or so, covering topics such as underwater pyramids in Lake Michigan, alien abductions, and the Great Pyramid not being a  tomb, and somehow was not locked (see the thread here, if you really, REALLY want http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=2048:cool:.  From that thread, though, I learned that arguing with such crazy people is fruitless.  They are so convinced of their beliefs that logic and the vast historical context easily available to them is ignored or is labelled as dogmatic or a conspiracy.  Really all that can be done with these people is either mock them, or ignore them . . .something some people could learn to do regarding ancalimon.  :wink:

And the History Channel is definitely worse than it was a decade ago.  When it was the Hitler Channel, at least it was history, even if after 6 hours straight of WW2 stock footage, one starts to get numb.  Nowadays, if I turn on the channel, there's about a 50% chance that they're talking about how the Freemasons used Templar technology to build Atlantis underwater near the Japanese shoreline.  It's just sad.  I remember turning the channel on a couple years ago and watching an insightful and interesting show on the Battle of Qadesh--the one good episode of TV I've seen on the History Channel in about five years or so.  In some ways, that just makes it worse; they mix in the occasional educational show with a liberal amount of post-Da Vinci Code **** so the common idiot layman won't know the difference.  American education is crappy enough without this channel on the air. 

Also, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ8KleL4fS4

krik killer said:
It's **** like the history channel that fuels people like rgodfrey. It was previously alright though.

They like to ignore the fact that Benjamin Franklin was a member of a sex orgy club in France because according to Glenn Beck he went to church every Sunday and sang in the choir, just like Thomas Jefferson when he wasn't too busy having sex with his slaves. I have no trouble believing that Jesus had a wife and children but The DaVinci Code claims that his offspring migrated to France and were given royal status. That is ridiculous and should be laughed at instead of being a roaring multimillion dollar success. If you want to join the Shriners or the Freemasons it isn't that hard and you won't need to join an assassins guild either. You might need to take a vow a secrecy but that is just for fun, It is not that big of a deal. Sure, they use the Ark of the Covenent every day but only to make sandwiches and beer.

Now that I think about it, it all started after the huge success of the Da Vinci Code. People went nuts for conspiracy theories and "secret" history, and the channel gave them that. The success of reality shows added to the fuel thus we got today's History Channel.

Pretty much.  Going to a Barnes and Noble or any other bookstore confirms that the Da Vinci Code has had its impact on books, as well.  Go to the history section, and you'll find a ton of books on the Templars, Freemasons, etc.  Too bad that this kind of hype towards secret medieval mysteries didn't start with "The Name of the Rose."  Perhaps that would've made this trend bearable.

I remember the days when the History Channel actually showed History documentaries. American Pickers and Pawn Stars show history somewhat with the various background of items that is shown but besides that it is downhill. Gone are the days you can leave the channel on History all day. History International shows various shows from the past ten years or so of the History Channel but most of it isn't the interesting shows. It just seems as though they are following every things that catches popularity.

Actually, i'm not finding any info on any kind of CEO change.

What I did find is that it had one hell of an October ratings boost:

http://a614.g.akamai.net/7/614/2201/v001/aetn.download.akamai.com/103098/aetn/pr2/HISTORY%20-%20October%202010%20Ratings%20release.pdf

So I don't think those IRT / American Pickers / Pawn Stars programs are going away any time soon.

ealabor said:
Actually, i'm not finding any info on any kind of CEO change.

The title of the thread is just a joke about that wacko turk who posts his insane pan-turkic theories in the Sage's Guild. If you haven't read his posts yet go and do it. And despair.

Sure, but watching overweight construction workers cursing at each and brandishing their axes while mutilating baby deer isn't my style of entertainment.

I prefer curb stomping kittens.

Suspicous Pilgrim said:
Sure, but watching overweight construction workers cursing at each and brandishing their axes while mutilating baby deer isn't my style of entertainment.

I prefer curb stomping kittens.
Oh definitely any show about jobs where a degree automatically means you don't work there, sucks.

And the history channel is any better then Discovery at that? At least in Discovery they actually educate you about the qauntities of explosives, scientific calculation, hypothesis, and the whole operation of the experiments in their "redneck" shows.

Then you have History Channel which has a bunch of redneck truck drivers driving on thin ice or in a desert with minimal safety coverage, or a plane landing on a ice flow, old men bidding each other for ancient condoms or a whole conspiracist block of shows that focus on nothing other then Nazi bunkers, Aliens and trash underground with perplexive claims against governments and actual history.

Discovery is alot more credible then History Channel will ever be.

Back
Top Bottom