Anachronisms in the game

Users who are viewing this thread

goodj111

Recruit
To whom it may concern,

There are a few anachronisms in the game, for instance, 'Gyni' is wrong, as the word for woman in Ancient Greek language 'γυνή' should be transliterated as 'Gyne', corresponding to the correct Ancient Greek pronunciation of the letter 'η', whilst 'Gyni' is the transliteration of the Modern Greek language pronunciation, which is very different from the Ancient Greek pronunciation spoken in the Classical Greece, the supposed setting of the game; also, if I remembered correctly, 'o Athinios' should be 'ho Athinios', just like Alexander the Great is 'Alexandros ho Megas' but not Alexandros o Megas.

I suggest you correct them and use Ancient Greek's pronunciation as reference instead of using Modern Greek in the game.

I am, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant,​
goodj111​

Ok, so first of all, goodj111 does have a point. Sorry for the delayed answer, by the way.

Now, again, you are correct, but at the same time wrong.  :smile:
What I mean is this: "gini", woman, wasn't written like that, yes, but "gine" is wrong too. The correct is γυνή. If we would like to be correct, that would translate as 'gunh', per letter. I chose to write it as we pronounce it. Also, γυνή is the common term for Ancient and Modern greek, too, no distinction there.

About the articles, that letter 'h' you corretly put there is called δασεία and it's a symbol like the umlauts of the German tongue. It gives the letter(vocal) it punctuates a more thick sound. Think it like a ch versus a simple s, but for vocals. Correct it will be, but not really useful when the game is by default in English and played by foreign players. It would mean anything to them.  :smile:

All in all, thank you for the input. I really appreciate it and yes, there are inaccuracies there. I have no excuse but that: Gameplay. Might seem the 'easy way', but I tried to find a balancing spot between Gameplay and historical accuracy. Yes, there are anachronism and I fully admit in some occasions, I used something that might looked better, despite being of a wrong period. Again, it's been done for gameplay and aesthetical reasons. I do believe I have expained that in the main thread, though.

Finally, I thank you again for the correction. I changed many wrong things, I am sure there are a couple more that escape my attention, though. I am glad to take every correction into account.  :smile:

Oh, and by the way, Version 1.04 is released today, I will post the changelong in the announcement thread and of course the download link in the Downloads thread.

Thank you for replying. You said, "What I mean is this: "gini", woman, wasn't written like that, yes, but "gine" is wrong too." Maybe I didn't emphasize it, but I never demanded you to use Greek alphabets in order to be correct, as I assume you use the standard Ancient Greek romanization. As for the Mr. Redleg who claimed to have commented sarcastically, I don't understand what does suggesting to use the correct Ancient Greek transliteration have to do with using Greek Alphabet. I was simply talking about the transliteration. Can you not use the obviously fallacious straw-man argument?
  Alright, back to the point. I simply suggested you to use the correct transliteration which was based on Latin, and have always been the standard usage internationally. And the transliteration itselves, in this case - "gune" is the Latin's phonetic transliteration of  the Ancient Greek "γυνή", whilst the pronunciation of Ancient Greek should be  /ɡy.nɛ᷄ː/ (IPA), just like "gune", not gunh as if */ɡy.nh/. Whilst Alexander the Great, Aléxandros ho Mégas should be /a.lék.san.dros ho mé.gas/, corresponding to the standard transliteration thereof. But of course, you can definitely dismiss my suggestion because of the reason that you would like to use the Modern Greek pronunciation for the game's proper nouns, and it is your right to do so. However, please don't confuse or garble the facts. Anyway, I may still play it, after downloading the new version, regardless of whether this situation is changed or not.

Ok, calm down, dude. I think you are giving too much importance to such simple things. Thing is, as I have said in my post, you ARE right. But I have chose the most easy to spell and closer to the pronunciation, not the right one. Of course, if that annoys you, you must skip the mod. I think I have mentioned a couple of times in the various threads, that the mod is made firstly with game-play and then historical accuracy in mind. Simply put, I wanted it to be enjoyed and user-friendly. You shouldn't expect to learn history or linguistics from here.  :razz:

And your mod is both enjoyable and user-friendly.  Perhaps the concern trolls are engaging in hysterical accuracy more than historical accuracy.

Anyway, get back to work on the new mod, which I hope will include diplomacy, freelancer, and PBOD!

Okay, thanks, but let's not fight. Everyone can have his opinion, and of course, you don't have to play the mod if you don't like something in it.  :smile:

I am working on the mod, and I started with Diplomacy and Freelancer as base, they are already there. I won't implement the whole PBOD mod, but some parts of it. I especially like and find useful and appropriate the spear bracing order and the strategy planning. I might make a new presentation for it, though, more immersive.  :smile:

Back
Top Bottom