An open letter to the competitive community

Users who are viewing this thread

You guys asked the combat parameters to be changed, and they literally got changed almost exactly as requested.
Factions were imbalanced, they are much better now.
There were many useless perks, we are changing them.
Some weapons and OP, they got adjusted.
The patch that was supposed to go out last night, makes spears hit earlier and deal more damage consistently, slows down maces, nerfs archer 2 handers, makes ALL infantry run faster and buffs pikes against cav. How are these changes not requested by the community?

And here we are hoping that competitive games to be played with standard rules so that we get to see what is broken and overpowered so we can FIX IT. We are are not saying the game is better with no-limits so you should play it that way.

I am literally asking you to play and show me what is wrong so we can fix it, how is that not listening to community?
The main problem people are having right now is what has happened between now and the start of beta - which, for the amount of time, hasn't been much. That means many people are afraid that they'll be stuck with a badly balanced tournament for weeks while nothing is happening balance-wise.

Now, the last patches were better and having the next patch you mentioned this soon after the last one - both of those things have given me hope that future (important) changes will come at a similar pace, but I can't blame others for still being sceptical of that. 17 weeks of crushthrough have scarred a lot of people.

I think I would be speaking for a lot of players here if I say that most are waiting for servers and bigger battles than 6v6. And personally I would rather balance the game around 10v10 15v15 60v60 etc. and not around 6v6.

But in relation to the tournament, I would prefer to play without limits in any case, as I think it would provide a better platform both for the devs and for players to understand the game more. If you want infantry fights or locked 1-1-4 compositions you should not do it in the only major tournament in Bannerlord.

A good solution would be to play a hundred games of pick ups using all factions and no restrictions, make factions stats and send that to devs.

Why would you take the risk to ruin the most important Bannerlord tournament and kill the competitive? I definitly won't play a single match of Beast if class restrictions is removed.

It also feels like players need to do devs job, 9 months and nothing new from multiplayer side, always the same factions/balance issues it's like we are stuck in a loop, I've been waiting for ranked, duel and groupfighting mode for ages and we don't even have a date for the release.

I like Bannerlord in it's current state even tho i'm an infantry player, I don't really care about that "balance" stuff, everytime there are buffs and modifications people complain, you can't make everyone happy so just focus on usefull features like ranked, duel and groupfighting modes, character customizations / skins, new game modes, new badges as you announced with the famous "we are working on it" which actually mean "we will release that in 2 years"

Last edited:
You guys asked the combat parameters to be changed, and they literally got changed almost exactly as requested.
Factions were imbalanced, they are much better now.
There were many useless perks, we are changing them.
Some weapons and OP, they got adjusted.
The patch that was supposed to go out last night, makes spears hit earlier and deal more damage consistently, slows down maces, nerfs archer 2 handers, makes ALL infantry run faster and buffs pikes against cav. How are these changes not requested by the community?

And here we are hoping that competitive games to be played with standard rules so that we get to see what is broken and overpowered so we can FIX IT. We are are not saying the game is better with no-limits so you should play it that way.

I am literally asking you to play and show me what is wrong so we can fix it, how is that not listening to community?
These all sound good besides the mace slowdown. I don't really know why you want to slow down maces, but we will see how that plays out. Maybe it will be great, I'm eager to try it out. I'd say it's better to adress each mace individually (Battania Heavy Mace and Khuzait Mace should not be slowed down further imo, but their damage hits like a truck, while the vlandian and battanian light mace are fast as **** wtf) - but we will see.

No offense at the Devs, but:
17 weeks of crushthrough have scarred a lot of people.

We will get more rapid patching. This is our chance of giving TW emperical data of how MP should be. We might laugh at casual 50/50 faction winrate stats, but we need to bring evidence how competitive play changes the game balance.

*Edit* though I also want to see the data how induvidual units preform.

All jokes aside, if that patch will somehow change the miserable state of infantry I will most likely myself go forward and vote for limitless gameplay. The thing is, I want to see how it plays out before I make the decision. Also, how sure can we be that new system of "constant patches that will be faster" will be a thing during next BEAST? I am not into being stuck with some game breaking stuff like crush through being around for 17 weeks, even tho idea of crush through was even oposed in combat tests we took part in.

Well i guess there are people saying how they refuse playing beast with no restrictions ..
I guess i'm on the opposite side saying i won't play with restriction ..
Can't please anyone anyway
Whats the best solution long-term

No offense at the Devs, but:
Namakan said:
17 weeks of crushthrough have scarred a lot of people.

You guys are completely right on this and it will never happen again. We made adjustments to be able to send balance patches and critical fixes faster and straight to live.

I must start by saying that I am nobody within the competitive scenario, but I will still give my opinion here.

I know that things are not as we would like them to be (a class system held in check, no battle, no custom servers...etc) and that others could have been expedited taking into account the long development in which the MP has been involved. Many of us are skeptical, as some may think that there has been enough time for Taleworlds to balance the MP from August 2019 until now.

They are having a hard time fixing a line of code, block delays, crushthroughts and so on... However, I think the devs are doing their best and events like the ones we are dealing with today can lead to the gathering of huge amounts of feedback for the sake of a better Bannerlord in near future .

I know that the badge offer sounds like a joke to us, but I want to see this proposal as something positive. I hope that with it, we obtain something positive.

I tell you, I'm not a renowned veteran of the competitive scene; however, despite the widespread skepticism, let's be lax this time and not force the pulse with Taleworlds. Maybe this is the right moment to inflect, maybe this little sacrifice asked in this tournament will be worth for us in the near future; because without us, the Community; the scene does not exist and Taleworlds know it.

Let's calm it down a notch; don't be so aggressive, obviously the development hasn't been 'ideal' but this isn't about 'bribing', it's about improving the game.

Having no restrictions is extremely controversial as it could potentially ruin the BEASTS tournament name as it could potentially go down the drain if there's a meta people use making the tournament unfun with the potential or ruining BL's already small competitive scene. On the other hand it's a fantastic opportunity to fix some of the issues present in Skirmish which could mean an improvement to future tournaments without restrictions, so basically, pick your poison.

Id suggest @Ikea Knight to create a thread poll with 'Class Restrictions' and 'No Class Restrictions' to get a better idea instead of the constant flame. If people keep flaming, this thread will be locked and the administration will have to make the decision themselves, so be nice and constructive. It's of course ok to have concerns about either option and express them, but using Ad Hominem towards the developers is NOT allowed.

Last edited:
I think, given proper balance, it would make the game more fresh. Unit selection would play a big and interesting role. We could see some crazy tactics.

As for the matter of people needing to pick classes they are not main in, I don't find a big deal. We can all do decent with classes we have not played for some time/that often. Skill transition from class to class is not that hard.

The end goal needs to be that no unit or unit composition is without counter(s). Respawing as correct unit should have big impact.

As for people being forced to play classes they don't like. This is a 6v6 game mode. You need to be ready to play anything. I am sure with Battle we could have games large enough where a person that only want to play one particular class won't hinder his/her team.

Skirmish is not intended to be inf groupfighting (nor cav group fighting or CS: Calradia). I know people want that, I like it too sometimes, but hopefully it will be added soontm as gamemode

To me the community is pushing for infantry to be the strongest class with cav and archers nerfed and acting as support, the community enjoys infantry group fighting. The thing I want to know is whether TW wants to enforce that as per the communities wish or do they want differing strategies for every map, match up, situation. That is what will change a lot of minds on class restriction vote as well as a show of rapid balance patches to fix obvious unbalances.

Perhaps we should wait for the patch. BEAST's not going to start until February 1st anyway don't we have enough time to test things out and vote for/against class restriction until then? If needed I believe Ikeaknight and admins can delay it.

If you want to see what happens when a tourney has no class restrictions go back and watch Unk vs KoA lol

That aside, seems like it could be a good opportunity for the devs to see how the game actually plays out, and not make changes based off pub games.

If you want to collect data from competitive scene, you can make your own tournament with a prize pool. You have a recourses for that. Tournament without restrictions will be an uninteresting experience for sure. And devs wants us to suffer for badges from paint? Make your own tournament with a decent prize pool and then we can have a conversation

obviously the development hasn't been 'ideal' but this isn't about 'bribing', it's about improving the game.
It’s developer’s job to improve the game, not community’s.

Back
Top Bottom