An open letter from the Kingdoms of Arda team, and the total-conversion mod community

Users who are viewing this thread

I thought private also didn't allow out-of-assembly access? Or am I misremembering? Been too long since I did any C#.
This is correct; private is a more restrictive access modifier than internal. Regardless, using internal to "enforce good coding practices" with their own developers is very strange to say the least... those good coding practices should be enforced by their developers when carrying out code reviews.

Not to mention Taleworlds is on a whole other planet if they think their developers are currently following good OOP conventions

This is correct; private is a more restrictive access modifier than internal. Regardless, using internal to "enforce good coding practices" with their own developers is very strange to say the least... those good coding practices should be enforced by their developers when carrying out code reviews.

Not to mention Taleworlds is on a whole other planet if they think their developers are currently following good OOP conventions
So changing internal to private wouldn't do anything for the modders it seems.
So the pushback to the "internal consistency" reason isn't so much about the practice itself as it is "that doesn't line up with how TW has done things so far so it doesn't really make sense"?

Last edited:
I thought private also didn't allow out-of-assembly access? Or am I misremembering? Been too long since I did any C#.
That wasn't my point. I think I misexplain that. The scenario he described sounds like a better fit for private than internal. Internal means we want to use it internally in the assembly but not outside of this assembly. More like "we can change it but not you =)". And Taleworlds have around 6-8 dll's and it's very unlikely that there will be cross-assembly change attempts by their team. That's why I don't find his explanation sincere.
Changing internal to public shouldn't have any effect on Taleworlds' codebase and it would just make life easier for modders.
And to clarify something, of course, I'm not talking about CTRL+Shift+F, I see some people really think I suggested that :lol: - it was a worst-case example, like in case if an intern has no clue and even if they do such an easy thing, it's very unlikely that it will break anything on their build process.
But again, I personally don't care it anymore. Please add more internals and privates Taleworlds. If this will make your game better and add more content, you can even rewrite entire codebase in Pascal or F#

That wasn't my point. I think I misexplain that. The scenario he described sounds like a better fit for private than internal. Internal means we want to use it internally in the assembly but not outside of this assembly. More like "we can change it but not you =)". And Taleworlds have around 6-8 dll's and it's very unlikely that there will be cross-assembly change attempts by their team. That's why I don't find his explanation sincere.
Changing internal to public shouldn't have any effect on Taleworlds' codebase and it would just make life easier for modders.
And to clarify something, of course, I'm not talking about CTRL+Shift+F, I see some people really think I suggested that :lol: - it was a worst-case example, like in case if an intern has no clue and even if they do such an easy thing, it's very unlikely that it will break anything on their build process.
But again, I personally don't care it anymore. Please add more internals and privates Taleworlds. If this will make your game better and add more content, you can even rewrite entire codebase in Pascal or F#
So it's more that the fact that it's internal and not private makes it not line up with the reasons they've given since private would make far more sense for that purpose? Hence you're rather suspicious of that reasoning they've given for the internals?

Sorry if I misquoted you. I just sorta used this to show that while it may seem simple it isn't just as easy as that, and is an actual process. Once again, I did not mean to make it seem at all as if you did not know what it means. I apologize if that was the effect, I just want you to know that that wasn't the intended one.

Also, thank you for elaborating on private vs. internal, that does seem like a much better solution then what is currently happening.

First, you took our hype away, then you letdown us.
Modders make the game much enjoyable. And now you're taking our modders away.
I don't want to be sound rude to say that but, WTF are you doing TW?

So changing internal to private wouldn't do anything for the modders it seems.
Yep, I was incorrect about that. My bad.
So the pushback to the "internal consistency" reason isn't so much about the practice itself as it is "that doesn't line up with how TW has done things so far so it doesn't really make sense"?
I think the argument, if I'm not getting it wrong again, is (a) that since the code is already messy anyway it doesn't seem to make sense, and (b) modders would prefer TW uses code reviews to keep their code in check, instead of using internal, which is such a major hindrance to modders.

And that if TW has to do it that way, alternate solutions would be a fork of the code, or removing the internal keyword when distributing release branches.

Last edited:
A question for the devs:

The idea of asking directly to the dev for any change about the internal modifiers, could it cause legal issues? I mean, if someone wants to do a LOTR, SW or Warhammer based overhaul mods and ask you something and you provide it, aren't you in trouble? This is a direct involvement so I think I have the answer, but ask it anyway.

A question for the devs:

The idea of asking directly to the dev for any change about the internal modifiers, could it cause legal issues? I mean, if someone wants to do a LOTR, SW or Warhammer based overhaul mods and ask you something and you provide it, aren't you in trouble? This is a direct involvement so I think I have the answer, but ask it anyway.
You mean violation of copyright as possible trouble? The devs would have no connection to that whatsoever, only the modders are exposed. Are the devs giving Star Wars models to the modders? No.
Their changes would actually suit overhaul mods in general and not just those with copyright problems, so that's their defense.

You mean violation of copyright as possible trouble? The devs would have no connection to that whatsoever, only the modders are exposed. Are the devs giving Star Wars models to the modders? No.
Their changes would actually suit overhaul mods in general and not just those with copyright problems, so that's their defense.
But providing a direct support to someone using your game for a violation of copyright through modding, it could be a situation problematic for TW. The naive defense of "I don't have control about what they did with our game" could not hold. The workaround is that someone else ask for the change and that the dev never answer to the demands from people doing mods with copyright violation.

I am really waiting an answer from the devs.

But providing a direct support to someone using your game for a violation of copyright through modding, it could be a situation problematic for TW. The naive defense of "I don't have control about what they did with our game" could not hold. The workaround is that someone else ask for the change and that the dev never answer to the demands from people doing mods with copyright violation.
Giving more access to their own game has nothing to do with anyone else's intellectual property. This is kind of obvious.

So can we clarify this: you guys are using the internal keyword to enforce good coding practices in-house? Is there a reason you can't remove the internal keyword when you distribute release branches?
THIS. The "CTR + F" solution may be drastic as far as the code you're working on in-house, but I don't see a reason why it isn't worth doing for release branches if the alternative is no complex mods being developed ever.
COBOL? No! Visual Basic? No.... I got it... Java! Wait... Flash!!! They should remake BL in Adobe Flash.

FarFavoriteConey-max-1mb.gif

I am really waiting an answer from the devs.
Yeah that's not a thing and hasn't been a thing for any mods, with extremely rare exceptions. Even if copyright claims could be made, the entire industry outside of TW plus a few others realizes that antagonizing modders is a great way to turn lifelong fans into lifelong enemies. It'd be like throwing copyright strikes at fanfics. People who gladly spend their free time paying homage to your content or enjoying said homage are also people who will spend a substantial portion of their disposable income on your franchise.

Yeah that's not a thing and hasn't been a thing for any mods, with extremely rare exceptions. Even if copyright claims could be made, the entire industry outside of TW plus a few others realizes that antagonizing modders is a great way to turn lifelong fans into lifelong enemies. It'd be like throwing copyright strikes at fanfics. People who gladly spend their free time paying homage to your content or enjoying said homage are also people who will spend a substantial portion of their disposable income on your franchise.
Lotr mods in Skyrim had issues :

There is also the tacite rule of no LOTR-mod in warhammer total war due to the implication of GameWorkshops. There is the recurring removal of mods in steam workshop due to copyright violation.

So I wouldn't say it is not a thing.

It was one LotR mod, one single one out of the dozens which are out there for various games, and this also only because they have had plans to make a commercial game with a similar setting (LotR Online)

Total War games are getting less moddable by every release. GamesWorkshop might have requested some additional restrictions but I don't think anyone truly believed it would be very moddable. How to sell the DLCs if everyone can simply use mods?

This goes also off-topic from the thread topic here, so if you want to discuss something in that direction, open up a new thread for it.

Right. Although my question to the devs is legitimate I think and not off-topic.
It is off topic, and there are already multiple threads where that topic has been thoroughly discussed.

If you want a legitimate answer to that question, I recommend talking to a lawyer instead of asking a bunch of random people online.

Right. Although my question to the devs is legitimate I think and not off-topic.
It is off topic, and there are already multiple threads where that topic has been thoroughly discussed.

If you want a legitimate answer to that question, I recommend talking to a lawyer instead of asking a bunch of random people online.
If IP law or anything else were the reason behind TW's response to the letter, I'm pretty sure they would have said so themselves. If they want to pipe up about it, they have plenty of opportunity without us going into the legal history of fan-produced content.

As it stands, Duh's response cites good internal coding practices and apparently previous dev communications suggested internals were about enforcing mod compatibility.

TW has not suggested at any point that they're intentionally hamstringing mod development and, unless they do, it's kind of pointless to hypothetically examine legit reasons why they might want to do that.

The current state of the conversation is that community members have called shenanigans on Duh's explanation and suggested that release branches having internals removed would solve the problem without harming internal coding practices. We're now awaiting another response and any speculation on behalf of TW would be a distraction.

Side note: I'm pretty sure this is academic anyway. Most all of the fans would be furious if TW admitted to intentionally hamstringing modders even if they had a really good reason.

I just hope you guys don't forget who brought you so much success and sales, modders are an absolute integral part of this franchise and community.

Back
Top Bottom