• Late war with France

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Late war with Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

nczNM.jpg

"Herr Admiral?" said a staff officer towards a busy older man sitting behind a desk with a considerable amount of papers and files on it.
"Yes, Leutenant?" answered the man without lifting his eyes from the papers.
"You have been summoned to Vienna, sir. It is rather urgent."
"Summoned? By whom?"
"The Kaiser, sir."

The needed introduction:

This is an AAR for Rule the Waves game ("RTW"). RTW is a game about the dreadnought race and covers the time between 1900-1925 in which the player is both building and maintaining a fleet as well as fighting battles in wars that his country gets involved in. Designing ships is a large part of it. The game is not historical about wars so they may break out anywhere between anyone. Navies, of course, have the main task of winning those wars.

MANUAL
this is the manual for the game. It is very brief so you may look into it to get a brief understanding about how the game works. Anyway, I only have two playthroughs at the moment so I am pretty bad at it myself.

The AAR is semi-interactive in that certain important decisions will be resolved by polls. It should make things a little more interesting. Quite a nice thing about RTW is that it can lean heavy on the RP side, making it quite an ideal game for AAR.

I am (obviously) playing Austria-Hungary on its ascension to the stars. A-H is quite a peculiar nation in RTW. It has the lowest funds of all the countries but has a a thing or two going for her. Primarily, she is confined to the Adriatic sea. This means that her ships will usually be of better quality than those of other nations (with the exception of its natural enemy - Italy) because A-H can afford to have all ships designed for short range and cramped accommodations which leaves more space for armament, engines or armor. Short range and cramped accommodations render the ships unusable for defending colonial possessions but, luckily, A-H has none. A-H starts with a small dock and can only build guns up to 11 inches in caliber. She also has oil wells which means she can use oil engines once these are invented (oil engines are lighter and faster than coal engines and have a lower smoke signature, but they are more expensive). She has bonuses for researching torpedoes.

Being confined to the Mediterranean, A-H's natural enemy is Italy as both France and Britain have weaker presence there.

yu-Hc.jpg
QFqyU.jpg

The auto-generated starting fleet is pretty solid. The two Kaiser class battleships I have are rather meh as there is only two of them and they have very low displacement for battleships but Kaiser Karl IV armored cruisers are solid ships. I am not sure about Zenta class light cruisers as despite their solid armament, they are rather slow. Early destroyers are just bad but that is because they are early destroyers.

X6k7x.jpg
SSmja.jpg

Six more ships are under construction but they are not anything to write home about either. The armored cruiser might be nice, the destroyers are bad.

y03d7.jpg

RNG has not been favorable towards Italy, though. I overpower them in everything apart from the main battleship line. This means that should the war break out, I will have to avoid battleship confrontation but can confidently fight smaller battles in which Bs are not (hopefully) involved (see p. 14 of the Manual for a description of battles). They have no destroyers at all.

So, yes, that is it for the introduction. The part with the big decisions coming soon.

Part 1 - Taking the office (January 1900 - July 1900)

Admiral Leopold Mansfeld was looking out a window of his railway car as the train was ascending the Semmeringbahn. Being appointed Marinekommandant was surely going to be the highlight of his service to the Monarchy, but the task was enormous. Austria was momentarily enjoying superiority in numbers over its adversary but with low budget and looming social reforms that were going to shrink the budget even further, the possibility of maintaining that superiority was remote. Later that night, as the train was descending to the Adriatic, Mansfeld started to prepare an enormous amount of paperwork.

"This navy will need a clear and defined doctrine," he thought. "The Monarchy may not have the money to do everything, but it sure has the money to do at least few things right."

LSift.jpg

CKeSZ.jpg
Train navigating the Semmeringbahn​
Pula naval yard​

However, before the navy has funds to do anything fancy, ships that are still in construction have to be completed. Then the Monarchy can start to build ships befitting its doctrines. In the meantime, Admiral Mansfeld authorizes increased funds for research. The Monarchy might not be the USA, but it can also produce brilliant minds that can produce brilliant ideas.

3v7oY.jpg

In the meantime, Italy laid down several destroyers in hopes of building a balanced fleet. With their advantage in battleships, having sufficient screen might tip the balance in their favour.
08kMz.jpg

In May and June 1900, the series of destroyers was completed and thus SMS Python, SMS Kigio, SMS Salamander, SMS Boa and SMS Cobra were launched. The Monarchy's supremacy in destroyers was now indisputable.

In July 1900, Mansfeld, much to his delight, was approached by the representatives of the Stabilimento Tecnico Triestino (the S.T.T), the largest manufacturer of ships in the Monarchy. He was informed that the shipyard has managed to struck a contract with a government of a south American nation and that with this contract, they are able to enlarge their docks so it now can accommodate ships up to a displacement of 14.000 tons.
g8mX0.jpg

With only 7 months till the completion of SMS Kaiserin und Königin Maria Theresia armored cruiser, Admiral Mansfeld laid down all the options he so far had in the development of his fleet. This choice would determine the state of the K.u.K. Marine for years to come (in the next post),...

Part 2 - Austro-Hungarian doctrine (August 1900 - September 1900)

For the next two months, Admiral Mansfeld sent a hundreds and hundreds letters and made even more telephone calls to get a grasp of the state the navy was in. If there was one thing the Monarchy excelled in, it was bureaucracy. There were numerous research teams working on dozens of projects but they were not coordinated in any way. While the majority was based either in Trieste, Pula or Fiume, there were research teams also in Vienna, Budapest, Wiener Neustadt, Linz and Zagreb. To improve their coordination and mutual communication, Mansfeld immediately ordered for all the research teams that are not in coastal cities to rebase to Vienna and Budapest.

However, his main activity was elsewhere. He called for several meetings with officers, both old and new, to talk about the very concept of the Imperial and Royal navy. Should it defend the coast? Should it seek out and destroy enemy fleets? Should it attack merchant shipping? And do we have enough money for it? Mansfeld wanted to know their opinions for their expertise may play crucial role in the future.

595028_cms2image-fixed-561x315_1pF1cz_TNlkus.jpg

wosecek-setkani.s.cirarem.karlem.i.1.jpg
Imperial and Royal Naval Academy in Trieste​
Admiral Mansfeld addressing young officers​

However, another threat was imminent; one far more sinister than Italy with all its ships. Social democrats.

L_vMe.jpg

Mansfeld immediately departed for Vienna. His goal was clear - to prove to the ignorant politicians that should doom come to this Monarchy, it will be from the outside, carried by large ships of foreign nations and not from the hungry or desperate citizens inside. He knew damn well that while citizens might be desperate sometimes, they never bring 12 inch guns with them. Unlike the Italians. And it was his goal to persuade social democratic government that the only way to prevent this is to have the mast on which the red-white-red flag is flying taller and stronger than anyone else. And that it costs money.

The Admiral, in his blue overcoat, with the Knight's Cross of Military Order of Maria Theresa and the Signum Laudis proudly pinned on breast, and with three other Navy officers approached the delegation composed of members of both the Austrian Parliament and the Diet of Hungary:

"Meine Herren, I will speak shortly and harshly. The times are hard. Our treasury is not in a happy state. I know.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand that the poor need help. I should know. There were times when I had no money to pay my butler and he often had to go to sleep with an empty stomach. I had only the deepest sympathies for the men. When my daughter was getting married, the dowry I could give her was not the most spectacular. Hell, there were even times I had to buy Inländer Rum instead of imports. Nevertheless, we must not forget that every dumpling and every schnitzel we give to the poor is a piece of coal and a piece of ammunition that we take from our sailors! This navy, this fleet, is the force on the frontier of the Monarchy. We fight so you might live without ever seeing war. We fight for broad white Viennese boulevards! We fight to preserve the freedom granted to us by our limited suffrage! We fight for the Kaiser! And we cannot fight empty handed!

I ask you, gentlemen, to reconsider your decision and to give those Krönen back to the Navy. You may not want to spend the funds on the Navy now, but there will come a time when you will wish you had. But then it will be late. Spend money now and go to sleep with a clear conscience. Or take from the naval budget and know that you have undermined the very foundations this Monarchy stands on.

I have just one more question for you, gentlemen: "Would Tegetthoff come back victorious from Lissa had he been given but wooden washtubs?" Hardly. All I ask is: don't force us to sail in washtubs. Take from the poor and build the mightiest fleet there ever was!"

The politicians looked at Mansfeld in silence. Then the whole crowd started cheering. "Glory to the Kriegsmarine," they shouted. "Long live the Kaiser," they shouted. "Screw the poor," they shouted. The Navy was saved this time. However, foreign press took note of this extraordinary meeting and soon Austro-Hungarian embassies all around the world were bombarded with letters explaining concerns about the sudden warmongering in the social democratic government. But the politicians slept calmly, knowing they made the right choice.

With the budget saved, Mansfeld boarded a special train dispatched by the military from Vienna Nordbahnhof and departed for his new home at admiralty in Pula. Once there, he invited all the officers he spoke to in the previous months to hold a debate that would shape the Kaiserliche Kriegsmarine for years to come. He presented them with four concepts that he worked on without a pause ever since he arrived to Pula. These were:

1) Battleship focused fleet

Battleship fleet aims to maintain powerful battleline made out of battleships (obviously). It uses destroyers and light cruisers to screen the battleships and neglects heavy cruisers as their role would more or less overlap with battleships. It can accumulate quite a lot of Victory points as it should dominate most of the battle types except for Destroyer skirmishes and Cruiser battles. Battleship fleet aims for a decisive battle where it can win the war in one mighty blow. The same of course goes in reverse - a disaster at sea is much more difficult to overcome than with a fleet that uses more indirect approaches. The most obvious downside is, of course, that battleships are expensive to build and also expensive to maintain. Given the Austro-Hungarian position, all ships will be built in short range + cramped accommodations versions to improve their combat capabilities. This approach requires steady investment in enlarging the docks to be allowed to build ships of larger displacements.

Research will be focused on armour (reduces weight of armour) and machinery (reduces weight of engines) to make the battleships better performing, naval guns (either allows new calibers or improves quality of already-developped guns) to allow mounting larger weapons, turrets and gun mountings (allows more guns per turret, allows installing larger secondaries and also improves rate of fire) and ship design (allows better turret design in allowing cross-fire capability, superimposed turrets (a turret can fire over the turret in front of it) but a lot of these upgrades can happen to only affect cruisers and thus are potentially wasted).

Torpedo technology (improves the range, speed and damage of torpedoes), light forces and torpedo warfare (improves destroyers and light cruisers), submarines (improves submarines, duh), fleet tactics (improves cooperation between different types of ships and can allow mine laying etc.) and ASW technology will be neglected.

2) Balanced fleet

Balanced fleet aims to maintain a delicate balance between the ship types, which means that it has both heavy cruisers and battleships, as well as light cruisers and destroyers for screening. To have a clearly defined role for heavy cruisers, those will be built with long range and normal accommodation to enable them to act as surface raiders (others in the typical Mediterranean fashion of short range + cramped accommodations). The main strength of this type of navy lies again with the battleships. The advantage of this approach is that should a research breakthrough appear in any area, the fleet can exploit it and accommodate ships of that type without the need to redefine its philosophy and being lighter on budget since there is not that much battleships. Since the fleet still rests on battleships, some investments in dry docks are needed.

Research will be focused on machinery (reduces weight of engines), turrets and gun mountings (allows more guns per turret, allows installing larger secondaries and also improves rate of fire), ship design (allows better turret design in allowing cross-fire capability, superimposed turrets (a turret can fire over the turret in front of it) but a lot of these upgrades can happen to only affect cruisers and thus are potentially wasted), light forces and torpedo warfare and fire control (more accuracy).

Torpedo technology, submarines, armour, subdivision and damage control (less flooding, better anti-torpedo protection) and ASW will be neglected.

3) Small ships focused fleet

The fleet that does not use battleships but instead relies on lighter forces, that is destroyers and light and heavy cruisers. Obviously, the advantage is much faster construction, cheaper ships (although very good heavy cruiser can be nearly as expensive as a battleship) and being able to pick fights due to higher speeds of lighter vessels. The disadvantage is that such a fleet will be outgunned and outranged in any engagement that involves large ships. It is possible to swarm a battleship line with torpedos from destroyers, but such an attack can (and does) very easily turn into bloodbath for the smaller vessels as a torpedo attack against larger ships is generally an all-or-nothing scenario. Also it should be noted that early torpedoes are generally not very menacing weapons and are meant more as a way to finish a crippled ship than a regular weapon. This of course changes with time. Such a fleet can easily replace losses and does not require heavy investment in dry docks. Due to lighter budget, it should be possible to afford additional sums to practice training in night fighting (better performance at night) and torpedo warfare (better use of torpedoes by the crews). Some submarines may complement the fleet.

Research will be focused on light forces and torpedo warfare, torpedoes (A-H has national bonus in developing those), machinery, fleet tactics and fire control

Naval guns, armour, subdivison and damage control, ASW and hull construction will be neglected

4) Indirect approach

A fleet that does not want to fight. It should maintain a large squadrons of surface raiders (potentially building battlecruisers, ie. big fast ships with big guns but bad armour) and a large submarine fleet to disrupt enemy trade lines. The rest of the fleet is rather similar to small ships focused fleet. The advantage is having faster ships and not having to fight a superior foe directly. Obvious disadvantage is that surface raiders are very easy to lose and early submarines are very (VERY) unreliable in that they more often sink due to mechanical failures than the actions of the enemy. Other problem is that due to insufficient presence, it is rather easy for the enemy to perform a blockade.

Research will be focused on submarines, fire control, naval guns, machinery and ship design.

Armour, hull, subdivision and damage control, fleet tactics and ASW will be neglected.

file.php

Academy building where the meeting was held​

The meeting lasted for several days but in the end, all these good men in the service of their good Emperor decided that the only way to transform the K.u.K. Kriegsmarine into the best fighting force on the globe is... (to be decided)

So, yes, cast your votes. I hope there will be more than 1 vote in the end  :razz: Also, if something is not unclear about how the game works, feel free to ask.

We need more firepower Admiral, super interesting game you got yourself!

I actually took a gander at the game now and it seems pretty interesting after watching someone actually play it a bit. The biggest thumbs up from me.

Part 3 - the Fleet in the making - Origins (October 1900 - November 1901)

"Victory through superior firepower," read a headline of Wiener Zeitung above an article about leaked results of the conceptual meeting of the K.u.K. Kriegsmarine. It was stated that the Admiralty agreed that in this age and with ever-increasing firepower of naval weaponry, what is needed is large, heavily armored and above all, heavily armed vessels. Battleships indubitably are queens of the seas, the article stated.

Indeed, the high command decided that the future of the navy lies in large behemoths; each carrying more firepower than a squadron of cruisers. The principal trouble with the current situation of the Navy however was a lack of funds and small dockyards that prevented construction of ships over 12000 tons in displacement. Therefore, the S.T.T. shipyard received the first batch of money from Vienna to enlarge its docks to allow the Monarchy to build beasts of previously-unheard of displacements.

GziA0.jpg

Admiral Mansfeld looked through the window of his office to the ships docked at Pula harbor. Two Kaiser-class battleships, with 10000 tons displacement each, were a good start, but this fleet was in need of a flagship. However, Austrian shipyards at that moment were only able to build a ship up to 12000 tons and Mansfeld felt that something a little mightier was needed.

With tensions low and with the Monarchy having good relations with Great Britain, it was decided that a new battleship contract will be awarded to Portsmouth Royal Dockyard as they could launch a ship with a displacement of up to 17000 tons and such a ship also could be equipped with British 12 inch guns. This would give the battleship an edge over a domestically constructed one as Austrian gunsmiths still did not possess required expertise and the largest domestically produced gun was 11 inch naval cannon from Škodawerke Pilsen.

With the plan approved by Vienna, Portsmouth shipyards were given specifications for the new ship which was to bear the name of Archduke Charles, the victor of Aspern-Essling. The designers created adequately armored, relatively fast ship with incredibly massive second batteries. However, to save the weight, the ship was designed with short range, cramped accommodations and low freeboard, hampering its performance on long cruises and in heavy weather. However, a coastal battleship was exactly what the Monarchy needed.

Bfoe8.jpg

INGbr.jpg

Alas, the cost of Erzherzog Karl-class battleship ended up being so immense that it was possible to finance only one such a ship with a second built only after the first one is launched.

In October, a spy from Britain was caught but in order to preserve good relations and ensure smooth construction of Erzherzog Karl, the foreign minister decided to keep the affair confidential.
Y23DR.jpg

In December, France has sent a large squadron towards Sumatra with a large contingent of marines on board. Britain and Austria quickly assessed that such a move is only a pretext for an invasion that would put Sumatra under the French rule and thus pushed for an international force to crush the Sumatrian revolt instead of a purely French one. Upon seeing British heavy cruisers Niobe and Andromeda supported by a destroyer squadron together with Austrian light cruisers Zenta, Aspern and Saida, the French reluctantly recalled their expedition and instead assigned heavy cruiser Gueydon to assist the international taskforce.

JQ4Dy.jpg
pReL9.jpg

Following months are rather uneventful as the construction of Erzherzog Karl continues. Several scientific breakthroughs are made and the cooperation with Britain expands further as Britain agreed to sell Austria patents for their new surface condensers.

lmieB.jpg
M7qKG.jpg
h68Uk.jpg

With Erzherzog Karl construction continuing, the Navy decided to solve the question of suitable screens for the new ship. While the destroyers in service were not by any means bad, there was too few of them. It was therefore decided that a new batch of destroyers should be built. However, with resources stretched thin, corners had to be cut as the most prized characteristic of new destroyer class had to be cheapness. New contract was therefore specified as requiring the displacement to be not more than 400 tons, effectively meaning that their armament is limited to a pair of 3 inch guns and a pair of torpedo tubes. Thus, the Luchs-class was born - lightly armed, averagely fast but dirt cheap destroyers. Until the Vienna finds more money for the navy, these will have to do.

EdoPK.jpg

2GEWv.jpg
Six of these destroyers (Luchs, Drache, Streiter, Csikos, Turul, Scharfschütze) were ordered immediately.

Congratulations with commissioning our new capital ships Herr Commandant. Their firepower should serve us well against the Roman dogs. You're only a victory away from the funding we need.

It has so far only been laid down and the construction is still ongoing. It will be launched to sea +- in May 1902 and finally ready for duty in August 1902.

Also, just for reference and to put things into perspective: the cost of an Erzherzog Karl battleship is 60.800.000. The cost of a cheap Luchs class destroyer is 1.390.000. Zenta light cruiser costs 16.000.000 and Kaiserin und Königin Maria Theresia heavy cruiser costs 24.000.000.

Part 4 - Fleet in making - the flagship launched (December 1901 - April 1903)

"Herr Admiral!" a lieutenant rushed in. "We have caught a man in the dockyards. He was sitting on top of scaffolding and was drawing the destroyers in construction with a pencil. We questioned him and checked with shipyard workers register and we are sure he is not one of the local men."
"Is it possible to tell anything from the sketches he made?" asked Admiral Mansfeld.
"Um, no, not really. Displacement, maybe. But even if he was more talented, it would be hard to produce anything useful given how early in the production our destroyers are."
"I see," replied Mansfeld. He started to see this as an opportunity. If this spy turned out to be an extremely dangerous one, he could use him as a lever to have Vienna and Budapest pour more money into the navy. Since the spy was apparently Italian, this could also worsen the relation between the two countries and shut the mouths of social democrats in parliament who want to reduce military spending. "Draw up some general sketches of Erzherzog Karl and add some notes to make it look like he was looking for the ship here. Sew these documents into his jacket and turn him to the counterintelligence. They will figure out the rest.
"Jawohl, Herr Admiral."

PCrRN.jpg

And as Mansfeld foresaw, the press unleashed hell upon Italy. Even better, the Reichsrat and the Hungarian Diet approved additional funding. Mansfeld would not mind a couple more of these spies. Very useful, this one.

s83w8.jpg
85q1c.jpg
Moving bilge plate into position; very early in the construction of Erzherzog Karl's hull​
Finishing touches on one of auxiliary propellers of Erzherzog Karl​

A couple weeks later, a letter came from Schiffsdesignforschungsgruppe Nr. 1 in Trieste. Ship designers led by Siegfried Popper managed to design a workable system for distributing heavy artillery shells throughout the ships. Previously, this prevented large guns to be mounted in casemates as unlike heavy centerline turrets, it was thought impossible to provide each casemate gun with its own munition elevator. With this solved, future designs can mount guns of any caliber in casemates or single turrets, provided that these guns are smaller than those mounted in centerline main turrets.

4Ueyj.jpg

This meant that any future ship would probably carry more armament in casemates than in centerline turrets as Austrian engineers still did not find a way to place more than two turrets on a ship. Maybe this really is a way for future warships - returning back to 18th century ships with heavy broadside. For the time being, this way has to be considered. However, somewhere far away from the drawing boards of ship design bureaus, something far gloomier happened...

Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas!!!

You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!

D8I8r.jpg

I will not comment on this any further...

Even though the construction of Erzherzog Karl is still going on, our scientists developped a new way of protecting our ships - double bottom. Luckily, since it is a gradual improvement, our ships will be retrofitted with it automatically. Also, in the meantime, the first batch of Luchs-class destroyers was launched, immediately followed by Admiralty ordering another 7 of those destroyers ordered.

5pnU8.jpg

906Rm.jpg

And since our top spy ("My dear girl, don't flatter yourself. What I did this evening was für Kaiser und Vaterland. You don't think it gave me any pleasure, do you?") managed to get hold of Italian developments in destroyers that helped our engineers to finally understand the concept of larger destroyers, maybe the next batch of destroyers would be focused on battle-worthy ships instead of the cheap placeholders our docks keep building at the moment.

yMDtv.jpg

In August 1920, German squadron led by heavy cruiser SMS Victoria Louise anchored at Pula on a ceremonial visit. Admiral Mansfeld greeted the German commander by the dinner and the two men had discussed many important issues concerning their countries, their navies and their lives. German officer complimented served Kaiserschmarrn and stated that it is definitely better than the neverending Sauerkraut with Bratwurst they get in the German Imperial Navy. After the visit was concluded, a reporter approached Mansfeld to have him comment the vessels of the Germans, apparently seeking sensations, but Mansfeld just repeated all the nice words he told the German officers. Because it indeed was a pleasant visit.

aYJ0g.jpg

New docks were completed. Now, their capacity is 19000 tons.
_nBaV.jpg

A war erupted in the Balkans between Greece and the Ottoman Empire. Luckily, Škodawerke Pilsen managed to strike a deal with both. If both have our magnificent guns, one must accept that it is more fair than if we only supplied one side. It might make Austria seem a little too warmongery in the eyes of other superpowers, but the Austrian navy needs all the funds we can get our hands on.

coZF3.jpg

Even more successes from our scientists. That being said, according to our spies, we are still behind pretty much everyone as far as technology is concerned.

hXvXG.jpg

And finally, in August 1903, Erzherzog Karl is finished and launched in the Portsmouth shipyards. After inspecting the ship after it has been sailed through Gibraltar into the Mediterranean and to our home base in Pula, Austrian shipmakers were left speechless by the precision of British craftsmanship. Careful research about the technology used in the ship has taught us many useful lessons in ship technology.

1fAYB.jpg

Austria has a flagship now. What it needs at the moment, is a fleet...

I wanted to do the next chapter yesterday (I have the screens and it will be longest chapter so far), but have not managed to do it. Now I am leaving for a week in *drums* the Adriatic so it won't be sooner than on 25th. Yeah, it is not dead. I just have to do some seamanship myself  :razz:

Back
Top Bottom