America: The Story of Us

Users who are viewing this thread

I've been pretty disappointed in a lot of History Channel stuff.

some of it makes Raiders of the Lost Ark look like serious archaeology  :sad:

agreed. Pawn Stars? Ice Road Truckers? UFO/Alien/Monster crap... I miss the Sunday night two hour specials about a point in history. What happened to medieval and ancient history?

I enjoyed the ancient astronaut stuff as well :smile:
but I could see huge holes in both sides of the argument.

the "experts" they had for both sides sounded like nutters half the time.

I don't have a problem with the hypothesis that we were visited 3 or 4 thousand years ago, it's possible and does explain a lot of things from different sources.

Pawn Stars is the only show on the history channel with any history in it anymore. And I must admit, I quite enjoy that show.

The "America" show makes for a good drinking game, at least int he first two episodes. Every time they show the bottom of a boat take a shot. Every time they say something along the lines of "changed the tide of the war" also take a shot. You will be dead by the end of the show.

Why the heck is 'Ice Road Truckers' on the History Channel? It's not as if there isn't an endless list of obscure channels that it could be aired on; channels which aren't supposed to be devoted solely to history programmes. I would have assumed that the History Channel showed nothing but history.

I've only seen the first part, from Jamestown to Yorktown.  It was better than I expected, but still the usual dumbed-down pop history that they always turn out.  I was especially galled that they completely skipped over the Constitutional Convention of 1787 - THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT EVENT IN U.S. HISTORY.

There's a review of it here that's right on the money.

Back
Top Bottom