AMD freezes on installation [SOLVED!]

Users who are viewing this thread

Since I had installed Windows 10 on my machine (again), it looks like I cannot get the AMD drivers updated anymore. Whenever I try to install the latest version of the driver, the whole system freezes and I'm forced to restart manually (it looks like the problem lies in the amdkpg(or something alike) file). The only AMD driver I have installed now comes from Windows updates, but that's an old one. I have to note that it worked fine on Windows 8.1, but I still want to remain on 10, since it feels more stable now, and also runs faster.

On a side note, my machine is a laptop.
Can anyone give me some ideas on how I can get past the freeze?

Edit:
Check here for the solution: https://community.amd.com/thread/212343

I don't know the exact specifics of your computer obviously, but just off the top of my head, I would try something like this.

1) Make sure you have the correct driver package from the AMD website.

2) Turn off Windows driver updates
pkozq.png

3) Remove your AMD driver via device manager
HBaTF.png
pTlGy.png

4) Restart
5) Try installing the driver again

After you remove your AMD driver, Windows should default to a very basic VGA driver. So if you are still unable to install the AMD driver you'll be stuck with the Windows default, but if this happens you should be able to turn back on Windows driver updates to get that old version back.

If your machine freezes on a basic driver installation then the operating system is not stable. Literally the sole job of an operating system is to manage communication between hardware, and it's failing to do that.

Thanks for the help. I will still try Havoc's solution, and see whether it goes anywhere.

In regards to the OS issue, yes, I guess that's Windows behind the problem, and I'd hate to roll back due to Microsoft or AMD not being able to fix their problems.

Finally, after four painful months, I have found a solution!
I cannot even describe how happy and annoyed I am all at the same time.
Essentially, check the solution provided by this guy here, if you experience the same issue with AMD: https://community.amd.com/thread/212343

It kind of resembles some of the ideas suggested by Havoc, but the steps also include a clean uninstall of the Intel drivers too, plus temporarily disabling some services and Widnows Defender altogether.

I will paste the solution in this spoiler, just in case the link becomes invalid:
Solved:
Finally, after  months of maddening struggle, i managed to solve the problem... here is what i did...
1: Boot into Safe Mood and remove the drivers with DDU ( Both Intel and AMD ), Official Display Driver Uninstaller DDU Download ..
2: restart the PC
3: download the drivers from your manufacturer's site. for windows 8.1. ( yes they work ), for me it was the acer site.
4: install the AMD driver you've downloaded from manufacturer's site Product support ( this is for my laptop), you need to download from your own laptop manufacturer's site...
5: restart the PC
6: install the latest AMD drivers Mobile ( This is also for my laptop model ), you can search yours at Download Drivers ..
7: restart the PC
8: install the intel driver which i've downloaded from acer site.
9: restart the PC
10: finally update the intel drivers with Intel® Driver Update Utility .

the drivers will start to work after step 7 but the CCC will work only after step 9....  i hope this will help the other poor souls that got into this trouble...
"Important" :- you will need to disable the following services for that... Windows update, BITS , Superfetch and also windows defender from group policy, to avoid trouble with the installation...

- by bba24 [AMD Community].

Back
Top Bottom