Ambushes at night

Users who are viewing this thread

AvaRice

Sergeant Knight at Arms
I'm not sure if this can be done, but in order to simulate the dangers of camping out in the wilderness as opposed to paying the 10 denars or so for a tavern room, how about having there be a chance that you will be attacked by an enemy party whenever you camp (especially at nighttime). When attacked your character would be spawned on the battlefield with nothing but a dagger (assuming that your character is not a paranoid freak who keeps an axe under his bed). Your men would also be spawned, some equipped (representing the sentries), and some not equipped. The equipment chest with all your stuff in it would be located some distance away from your spawning point, but preferably the enemy would start only a few meters away from your spawning point. This would create a situation where you would either have to choose to fight with only your dagger or avoid the enemy while you scurry off to the equipment chest.

Hopefully, this addition would give the ambushers a major advantage and cause the player significant casualties, therefore dissuading players from frequently camping out anywhere on Calradia.

An extension of this idea would be having a slider which could set the amount of men you want to put on sentry. This would reduce the likelihood of being ambushed and also increase the amount of troops equipped when spawned, but this advantage would come at the sacrifice of party morale as soldiers would suffer from reduced sleep.

The Impoverished Tavernkeepers of Calradia endorse this idea

I like. I also think that camping should be damn near
a necessity. Like, BIG moral loss, if you go without
sleep. And, NPC parties should sleep too - and
be able to be ambushed.

Was going to post a thread with THOSE ideas,
but didn't feel like searching to see if they
had their own, or were just mentioned
in passing, like here.  :razz:

calandale said:
be able to be ambushed.

Was going to post a thread with THOSE ideas,
but didn't feel like searching to see if they
had their own, or were just mentioned
in passing, like here.  :razz:

I was just about to say something similar.
As it is now, all ambushes would do is give yet another reason NOT to do something that you already don't need.

I never camp to heal wounds or rest, or save money. I did it once when I first started playing, just to see what it did. Now I don't have to do it ever because of the new report button on the world map... unless for some weird reason I wanted to pass time without holding the space bar.

In a way there are ambushes; if you're not careful when resting a more powrful party might attack you.

But I see what you are proposing and it would be nice to have proper ambushes.

After reading it twice, I concur, you seem to have covered all the bases here and I like your idea. However, it could easily spell doom for moderately experienced players.
I seriously doubt anyone would face the enemy with nothing but a knife, so to decrease the possibility of everyone scurrying off for the equipment chest, maybe you would wake up with one of your normal hand-weapons at your side? I would even approve that the player (like the regular troops) has the time to put on random armour before the fight ensues, like in one fight gloves and boots, in another fight say just the helmet, completely random.

I'm not trying to mess with your idea here, just picturing what would realistically happen if and when the player's camp was ambushed  :smile:

Zathan

Actually, now that I think of it... you definitely want to have as much equipment on you or nearby as possible when camping in hostile territory, and everywhere in the game is hostile territory. I'd kill my own men for being morons if during an attack they came out with anything less than full clothing, boots, and a sword in their hands, bare minimum. Leaving your weapons out of reach is like ASKING for someone to come and slaughter you.

AvaRice said:
I'm not sure if this can be done, but in order to simulate the dangers of camping out in the wilderness as opposed to paying the 10 denars or so for a tavern room, how about having there be a chance that you will be attacked by an enemy party whenever you camp (especially at nighttime). When attacked your character would be spawned on the battlefield with nothing but a dagger (assuming that your character is not a paranoid freak who keeps an axe under his bed). Your men would also be spawned, some equipped (representing the sentries), and some not equipped. The equipment chest with all your stuff in it would be located some distance away from your spawning point, but preferably the enemy would start only a few meters away from your spawning point. This would create a situation where you would either have to choose to fight with only your dagger or avoid the enemy while you scurry off to the equipment chest.

Hopefully, this addition would give the ambushers a major advantage and cause the player significant casualties, therefore dissuading players from frequently camping out anywhere on Calradia.

An extension of this idea would be having a slider which could set the amount of men you want to put on sentry. This would reduce the likelihood of being ambushed and also increase the amount of troops equipped when spawned, but this advantage would come at the sacrifice of party morale as soldiers would suffer from reduced sleep.

I like the Idea but I have a few points to add:
I would like to see enemy partys camp sometimes so I can ambush them!!
Having more men on sentry duty not only effects morale but the speed at which your army recovers health, as keeping people awake isnt going to help them if theyre injured.
If enemy partys camp you cant tell how many sentries are on duty until you attack them, making it sufficiently risky to attack large armies.
Horses should be in a pen with a gate near equipment so you can mount if you get there.
Having lots of sentries would mean that enemies start slightly further away as they are spotted sooner.

Thanks, strat

calandale said:
You can sleep in armor.
You can, but its damned uncomfortable.  Doing so should halve (at least) any gain in stamina and morale that sleeping would give. 

I have no problems with weapons and shields being available, but only the sentries should have anything relating to armor on.  Plate is right out, while you might be able to slip on a chain shirt, again depending on how alert your sentries are.

Simply put, if you don't want to be ambushed at night, sleep in taverns.  I'm a fan of the idea.

AvaRice said:

Good idea !

I agree with your idea, but I think increasing tavern costs would benefit this feature greatly, forcing players to sleep outside more often.

I always camp during the night because my party moves much slower, but I doubt many people do it.

Allowing enemy parties to be ambushed would be great.

I really like this idea. I often just camp when I have a large force, but when I have less than 10 men I go to a tavern. Maybe with ambushes players will hide in taverns more  :lol:

I like this idea, though it would possibly dissuade people from camping and you could have nothing but attacking AI parties who are camping as well.

Warger said:
I like this idea, though it would possibly dissuade people from camping and you could have nothing but attacking AI parties who are camping as well.

I was already secretly planning it...  :sad:

Well not that I *really* know how war parties behaved back then, but I could easily imagine soldiers sleeping next to their equipment, for easy pickup and in case of armors, at least a chance to throw something on before rushing into battle.

I think most of players of M&B uses rather smallish battle sizes (say 70 or so..), so I could imagine that some of the combatants would have rather long to get dressed... So while the lookout keeps the enemy occupied, people would calmly put some clothes on, and get in line for fights.. Then reinforcing those in fights starting from those who get ready faster (So while ambushing enemies, those knights would be last in line, thus you could kill loads of poorly armored troops in fast pace, then leaving rest to collect themselves. )

Oookay so how could any of this implemented without major rehaul of the core? Without facts I'd guess that "putting troops into field in different order" would be easier to implement, rather than making them partly dressed.. And how about fights where there aren't enough time to get ready.. On that one I have no answers..  Maybe a simple calculation "how many died during raid", so that player would only see the fact put on paper..

Besides, what would stop you to keep a keen eye out ingame, and break the camp in first sight of enemy nearby? I mean currently when camp breaks, and people get dressed, in an instant.. Then again we could allways put those "Camp until <insert time of day here>" options back.. Maybe "Camp <time>" with it. So first one would be time for soldiers to sleep, later is to relax a little maybe some naps inside their comfy armors.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

calandale said:
be able to be ambushed.

Yeah, for this to work morale would definitely have to be affected by lack of sleep and it would be nice if NPC parties could be ambushed as well. I can just see some characters becoming nocturnal beings for this advantage.

stratusfear said:
I like the Idea but I have a few points to add:
I would like to see enemy partys camp sometimes so I can ambush them!!
Having more men on sentry duty not only effects morale but the speed at which your army recovers health, as keeping people awake isnt going to help them if theyre injured.
If enemy partys camp you cant tell how many sentries are on duty until you attack them, making it sufficiently risky to attack large armies.
Horses should be in a pen with a gate near equipment so you can mount if you get there.
Having lots of sentries would mean that enemies start slightly further away as they are spotted sooner.

Thanks, strat

I agree with your additions. Hopefully your character would actually be spawned in a camp setting with tents, campfires, etc. Also if stealth could be implemented perhaps you could try to eliminate some of the sentries. This would allow you to come closer to the enemy before they are alerted and give you an even greater advantage.

Cumandante said:
I agree with your idea, but I think increasing tavern costs would benefit this feature greatly, forcing players to sleep outside more often.

Yeah, it never made much sense to me that you could rent enough rooms for all your troops and horses with anywhere from 10-30 denars.

Athan said:
Oookay so how could any of this implemented without major rehaul of the core? Without facts I'd guess that "putting troops into field in different order" would be easier to implement, rather than making them partly dressed.. And how about fights where there aren't enough time to get ready.. On that one I have no answers..  Maybe a simple calculation "how many died during raid", so that player would only see the fact put on paper..

Besides, what would stop you to keep a keen eye out ingame, and break the camp in first sight of enemy nearby? I mean currently when camp breaks, and people get dressed, in an instant.. Then again we could allways put those "Camp until <insert time of day here>" options back.. Maybe "Camp <time>" with it. So first one would be time for soldiers to sleep, later is to relax a little maybe some naps inside their comfy armors.

The player and his troops would be spawned in a camp setting, sort of like how it works with fiefs. The enemy would spawn about 10 meters away from the player, who would be equipped with minimal armor and weaponry. I originally thought that the player would be the only one who could choose to go to the equipment chest since I imagine that getting the ill-equipped soldiers to recognize the situation would involve a lot of complex coding. So the poor fellows who aren't sentries would have to fight with what they have. It would be nice if there was a mad scurry to the equipment chest but I think that it would be implemented later if at all.

Well, since the enemy party would be trying to ambush you I imagine that they would be stealthy enough that they wouldn't appear on the world map.

Back
Top Bottom