Native OSP Sounds Ambient Soundtrack [v. 1.1 released 11-16-2010]

Users who are viewing this thread

Did you by any chance include the module system file with the mod, I'd love to include this in my mod if that's OK, thanks!

Great mod, Adorno. I like this version way more than your other one with tunes included.

BTW, if anybody wants to install this mod in Warband follow the steps below after you've installed it following the instructions in the readme.txt file. This miniguide also assumes that you install this in a mod folder, not the root.

1. Copy the "wedding.ogg" file from the "music" folder (the one located in the root directory of Warband) to the mod's "music" one
2. Open the music.txt file of the mod and add this line at the end:
Code:
wedding.ogg 256 256
3. In the same txt file change the number at the beginning from 63 to 64.

That should do it. I merged it successfully with a Diplomacy+Polished Landscapes installation this way.

If you plan to install it on the root folder just skip step 1.

That said, could you maybe upload a Warband version of this mod? Even if the tweaks needed to make it work are so minimal I think having a prepackaged version would allow more people to discover it and encourage them to try it. I honestly think this mod deserves it.

Thank you for the installation tip kenoxide.

I have been planning to update this, and the anti-soundtrack, for quite a while,
but have had more fun with other stuff. I should get it done.  :oops:
I will at least update first post with your installation tip...
EDIT: and you're credited  :smile:

Now that you seem to plan to update this, and that you'll probably edit some stuff, can I make a couple suggestions? (and bump this on the process?)

- I'm not sure about all that chirping while in battle. Wouldn't the birds be scared of all the noise going around? I myself don't know the answer to that question but my impression is that they would. And you have all those fiction works (movies, novels, etc) where the hero is able to spot the location of an enemy army by watching how a bunch of scared crows start to fly away from a given spot in the forest. Based on reality? No idea. In any case, maybe lowering the chirping volume a bit so they feel a bit more far away would be better.

- You have at least one heartbeat sound in the siege track, but it's barely noticeable. I'm guessing that what you hear is actually your own heartbeat (unless this mod assumes the player's character has superhearing abilities), so boosting it so it's clearly audible over the rest of sounds would be more appropriate. Right now is a very nice touch but a bit wasted.

Those are some good ideas.
The reason the heartbeat sound is not so prominent is that people asked for a 'clean' ambient soundtrack without music or other soundeffects. But I kind of liked that little 'touch'.
The reason it's not so loud is you're supposed to hear it when battle calmes 'down'. You don't notice your heartbeat in the heat of battle.

Another hint I just recalled about chirping in battles. In Generation Kill there's a moment where the journalist asks why they haven't checked a bunch of bushes and trees near their sniping position. They didn't because the birds were chirping there, hence there wasn't anyone hiding in that spot.

And I think the final reason to lower the chirping volume is that it'll fit better in more scenes, particularly those with low amount of trees. You can still hear them, but they're far away (maybe also adding some reverb?)

Finally, if you're willing to edit that, would you mind to also include some vulture sounds? If there's one bird that would be prominent in a battle (big ones, at least) it'd be that. And vultures are/were very common practically everywhere.

Adorno said:
The reason the heartbeat sound is not so prominent is that people asked for a 'clean' ambient soundtrack without music or other soundeffects. But I kind of liked that little 'touch'.
The reason it's not so loud is you're supposed to hear it when battle calmes 'down'. You don't notice your heartbeat in the heat of battle.

OK. I still think its volume should be a bit boosted. But it's obviously up to you.

A new version is up - 1.1

Download
              Mirror

- most tracks have been remade
- volume increased a little
- removed a few poor quality samples
- battle music is now mostly wind - no birds.
- removed anachronisms (sound of a car somehow escaped my ear  :oops:)

A version for Warband will be up later this week...

NB: a very special thanks to kenoxite for constructive criticism and kicking my lazy ass.

The sound of a car? :???: Could be my headphones, but I've had this for...since you released it for the first time, I believe, and never heard that.

It's too bad you got rid of the birdies, too. That was making the Rhodoks kicking my arse all over the place, a little more...cheerful.

Will still download later, though.

Cheers.

Adorno said:
NB: a very special thanks to kenoxite for constructive criticism and kicking my lazy ass.

Woot!
I can kick your lazy ass all day long if that keeps this awesome mod updated, no problem  :twisted:

TBH, I didn't want to bother you after the latest WB patches due to all the new tracks that were added, meaning probably too much work for you. But, well, it seems you did it anyway. Can't wait for the WB version.

___

EDIT:
Sigh, I hate being the nitpicking guy but...

There was a propeller plane while you were recording (or any other propeller related thing, maybe a windmill generator).

It can be heard in "Bandit Fight", at 0:18 and later at 2:10 for almost the rest of the track.

And in "Ambushed by Rhodok" there's a weird humming noise starting from around 0:25. I'm not sure what that is. Maybe a vehicle, maybe some kind of artifact caused by the wind. Maybe something you introduced yourself to add more texture? Maybe... it's an EVP/psychophony?

THAT SAID...

They are fortunately barely appreciable. This is definitely not another "car passing by" case. Also, being both battle tracks I doubt anybody will ever notice them.

Geren said:
It's too bad you got rid of the birdies, too. That was making the Rhodoks kicking my arse all over the place, a little more...cheerful.

Oh, there's still lots of birds there from what I've heard. Enough to have a quite decent barbacue.
If that's your thing.

kenoxite said:
There was a propeller plane while you were recording (or any other propeller related thing, maybe a windmill generator).

It can be heard in "Bandit Fight", at 0:18 and later at 2:10 for almost the rest of the track.

And in "Ambushed by Rhodok" there's a weird humming noise starting from around 0:25.
You might be right, I took it for wind. Many of my recordings were interrupted by either planes or farming vehicles.
Damned farmers and their noise pollution  :smile:

By the way, I'm working on Warband now and don't know when the track 'coronation' is played.
I'm guessing it's when you become king, but is there a ceremony cut-scene like the wedding or just text?

I'm afraid I can't help you there. I haven't become king in WB since that patch.

My guess is that it must be a cutscene like the wedding one, as you mention. I doubt they'd add a track for only a text screen, and they seem to have (finally) embraced the 'show, don't tell' approach lately.

Hopefully someone else can confirm this. Or you could always ask in the SP subforum.

EDIT: No cutscene, just text screen. Kind of confirmed here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,132820.msg3211599.html#msg3211599
How's that for laziness, TaleWorlds? And there was me, praising your supposedly new "show, dont tell" approach.
Oh, well.

Back
Top Bottom