Am I the only one who doesn't like the huge battles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Adrivan

Sergeant at Arms
I think it looks cool when two armies fight in an epic 1000 vs 1000 battle, but I command such a small part of the army, that bothering to do any strategies is almost always pretty insignificant, so I just delegate command to AI and watch.

Maybe its just me, but I much prefer the smaller, let's say 150 vs 150 battles, where I'm in charge of all the soldiers and I can actually do stuff. I'm rarely excited for the very big fights. Am I the only one?

I love the chaos of big fights!
If you have your own army, you can command everyone.
You can split groups
Flank
Or join in on foot!
In my playthroughs, it is usually the case where i kill less in big fights than in smaller fights because i am busy positioning troops.

but I command such a small part of the army
In this case you become a captain, and can (have to, actually) follow the orders of the commander (IA), which sometimes can turn out challenging!

And as already said, if you do not belong to an army or lead your own army, you command everyone.

For me the main problem remains huge armies/forests. I should put that in my signature btw lol

In general, big battles are alright, but, of course, there are lots of things need to be looked at.

• Enemy reinforcements spawn in the middle of the battlefield, because you pushed the enemy too far, and now your troops are split and cut out. This happened not because you've made a tactical mistake, but because their troops just pop-put of nothing in the middle of the battlefiedl. The best solution I've on the forums is to make them spawn outside the map border and make them travel on foot to into the battle.
  • Not too much tactical behaviour. AI can either mindlessly attack, or stand on the highround, shields around the archers, waiting for my archers to turn them into a hedgehogs.
  • Not being able to order to attack a specific troop type is a big pain (yet AI can do that).
  • Also, would be useful to be informed somehow that your archers are out of ammo.
  • Some maps look like they weren't designed for such troops amount. Hope it'll be fixed with the Battle Terrain System release.

I like big battles, but I wish there could be more than 9 groups. It’s weird to see a gigantic line of AI-controlled infantry maneuver itself into some random cavalry because it’s trying to get parallel to opposing infantry.

mistake, but because their troops just pop-put of nothing in the middle of the battlefiedl. The best solution I've on the forums is to make them spawn outside the map border and make them travel on foot to into the battle.
This should have been an obvious choice by the Devs -why they didnt even try something close to this just shows they dont have a clear vision of the game. Its a very arcade answer for what should have been a somewhat tactical decision

I like both skirmishes and big battles.
But as already mentioned, the reinforcement system needs improvement.
Either create restricted zones for spawn or make them coming from outside would be far more tactical.
Currently it is a simple copy paste from warband... Nothing more, nothing less (except the stash on player side).

This should have been an obvious choice by the Devs -why they didnt even try something close to this just shows they dont have a clear vision of the game. Its a very arcade answer for what should have been a somewhat tactical decision
You need a way to communicate this to Taleworlds, because they are not going to notice this as a problem, as they don't play the game.
It may have served as a lazy shortcut when there were all kinds of high priority issues to fix, but now they need to look at this too. Right @Duh_TaleWorlds?

@Spinozart1
Just a random thought. If you are advertising for a mod on your profile (a good idea btw), maybe write something even more enticing, like "Looking for some fun with roguery, sailor? Come on in and let this mod take care of you."

Last edited:
I don't much like Bannerlord's giant battles either, but it's entirely about the incompetent AI and the total lack of real control over them. It makes battles a gigantic chore.

Big battles would be better all around if they were actually bigger and all troops could be spawned, the way troops spawn (not just the position but the ratios) can just make them super easy and repetitive. Aside from reinforcements, one thing I really dislike about big battles is that you have no control over which troops spawn first, so you might have 100 cataphracts but only three of them will appear at the start of the battle. I think the Order of Battle update will fix this issue, from what I remember seeing. I still usually enjoy them though.

Enemy reinforcements spawn in the middle of the battlefield, because you pushed the enemy too far, and now your troops are split and cut out. This happened not because you've made a tactical mistake, but because their troops just pop-put of nothing in the middle of the battlefiedl. The best solution I've on the forums is to make them spawn outside the map border and make them travel on foot to into the battle.
Seriously though, why does this not already happen? They just pop into existence on the battlefield and it's so frustrating and broken.

They really need to spawn outside the map and walk into it, and let us see it happen. Total War Warhammer does it that way and it works fine.

I expect larger battles to be more realistic - ie fight in phases - (1) skirmishers / archers fire, (2) Hastati releasing a hail of pila then charge, (3) Princeps advance as Hastati retire, (4) Princeps rinse and repeat, (5) Then Triarii ... while on the wings cavalry fight..

In bannerlord, the larger the battle, the less realistic.

If you think that the generals of late antiquity and the Middle Ages had the same overview and management tools as in the Total War series of games, it is not surprising that you will suffer chagrin and difficulties.

If you think that the generals of late antiquity and the Middle Ages had the same overview and management tools as in the Total War series of games, it is not surprising that you will suffer chagrin and difficulties.
It's because you're a noob,dude

Currently like they are in vanilla? nope, big or small battles are just mosh pits with toilet paper for armor and lightsabers for weapons.

With mods? it's amazing, i use RBM and absolutely fell in love with battles again, they are fun and last longer which gives you plenty of times for maneuvering.

Just today i fought an epic battle between Vlandia and W. Empire where my infantry shieldwall held the imperials for a long time until we could defeat their cavalry, then my ranged troops flanked them from one side while a small detachment of billmen flanked from the other in wedge formation to cut their infantry bogged down trying to break my shieldwall while my surviving cavalry attacked their ranged troops so they wouldn't be able to wreak my two-handers flanking.

Result was a slaughter of imperial troops and their total routing from the field of battle that gave enough war-exhaustion for the war to end very favorably in Vlandian terms (diplomacy mod).

Depends on how dumb the AI I'm allied with decides to be, really.

Charge into enemy and then end up outnumbered by reinforcement spawns = Not fun.

Camp in a circle in some weird spot away from their own reinforcements and get picked off = Not fun.

Amusingly, the best case scenario in many cases would be if they did not move or reposition their troops from starting lines lol.

I expect larger battles to be more realistic - ie fight in phases - (1) skirmishers / archers fire, (2) Hastati releasing a hail of pila then charge, (3) Princeps advance as Hastati retire, (4) Princeps rinse and repeat, (5) Then Triarii ... while on the wings cavalry fight..

In bannerlord, the larger the battle, the less realistic.

Not disagreeing with you but where in any 1st person style game have you seen this done better outside of this series?

Back
Top Bottom