Am I the only one that likes the smithing aspect of the game?

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm pretty sure everyone likes the idea of it, but it's just meh.

Do blacksmiths just not exist in the world? I'd rather just go to a smithy, and pay to create a weapon without the bull**** of resources, smelting, stamina etc.

Plenty of things you do in the game other than battles are no closer to being a lord or a king. Hey king, could you deliver these cows to town for me please? If I buy these grapes, I can sell them for 10 denar profit each 3 days ride away.

It's another mechanism, another skill branch. There's no reason to use it if not interested, any more than someone needs to grind looters single handedly to level up their combat skills if they're not interested.

What i mean is that it doesn't match the pacing or scale of any other part of the game. No other mechanic feeds into smithing. Even board games are kind of feasibly attached to building relationships with lords (even though as far as I know they don't do anything right now). Even the quests feed into the general narrative and mechanical path of advancing your political standing.

But when you're smithing it's like someone has ripped a piece out of another game and pasted it into mount and blade. You have this weird amalgam of stamina, charcoal and weapon spamming that doesn't exist anywhere else in the game. The only thing it does is generate money, and there isn't a feasible way it could be made to tie into the other game mechanics. It's the equivalent to adding a cooking mechanic to total war.

So no, I don't like the idea of it. I think it's always going to be out of place unless they make bannerlord into a smaller scale RPG and give you a lot more things to do at that scale.

I see a lot of people raging about how it's too overpowered and unbalanced, and some even say to put an npc do it or get rid of the mechanic entirely, but tbh i agree with the overpowered thing cuz with iron hardwood and steel you get a 100k javelin...
Still, i remeber the first time i saw the enter smithy option and it just blew my mind how many cool stuf you can make. Yes it's hard to get parts, yes it's kind of grinding, yes it eats up a lot of time, and yes i agree with those, but jeez it's beautifull. I mean.. all the options to make a cool sword, to name it , to make it strong, or even the need for more and more weapons from others to smelt and then use the metal for new things... I just love it.
Instead of damn scraping this why not add something new, maybe some more decorative parts for axes and stuff cuz there are few parts there.
And why rage for the hard way to get parts when you have specifically perks tol learn new parts. The smithy is meant to use with many companions, not only by yourself.
I really hope they just polish the smithing part and not completely remake the whole thing, it would just be a giant shame to lose all those great unique designs for weapons..

I love it, one of my favorite aspects of the game. It is a big part of my game for each play through.

I really like the idea and I am really excited to see what modders do with it. To what feels like everything else in the game it is missing an extra incentive to it. There really needs to be blacksmiths you can order from but also to learn from. Buying time to learn new parts, and they really need to add the ability to make something not found in any market. Something you can only get from you forging it or paying your gobs of money for. Like a special quest once you create your first masterwork item were you can then earn the ability to make designs not found in game with items really rare like meteoric ore.
They could even tie it to the blacksmith workshop level. Such as you can only make really good steel or weapons using a level 5 workshop and earn the title of a lordly blacksmith and be able to level up to a tier 6 or lordly workshop. This could stop the early game flood of expensive items because you need to find and get access to a certain level of workshop or workshops.
Just some ideas about what they could do with it.

You have this weird amalgam of stamina, charcoal and weapon spamming that doesn't exist anywhere else in the game.
It definitely does in my play style. Each time I am on the battlefield I use my crafted weapons. I love them. Without these custom weapons I wouldn't probably play the game anymore, 'cause its boring...

But to answer the OPs question - you are definitely not alone! I love the smithing too. Especially when the same battles are repeating again and again, billion times... at least it gives different taste to fight them with different special weapons.
Of course I would like to have better integration too but TW...

Smithing is good as it is . Just two issues:
1 - overpriced. One handed sword Is not too expensive, but javelin and two handed weapon could be over 100k.
2- progression. Crafting one handed sword not leveling skill too much. Buy craft javelin or 2 h weapon and your skill increases like crazy and unlocked parts flooding no tomorrow.
Fix that and it's good to go.

Maybe some noble quests for certain types of weapons would be a useful addition.
Could have quests to remake famous clan weapons (no doubt, broken in the Battle of Pendraic), with varying stiff skill requirements, unlocking special high tier weapon components that can't otherwise be accessed.

Smithing is good as it is . Just two issues:
1 - overpriced. One handed sword Is not too expensive, but javelin and two handed weapon could be over 100k.
2- progression. Crafting one handed sword not leveling skill too much. Buy craft javelin or 2 h weapon and your skill increases like crazy and unlocked parts flooding no tomorrow.
Fix that and it's good to go.
Smithing has a more issues than this. Having a stamina system is beyond stupid this is not a mobile game, even mmos don't do this ****. The randomness of unlocks is another glaring problem.

Smithing has a more issues than this. Having a stamina system is beyond stupid this is not a mobile game, even mmos don't do this ****. The randomness of unlocks is another glaring problem.
Dude can you stay in a damn smithy all Day long smelting weapons and forging New ones and making ingots of metals just cuz your lord says it?
It adds a little bit of realism to not make it just op
I mean yea, i get your point, but still

Why is the randomness a problem? Put it another way - if the unlocking was linear, people would be complaining about it being predictable. Some moderating of the randomness might be helpful; making sure you have unlock in ascending tiers commensurate with your skill level, say. Or perhaps unlocking parts corresponding to the culture of the town you're smithing in.

Why is the randomness a problem? Put it another way - if the unlocking was linear, people would be complaining about it being predictable.

Lol, no they wouldn't. Linear progression is what players expect, I've literally never seen anyone complain about a progression system being too predictable. Name me one game remotely like bannerlord with random progression over linear progression.

Why is the randomness a problem? Put it another way - if the unlocking was linear, people would be complaining about it being predictable. Some moderating of the randomness might be helpful; making sure you have unlock in ascending tiers commensurate with your skill level, say. Or perhaps unlocking parts corresponding to the culture of the town you're smithing in.
Because getting tier 5 parts unlocked long before t1 or t2 parts is counter-intuitive. It's a progression system so you're suppose to progress from worse to better not the other way around.

Dude can you stay in a damn smithy all Day long smelting weapons and forging New ones and making ingots of metals just cuz your lord says it?
It adds a little bit of realism to not make it just op
I mean yea, i get your point, but still
Are you really arguing for realism on a discussion about smithing? If you want realism then why would a lord or mercenary even think about doing smithing? Smithing wasn't some noble leisure activity, it's hot, dirty and tiresome work not something a king, count, duke, etc would ever be caught dead doing.
I suspect most smiths did work long hard hours so yeah they probably did forge all day long. Your doing it not as a profession but because you want cooler looking weapons or maybe variants that are slightly more powerful than what you can buy not because you have to. This is a game and putting a stamina system on something like this is akin to what mobile gaming does to keep you from having too much fun. The only difference is that mobile gaming is doing it to get you to pay more to speed up the process, but TW is doing it for some unknowable reason.

Last edited:
i agree that is a broken way to get money, i hope if get rebalanced but while that happens relies on you about abusing the mechanic or not i love smithing, give a roleplay aspect, i make a dagger and called the brotherhood dagger and gave him to all my companions,

Lol, no they wouldn't. Linear progression is what players expect, I've literally never seen anyone complain about a progression system being too predictable. Name me one game remotely like bannerlord with random progression over linear progression.
The skill progression is linear and predictable. The specific weapon parts unlocked is not. Some games I unlock sword parts early, sometimes maces, sometimes axes. That's fine. Sometimes I unlock sword grips but not many blades, or a variety of mace heads but only a basic shaft. That's fine too, in a game.

I'd already said in the post you quoted that it could be made more linear without losing some randomness in exact weapon parts, to ensure you at least had a T2 weapon part, then a T3 etc, without randomly giving you a choice between a T1 that doesn't help you progress much further, or a T5 you don't (shouldn't) have the skill to use. In my current game, I got access to both the best T5 mace head and handle within a short time in mid game; which is great, but a little wasteful as I'll never need to vary them or keep hoping for an upgraded component to be discovered.

Penalties for smithing beyond your skill level should be harsher, or it should be impossible (which is very easy to self-impose). It could also be an idea to unlock components based on the culture of where you're smithing. And of course, it's a bit weird to randomly unlock a T5 axe head while you're smelting a T2 spear. So there are ways to reduce the randomness and make the unlocked parts feel more logical by being related to what you were smelting/smithing, without it being entirely predictable ('if I smelt this axe, I'll get that shaft blueprint'). The downside of that of course is that if you rarely find that axe, you may never get that part.

Back
Top Bottom