AlphaDelta's Viking developing corner

Users who are viewing this thread

AlphaDelta said:
Ok 01, 02, 03 are more heavily weathered so they should be good for "battered" shields. :smile:

Cheers

First pics coming now!

143nvi9.jpg

264nhup.jpg

29osozt.jpg

334jhoo.jpg

We have these beautiful shields and he talks about grass... Its from GE by Zaro it says in the info.

AD I am not going to give the Shields to the lords they can keep the heraldic one so the distinguish them self's from the rabble.

Nice one nick!! They look pretty cool, just as I hoped!

Did you make any changes to the BRF?

AD I am not going to give the Shields to the lords they can keep the heraldic one so the distinguish them self's from the rabble.

Sounds perfect. Vikings never used chivalric randsom heraldry, it was a medieval concept that came about after vikings disappeared. But keeping heraldry for lords is absolutely fine.

Cheers

True. The closest thing to nobility in the viking world would essentially be the richest man, who would be by default widely acknowledged as the best warrior in his group.

Nice shields, only thing I would say is that there's no actual evidence for metal rims. At least, I've read that there isn't. Leather rims held on by metal nails would be more authentic.

Viking Re-enactors generally seem to use metal rimmed shields. Perhaps this is historical, or perhaps it just makes the shield last longer when re-enacting. Re-enactors are normally pretty anal about their kit. If there was proof that metal rimmed shields were never used, i'm sure re-enactors wouldn't use them.

Vikings029_jpg.jpg

I could change the rims to be leather. Perhaps It would be good just for the battered shields and some of the more basic designs.

Cheers

Well, the re-enactors in your earlier pictures are all using leather/hide rimmed shields as far as I can see. This was the page I read the information from. Proving they were never used is a different story, of course, but I think they were extremely rare at best. At least some would have survived if otherwise - metal lasts better than wood or leather.

I think even the one I posted above is probably hide.  It's just well conditioned and a light colour, therefore it almost shines like steel.

I think you're right that if metal rimmed shields were used, we would still find the rims today. I'll take a look at the rims soon and see if I make some convincing looking hide edges.

Cheers

I think we don't have to be 110% historical correct. Hollywood defines most of the impressions people got. Doesn't matter that much if its not historical proved. Or should we talk about vikings using long pikes?!  :roll:

However the shields looking wonderful ingame.  :grin:
Tunics are also a piece of nice work, but i think they don't fit that well for elite troops in battle armor ..

Back
Top Bottom