AlphaDelta's Viking developing corner

AlphaDelta

Banned
Best answers
0
Hi,

Lord and realms is a great mod. I'm enjoying it greatly but I noticed there are some funny texture errors here and there.

For example the war axe and war hammer are strangely blue. Also the templar and teutonic shields have red and black crosses on yellowy-white backgrounds where they should be white. I fixed both of these textures problems and I was just curious if you want  them sent to you?

If anyone else has noticed some texture errors like that I'd be happy to take a look but I dont know what your policy is on all this.

Cheers
 

NICK.ALTMAN

Knight
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
AlphaDelta said:
Hi,

Lord and realms is a great mod. I'm enjoying it greatly but I noticed there are some funny texture errors here and there.

For example the war axe and war hammer are strangely blue. Also the templar and teutonic shields have red and black crosses on yellowy-white backgrounds where they should be white. I fixed both of these textures problems and I was just curious if you want  them sent to you?

If anyone else has noticed some texture errors like that I'd be happy to take a look but I dont know what your policy is on all this.

Cheers
Are you the famous AlphaDelta from Total war forums? The Englishman from Plymouth? FCoC author? Broken Crescent skinner, modeler, moder, etc., is it you?

It must be you. You use cheers as the last word in your posts always.
 

NICK.ALTMAN

Knight
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
AlphaDelta said:
Plymouth  :evil: Portsmouth! But yeah the rest is about right.  :lol:
WOW! I am a great fan! I kinda switched to M&B lately but your work is awesome! BC is one of the best mods out there and FCoC is great. Small but a gem! BC 1.5 is coming out for ages since you left. But Stainless Steel is my favorite (worked as help for King Kong on 6.0 release, mainly beta-testing  :grin: ) and there is a new gem. Third Age came out and it's definitely the most complete mod out there and it looks stunning. I saw it last night and still can't belief it's free.

Sorry about the city. P-mouth I got right!  :cool:

I remember that I read somewhere on FCoC forum that you are planing to make a M&B mod.

Well I would be honored if you would help Lords and Realms since its basically me and eventual help by fans.
 

AlphaDelta

Banned
Best answers
0
I have also got a bit bored of the Total war series.  BC was a crazy project. I nearly ruined my life on that project. :p FKoC was a much easier and more interesting project. I got to do everything on that one. Thanks for the heads up about TA:TW. Its not really my thing but they put a lot of work into it and it deserves to be tried out.

I've been playing M&B for atleast a year. It seems to bring me back every few months. Though I wonder if my interest will remain now that the beta period is over and updates are less frequent. :cry:

My first mini M&B/L&R project that I'd like to work on is the nordic shields. I don't mean offense to whoever made them, but they're really ugly. They are generally too thick plus Vikings had wonderful colourful shields in all maner of patterns. I'd love to make maybe 10 or 12 different viking shields. It would be a lot more interesting to see the nords carry a wide variety of shield patterns than having every man carrying the same shield.

After that perhaps move onto islamic shields for the vaegirs.

Let me know what you think about this idea.

Cheers
 

NICK.ALTMAN

Knight
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
AlphaDelta said:
I have also got a bit bored of the Total war series.  BC was a crazy project. I nearly ruined my life on that project. :p FKoC was a much easier and more interesting project. I got to do everything on that one. Thanks for the heads up about TA:TW. Its not really my thing but they put a lot of work into it and it deserves to be tried out.

I've been playing M&B for atleast a year. It seems to bring me back every few months. Though I wonder if my interest will remain now that the beta period is over and updates are less frequent. :cry:

My first mini M&B/L&R project that I'd like to work on is the nordic shields. I don't mean offense to whoever made them, but they're really ugly. They are generally too thick plus Vikings had wonderful colourful shields in all maner of patterns. I'd love to make maybe 10 or 12 different viking shields. It would be a lot more interesting to see the nords carry a wide variety of shield patterns than having every man carrying the same shield.

After that perhaps move onto islamic shields for the vaegirs.

Let me know what you think about this idea.

Cheers
SOLD!  :grin:

But be warned a small number of my Nords have shields.
 

Vaelius Noctu

Veteran
M&BWB
Best answers
0
Vikings my Favorite Units, like the Insane Viking Berserker. But I must say in reality Vikings dont have Horned Helms, but I like the Helms.^^
Some cool dan different Viking shields is a good Idea. But I hope they have Player Heraldrics on there Shields.^^
 

NICK.ALTMAN

Knight
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
AlphaDelta said:
But be warned a small number of my Nords have shields.
+

But I hope they have Player Heraldrics on there Shields.^
=

It's not really worth investing time in this idea. Ahwell  :smile:
Don't tell me you gave up? Nord Footman, Nord Trained Footman, Nord Swordsman and Nord Calvary have shields. Beserkers too sometimes. So you can give it a go.  :razz:
 

hotcobbler

Regular
Best answers
0
Maybe he's playing TA:TW :smile: I know I will be tommorow. I've been following it so long I have to check it out.
 

AlphaDelta

Banned
Best answers
0
Essentially I want to make the viking shield mesh a bit thinner. Could you do that? At the moment the wood looks very thick, almost floor board thick. It should be more like 1 - 1.5 inches thick.

If I sent you a 1024x1024 texture file with about 10 shield skins could you do the rest? I dont really know the M&B file system.

Cheers
 

NICK.ALTMAN

Knight
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
AlphaDelta said:
Essentially I want to make the viking shield mesh a bit thinner. Could you do that? At the moment the wood looks very thick, almost floor board thick. It should be more like 1 - 1.5 inches thick.

If I sent you a 1024x1024 texture file with about 10 shield skins could you do the rest? I don't really know the M&B file system.

Cheers
Hmm... You have to make me a brf file. You can find them in the mod resource. After that I can import it in the items file and later distribute it to the units. But you have to make the bfr file. You have to learn a bit about the mesh files in M&B. But is easy and a great moder like you in about 1 hour will figure everything out.

You have Bfr editor that allows you to import and make meshes. Take a look in the forge. http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,8771.0.html

And about the shields. I am not sure how thick they should be. I am not to conviced that they should be thin. Anybody knows how thick were viking shields? AD do you got maybe some viking photos? Like reconstructions from history manuals?  :???:
 

AlphaDelta

Banned
Best answers
0
These are pretty good examples of how thin viking shields were.







Also note how many use swords! All of them. Also I think that very few nordic warriors would have gone to battle without a shield. Even those that used 2 handed axes still carried shields. Their strength was always in the shield wall. No shield no wall. Plus very few vikings went to battle wearing armour so a shield was their main protection.

This is the round shield in-game. I'd say it's about 2 - 3 times as thick as the shields the reenactors carry. And the edge has a curved surface whereas it should be flat.



With the brown edges and the fatness of it all, it looks more like a donut than a viking shield.  :razz:

I installed the BRF editor and I'll have a play with it.

Cheers
 

NICK.ALTMAN

Knight
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
Good to have you around! Well now when you are playing with the brf editor you can make shilds as you like them!  :razz:

A donut ... US cop joke. Ha ha.  :grin:
 

hotcobbler

Regular
Best answers
0
I agree, the in game shields are a bit too thick.

The reason you could use a thinner shield is because it was reinforced with a leather covering. This simple technology increased the ability of the shield to more evenly absorb blows, as opposed to a bare wooden shield. The leather essentially transfers energy throughout the whole mass more evenly, dispersing it more effectively.
 

AlphaDelta

Banned
Best answers
0
Nick which BRF contains that round shield I showed?

Once I find that BRF what should I do, something like?

Copy the file and call it ad_viking_shields.brf
Delete out all meshes and materials except the one i want.
Fix that mesh to how I want it (can mesh editing be done in BRF?)
Clone that mesh 10 times.
Add in my 10 materials.

Let me know :smile:
 

NICK.ALTMAN

Knight
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
AlphaDelta said:
Nick which BRF contains that round shield I showed?

Once I find that BRF what should I do, something like?

Copy the file and call it ad_viking_shields.brf
Delete out all meshes and materials except the one i want.
Fix that mesh to how I want it (can mesh editing be done in BRF?)
Clone that mesh 10 times.
Add in my 10 materials.

Let me know :smile:
F:\Games\Mount&Blade\CommonRes\Shields

So its a native bfr file. I just found some nice shields there. And I think more or less you got the system right!  :grin: