Dark Ages LSP 3D Art AlphaDeltas opensource Viking pack - RELEASED

Users who are viewing this thread

You should add a maille aventail like on the native spiked helmet for the Nordic, Nasal, Footmen, Segmented and Guard helmets ( you could even replace the "cap" section from the Helmet and Cap with an aventail too). It woud be a really great addition to the Nordic feel I think and greatly increase the variety. Such a thing would only benefit the project in my opinion. Shouldn't be to hard either.

I won't be adding aventails to these helmets as that's exactly what I've removed. The aventails in M&B generally look poor as they dont extend onto the shoulders. Also most dark age/viking warriors didnt use mail aventails. Hauberks with mail hood + helmet for richer warriors or simply a helmet for the average soldier. The mail hood segmented and nasal helmets are already in-game so nothing to do there.

This reference shows helmets without aventails, and only one man in a hooded hauberk.

viking_helmet_reference.jpg

I'm sure I've seen that completely smooth style of helmet somewhere in the game, but I cant find it in the file.

Cheers

Stunning work!

AlphaDelta said:
I'm sure I've seen that completely smooth style of helmet somewhere in the game, but I cant find it in the file.

Cheers
That's the old nasal helmet you're talking about. It's probably still in a .brf file somewhere, but if you can't find it, you could always download OSP helmets, it has two versions of the nasal helmet that has that same single-piece smooth helmet and noseguard.

Ruthven said:
That's the old nasal helmet you're talking about. It's probably still in a .brf file somewhere, but if you can't find it, you could always download OSP helmets, it has two versions of the nasal helmet that has that same single-piece smooth helmet and noseguard.

It's in the item_kinds1.brf.

Anyway, I think it's great work, but if you want helmets to look nice you might need to have some sort of aventail, I think M&B can't properly display hair and a helmet at once, but I'm not sure. :???:

FrisianDude said:
Ruthven said:

It's in the item_kinds1.brf.

Anyway, I think it's great work, but if you want helmets to look nice you might need to have some sort of aventail, I think M&B can't properly display hair and a helmet at once, but I'm not sure. :???:
No, it can't. However, you could always just add a bit of hair onto the helmet yourself. 3 different types of hair per one helmet, and it should look fine.

And yeah, the nasal helmet is still in item_meshes1

Adding hair to the helmet meshes is a nice idea, but you need to keep in mind that there are 7 helmets x 2 LOD's. 3 types of hair x 7 helmets x 2 LOD's = 42 meshes.

Its really not worth the hassle just to add a bit of hair.

Cheers

Sidus Preclarum said:
Very nice, I'm looking forward to seeing those included in mods.

See this thread for in-game screenshots:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,62739.75.html

Dain Ironfoot said:
Ruthven said:
No, it can't.

Yes it can.
Aside from the itp_doesn't_cover_hair, which doesn't work for reasons previously stated. Unless there is another way that me and my mod-newbieness haven't found...?

(I'm being serious btw, I only sound like I'm pretending to be a code guru due to lack of voice expression on teh interwebz and lack of a suitable emoticon.)

Wow, Fantastic. Coming from someone who is obsessed with vikings, I hope people utilize this pack. When I see horned helmets in mods it makes me want to tear my eyes out  :evil:

AlphaDelta said:
I won't be adding aventails to these helmets as that's exactly what I've removed. The aventails in M&B generally look poor as they dont extend onto the shoulders. Also most dark age/viking warriors didnt use mail aventails. Hauberks with mail hood + helmet for richer warriors or simply a helmet for the average soldier. The mail hood segmented and nasal helmets are already in-game so nothing to do there.

This reference shows helmets without aventails, and only one man in a hooded hauberk.

viking_helmet_reference.jpg

Cheers

What about other half of the picture  :lol::

med70.png

I still think it would be a great avenue to follow, that way lords and higher tier troops could be made to look different to lesser men. Don't have to just do aventails, you can do hoods too of course. Of course it is your choice only trying to give you input to help make the project even better than it is already!

Some of Ganbats Art even shows the Sea Raiders with maille hoods:

mb84.png

As I say those are mail hood and they are already in-game as standard.. The helmets I've previewed aren't new, they're standard vanilla helmets with the hoods/aventails cut off.

Doing aventails properlly is next to impossible in M&B because there's no way to rig the ends of the tail to the shoulder bones. It means that the aventail is completely rigid and you have to make it much shorter than it should be.

Cheers

Only two out of all those helmets had any maille though. The Guard helmet had a coif/ underneath and the Spiked helmet had a aventail. It looks fine on the Spiked helmet even though it is shorter than in the picture I posted. Not every single aventail would be long also. I could keep trying to convice you to add maille to the helmets that originally didn't have them in native but its pointless I am guessing. Only thing I can say is it would make it look a little less strange with maille instead of bald vikings unlesss hair is added.

It must be because I never play vanilla then. In Lord and Realms there are tons of nasal, reinforced, skullcap and segmented helmets with hoods/aventails, and none without. That's why I produced this helmet pack - To give lesser viking warriors more suitable helmets.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom