Alpha Patch 1.2

Users who are viewing this thread

Benevlan

Recruit
hey there I just wanted to ask a quick question about this new patch, does anyone know if the cavalry have been nerfed yet?  the mod is fantastic but I feel like that one issue of severely OP cavalry really just makes it somewhat unplayable for me, which is a real shame considering how amazing and groundbreaking the rest of the mod is.  if it hasn't been fixed yet, would anyone know how I could just remove cavalry outright from the game, or at the very least tweak the stats and army composition myself?

Well, cavalry are still deadly, but animations have been improved slightly, so it won't be a complete slaughter all of the time.

I actually fought alongside some allied cavalry and they got slaughtered by a unit of 95th Rifles sitting on a hill, it wasn't very steep but the cavalry couldn't get enough speed to be effective, once they closed to melee range they got either shot off their horses or stabbed.

Short answer, they are still very powerful, but starting to get tweaked.

Cavalry has always should always, and majority of conflicts have the upper hand on poorly organised troops.

That being said however, cavalry is an effective force, but infantry should be able to fend them off with casualties of course. In relation to the new patch, the animations have been addressed and I am sure muskets and so on have been changed slightly. Horses can be dealt with pretty easily but when they proper outnumber you then you can have some issues. The horsemen themselves are a still deadly with swords, especially horse guards and cuirassiers.

Much better than previous patches but it really depends on how you play the game and use tactics and so on as to if you will win an engagement. Cavalry should still be a challenging opponent none the less :wink:

General K said:
Cavalry has always should always, and majority of conflicts have the upper hand on poorly organised troops.

That being said however, cavalry is an effective force, but infantry should be able to fend them off with casualties of course. In relation to the new patch, the animations have been addressed and I am sure muskets and so on have been changed slightly. Horses can be dealt with pretty easily but when they proper outnumber you then you can have some issues. The horsemen themselves are a still deadly with swords, especially horse guards and cuirassiers.

Much better than previous patches but it really depends on how you play the game and use tactics and so on as to if you will win an engagement. Cavalry should still be a challenging opponent none the less :wink:

ah alright, thank you guys for all the replies.  but I'd still like to know if its possible to tweak the stats and/or army composition myself, or would it be too much of a hassle to do it personally if you don't have extensive modding knowledge?

Benevlan said:
General K said:

ah alright, thank you guys for all the replies.  but I'd still like to know if its possible to tweak the stats and/or army composition myself, or would it be too much of a hassle to do it personally if you don't have extensive modding knowledge?

You can download TweakMB (search it on google) or cheat your game to hire some top-tier units.

Gewehr98 said:
Articulo34 said:
If you have enough line infantry and you put them in square they do a good job against a cavalry charge.

How many men do you need for a square?
50 should do the trick if they have support from other units. In the previous patch I had Grenadiers and Fusiliers forming separated plus Riflemen on their own. With both Grenadiers and Fusiliers forming square up front with Riflemen behind in skirmishing formation no cavalry army could defeat us. Beware though that troops in square are very vulnerable to artillery fire, a hit in the middle could take the whole formation out.

Seeing as a square formation is non-viable for a smaller group of infantry, cavalry are definitely a force to be reckoned with. This is the case especially when the AI army is 80% cavalry, of course tactics plays a huge role in countering cavalry (i.e forcing them to charge up hill) but 1.2 in my opinion, significantly balanced bayonets which are no longer obsolete and my infantry are now capable of killing cavalry.

The Bowman said:
The bayonet stab animations are finally effective. The problem is that the troops use the butt attacks more, which have a much shorter reach.
Sure, but when you have a **** load of troops it´s likely that at least one of them is going to thrust, thus getting the damage bonus against horses and therefore putting the rider where he belongs, with the pleb. And once he is there be it a bayonet or a musket butt matters little, he is FUBAR.

You guys realise cavalry in the Napoleonic wars was 'overpowered'  and at Waterloo even a British square of 500 men in four rank formation took heavy losses from cuirassiers getting just close enough with swords. I just think the game needs to be balanced financially because a Horsey and a cuirass would cost a lot more to maintain in an army than a plebiaen with a coat and brown bess.

Jabinji said:
You guys realise cavalry in the Napoleonic wars was 'overpowered'  and at Waterloo even a British square of 500 men in four rank formation took heavy losses from cuirassiers getting just close enough with swords. I just think the game needs to be balanced financially because a Horsey and a cuirass would cost a lot more to maintain in an army than a plebiaen with a coat and brown bess.

yes well if I was asking about the historical accuracy of the game then that'd be relevant.  but I like to have fun when I play games.  that means not getting wiped out by cavalry almost instantly and having to resort to cheap tactics like cheating just to overcome their sheer force and strength.  you could make the arguement that enough men would be able to somewhat repel them but I don't enjoy cheating just to build up an army, or losing half my army after every battle and having to reinforce them.

Jabinji said:

In the whole napoleonic history, there isn't one example of cavalry
destroying a formed infantry square.
if the infantry forms up, then cavalry shouldn't be powerfull
enough to penetrate it.

Docm30 said:
sifis172 said:
In the whole napoleonic history, there isn't one example of cavalry destroying a formed infantry square.

According to who?

This made me laugh  :lol:. My thoughts exactly. I am pretty damned sure that square formations were not impenetrable. Heavy cavalry, especially cuirassiers and those with such heavy armaments, could and probably did at times, flatten infantry from the direction they were attacking in the masses, even if a couple horses reared and threw their riders off they could still knock them down, at least a portion of the formation.

Besides, not everything has to be written down and recorded for it to have happened. Some areas remain shades of grey however this I doubt  :neutral:

if there is such an example, then i apologize.

this topic was brought up, in the lordz community,
discussing the function of the squares in the napoleonic mod.

from what i have read (i'm not an expert, but i have made some reading),
cuirassiers could not destroy squares for two reasons.

1: the horses would not charge in the infatry, they would stop before
impact. it's difficult to convince an animal to charge to something pointy.

2: the cuirassiers that got close to the square had a very shorter weapon reach
than that of the infantry. meaning that if the cuirassier had the infantry on
his right (the side closest to them), even then they could not reach them.
(there are some illustrations showing this in a book that i have).

there are some referances in napoleonystika, in some cases when it was
raining, that the charge of cavalry to infantry square took ridicoulus
dimmensions. the cavalry could not reach the infantry, and the infantry
could not shoot them.

the cavalry type that could be more succesull in this type of struggle was
the lancers. they had loger reach, and could hurt them more.
but even then they were pretty much incapable of doing damage.
in a reference on the battle of waterloo, which had a huge struggle of
that type, there is an example of a lancer killing an infantryman after
a long time by throwing his lance as a javelin. this whole episode was
mentioned because the cavalry man was not able to reach him,
and threw his spear in frustration.

i think that this episode was mentioned in barello's:
history of the battle of waterloo.

1: the horses would not charge in the infatry, they would stop before
impact. it's difficult to convince an animal to charge to something pointy.
nonsense..you heard abou medieval warfare?because that was the point of medieval knight,to charge the formation of infantry

Back
Top Bottom