SP - Battles & Sieges Allow us to tell which unit to attack or charge

Users who are viewing this thread

As it is now ordering a charge usually results in them attacking the nearest unit, oftentimes cavalry while ignoring the infantry blob I want them to charge. Being able to order units what units to attack specifically would greatly improve battle controls.

+1
Suggested this for Captain mode while in beta but there was no response to that. Similarly, in singleplayer it's rather frustrating to not have the choice of targeting a particular unit. This also ends up making the whole 'Sergeant' system during battles totally meaningless. Archers will fire at whoever they feel like, often without prioritising properly the major threat and taking heavy casualties because of that. Cavalry will spread out and charge whoever they feel like splitting completely, and telling them to follow or set their position on the enemy isn't effective. I find it baffling that in a 2020 strategy game we still cannot choose which unit to attack, one of the most basic features, and battles play out largely as in Warband, partly because of this.

Last edited:
+1
I was going to post it, I think commanding advance, from an angle to ur unit kind of has that effect (and charge when close).
But otherwise, I would like to see it similar to siege, where u can order a unit to a specific engine (ladder, catapult etc)

agreed in order to attack a specific unit at the moment you need to place a movement flag where they are and when they get close have them charge or else they just stand in a line like idiots. its clunky and has caused me a battle or two when im trying to lead my cavalry into the enemy archers and then realize my infantry has been completely demolished because they stood in a strait line staring at the enemies cavalry. things get hectic battle, if we have to micromanage each units footsteps atleast give us back the battle minimap from warband

+1 attention from here. As long as its programmed well and that unit isnt fixed on that specific unit for to long in different scenarios since then im gonna loose controll over bigger battles when im in em fighting myself. Which happens now anyways though when half my troops are running after routing enemies if im not paying attention leaving both their back towards their archers and rest of the troops to their deaths. Could fix this with an charge order where your marker land which it shows when your movement order is up. Which sometimes my troops respond to though but guess its situational and what position i am along with em. Or move to enemy F4 could be such command combined with marking

Last edited:
I agree and also there should be formation option like "Special Units" so we can place our companions and best soldiers into that.

I agree and also there should be formation option like "Special Units" so we can place our companions and best soldiers into that.

If you mean what I think you mean, you can already do that through the Party menu on the map screen. Unfortunately, though, as it is now, it doesn't save, so every time you load your game you have to reorganize it all. There are 9(?) groupings (corresponding to the 1-9 keys for hotkeying in battle). By default, 1 is all infantry troops, 2 is all foot archers, and 3 is all cavalry (4 might be horse archers, haven't worked with them yet), but you can reassign companions and individual troop units to whatever numbers you want. I find this particularly effective for training large numbers of recruits/tier 2 troops against looters. Just set them to a separate formation number and tell everyone else to stay out of it xD

It can also be useful for, as you said, staging specific groups in battle (i.e. having two infantry groups, one with shields to lead the charge with the more offense-heavy infantry close behind them), companions in their own grouping, different groups of cavalry to flank from different directions, etc.

And if party formations like that aren't what you were talking about... well, ignore me and my dumb self then xD

If you mean what I think you mean, you can already do that through the Party menu on the map screen. Unfortunately, though, as it is now, it doesn't save, so every time you load your game you have to reorganize it all. There are 9(?) groupings (corresponding to the 1-9 keys for hotkeying in battle). By default, 1 is all infantry troops, 2 is all foot archers, and 3 is all cavalry (4 might be horse archers, haven't worked with them yet), but you can reassign companions and individual troop units to whatever numbers you want. I find this particularly effective for training large numbers of recruits/tier 2 troops against looters. Just set them to a separate formation number and tell everyone else to stay out of it xD

It can also be useful for, as you said, staging specific groups in battle (i.e. having two infantry groups, one with shields to lead the charge with the more offense-heavy infantry close behind them), companions in their own grouping, different groups of cavalry to flank from different directions, etc.

And if party formations like that aren't what you were talking about... well, ignore me and my dumb self then xD
I do the same thing but grouping troops over and over is very exhausting. My idea is (same as title) necessity for a send option for auto-resolve thing and hideout missions so that way i could choose whatever soldiers i want and how many of them.

+1
I would love this option. Currently, I miss an option for my cavalary to engage enemy cavalary and horse archers. As a result I need to make my cavalary follow me and lead myself to counter enemy horse units.

If they have lame questions like "How's that even gonna work" in their minds, they can check mods. I believe RTS mod successfully implemented this feature.

Back
Top Bottom