Alliances between major nations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Gandamula

Sergeant at Arms
In this game everyone seems to be everyone's enemy, I never noticed any alliance between the major factions, is it a bug, is it a feature, or will there be in the future?

Quote from dev, its a possibility they are discussing
Yes, game needs alliances. This was obvious and most of us come to this conclusion at diplomacy developments thread.

I offered alliances idea to armagan too. It is “partly accepted” but we will talk about details at October. I offered when there is an alliance 2+ allied factions should be able to make a siege to a fortification together or they should join battles on map when allied kingdom party is attacked or they can defend allied settlements or they can get more open slots at settlements of allied kingdom + we should find negative side effect(s).

This feature will probably increase battle variety on game which will result in better gameplay experience and it will be slow down snowballing (if nobody make alliance with most powerful factions) which again results in better and more balanced gameplay experience.

Imo biggest problem of alliances feature will be “what will be its negative effect?” What will stop factions making alliances all the time? There should be a cost or some other negative effect. Otherwise making alliances will be always logical. One possible solution is there can be a cost which both allied factions pay and it can be more expensive when factions are stronger. There can be more side effects.

Quote from dev, its a possibility they are discussing
I hope so because at moment there are no diplomacy, we can't interact with other factions as a nation, the developers could add comercial treaties, with low taxes to our traders, non aggression pacts, casus beli, alliances,espionage, political muderes, disruption of another factions, even a empire reunification mission ... But I guess it's to much.

I hope so because at moment there are no diplomacy, we can't interact with other factions as a nation, the developers could add comercial treaties, with low taxes to our traders, non aggression pacts, casus beli, alliances,espionage, political muderes, disruption of another factions, even a empire reunification mission ... But I guess it's to much.

i like the idea, but i think the map is not big enough for that kind of strategie. Imagine Khuzaits make an alliance with someone. o_O

i like the idea, but i think the map is not big enough for that kind of strategie. Imagine Khuzaits make an alliance with someone. o_O

It depends on who. They may play the Empire factions against each other or the Aserai against the Empire. Or maybe make an alliance with the Vlandians to "sandwich" the Empire factions.

AI could just count on strenght and weakness of factions so minor ones would easily join to defend against stronger ones. Ofc if one minor would become stronger than former allies would become probably enemies etc. No eternal aliances ofc but most likely just reactions or plans depending on sit (ofc Sturgians would not allied with Aserai with such geographical distance). Or Imperial factions joining against foreigners but if no war then eager to fight among themselves but if enough hate then rather joining foreigners ...

Just imagine a game where the Khuzaits and Aserai were allied.
It would give me double the reason to join the SE. :xf-mad:

AI could just count on strenght and weakness of factions so minor ones would easily join to defend against stronger ones. Ofc if one minor would become stronger than former allies would become probably enemies etc. No eternal aliances ofc but most likely just reactions or plans depending on sit (ofc Sturgians would not allied with Aserai with such geographical distance). Or Imperial factions joining against foreigners but if no war then eager to fight among themselves but if enough hate then rather joining foreigners ...
For what mexxico was saying I think TW wants it so weaker factions can join forces against stronger ones to keep from getting curb stomped to death. If it works properly it really should slow down the steamrolling. The only downside is that if they don't get it right it will be almost impossible to eliminate a faction and we end up constantly in a stalemate. I think it's going to take a lot of time and player feedback to get it right.

This would be so good! It would also give a good reason to build a relation with a king or emperor. Become friendly with them, have non-aggression pacts, alliances, trade deals and so much more.

You could do sieges together, advise one another to attack a certain kingdom or region or lend eachother vassals or money to help fight in a war.

That is also what I loved about Diplomacy Mod Warband.

As vassal
  • Persuasion attempts to convince your king to start a war
  • Appoint a chamberlain, who will decrease tax inefficiency by 10% and gives you the ability to set tax rates. Taxes also have an effect on center relation and prosperity. In addition he will take care of paying wages and collecting income as well as giving you the possibility to secure your money
  • Let your companions pick items from the chamberlain item pool (autoloot)
    Appoint a constable who recruits and trains troops and provides information about garrisons and troops of lords
  • Send patrols to important locations
  • Appoint a chancellor who sends gifts and messengers to other lords
  • Village and town riots may occure if the people hate you and have to pay high tax rates. Counter them or negotiate with the leader.
  • Let your spouse buy some food
  • Pay staff salary
  • Troops will start running away if you go into debts (this also applies to garrisons)
  • Return fiefs to your king, he won't like this, though
  • Move your residence (via spouse)
  • Negotiate Mid-siege surrender/walk-out terms if defending your own keeps and towns
  • Affiliate to families
  • Send scouts to settlements
  • Pay to avoid defeat
As king
  • Threaten other kingdoms with war and try to squeeze money out of them
  • If a faction sues for peace you will have the option to set terms
  • Possiblity to send a gift to another faction (fief or money)
  • Send a spy to another kingdom
  • Form an alliance, conclude a defensive pact, sign a trade agreement or conclude a non-aggression treaty with another faction.
  • Change the domnestic policy of your kingdom. Choose between Centralization/Decentralization, Aristocracy/Plutocracy, Serfdom/Free subjects, Quality/Quantity which affects trade income, vassals armies size, AI army strength, relation between king and vassals as well as tax inefficiency
  • When asking for a truce you will get the option to pay and/or give fiefs to conclude a truce.
  • If another faction recognizes you as king you will have the option to ask for help against your enemy and in certain circumstances support the decision by paying money
  • Choose your faction culture so all your lords will recruit the same type of troops
  • Exchange or release your (own) prisoners
  • Distribute spoils of war after you conquered a town or castle
  • Send emissaries to persuade lords to join your kingdom

For me, alliances are a lower priority addition while many basic stuff from Warband is missing like directing lords to tasks, asking their opinions, deserters, manhunters, and better siege AI.

However, TW insists on being silent about whether these features are crossed out for all or have a chance to be implemented. In this case, I will welcome alliances as any content addition is of gold value in this pace of development.

Back
Top Bottom