AI troops in captain focus way too hard on enemy captains as opposed to enemy troops

Users who are viewing this thread

Aerational

Regular
The troops are overly focused on enemy captains to a point that simply drawing half of the enemy's troops away from a battle, pied piper style, is becoming "meta".

For example I just marched down an archer line with a shield wall in captain, which is a miracle now, and when I got to them and hit "attack" all the enemy captain did was go running off behind my troops and they ALL followed after him . So I manually click-move them back toward the archer line.... my troops turn around and walk back toward the archers, I wait until their shields are touching the archers. I hit "attack"... they all promptly turn around and go chasing after the captain who is like 25 feet behind them behind a tree shooting arrows.

Little things like this get so annoying and they start to ware on you. I sorta wish the devs would take a week off from developing and just play the game, SP and MP, and get a feel for what issues they should prioritize. I'm sure they play it but I'm sure they are also very busy working on it and perhaps a lot of their "to do" list comes from customer feedback, which is fine and all, but looking at all these issues in an abstract forum doesn't necessarily give you an idea of which issues are more prevalent/ annoying/ game breaking.

Yes, this!

Also when enemy AI focuses on the player it leads to the player getting mobbed and killed -- and then the 'death cycle' begins where you spawn as one of you troops and die as soon as you take control, repeatedly. And before you know it your whole unit is gone. :sad:

Not necessarily. Players move a bit faster than troops wich allows them to kite. Also when your side is winning the melee because you lured a portion of them away then there is a good chance to spawn as a full hp soldier.

I think in general there should be more of a drawback for dieing as player to disincentivize rambo behavior.

It's just attack nearest isn't it? I didn't think they preference players. But players position themselves to be closest and then drag event ai away

It's just attack nearest isn't it? I didn't think they preference players. But players position themselves to be closest and then drag event ai away
No, I'm pretty sure they go after the players. I've been further from the enemy and had them go right past my unit to go after me behind giving commands.

Also, for K/D ratio, only deaths of the player count as deaths (not their unit members) but they get all the kills of the unit -- so if that's what you are interested in your best bet is to command from the rear and not die yourself (not rambo cav. where they all die as the player sequentially).

No way the player was way further away than the AI troops.
That sounds like a glitch more than the norm if they are traveling over distance in order to kill a captain! Maybe it has something to do with the first f1f3 you did before righting their course back into the archers ai as you described.. maybe their f1f3 target remained on the captain (as a glitch) so when you told them to attack again they preference their original target. Had to be a bug.. If that's a thing it definitely needs to be fixed. That would be very annoying! I can only imagine the sinking feeling as you watch it unfold and the arrows start peppering your backs

I've been always walking my guys into the enemy since the beginning of my mp playing because f1f3 is to risky. But like the scenario you described... That speed boost when your in shield wall and use f1f3 is very helpful. F1f3 in general seems to mean your guys have absolutely no interest in defending and blindly rush to attack, I don't like using it often to be honest, I find I end up with same kills by not using it and often my guys survive longer in a big mele brawl by not using it... But I play with a brutal 250-300 ping.. so I have a lot more spare time than most players on the battle field.. I'm not hunting my own kills unless they present easily to me and I don't risk hitting friendlies. I'm mostly just focusing on positioning of my troops and giving my team mates a heads up about how the enemy position is evolving. This means I have time to continually reposition them in front of enemies instead of hitting f1f3 and doing my own fighting. It does feel like f1f3 often comes with some fairly hefty consequences.

That sounds like a glitch more than the norm if they are traveling over distance in order to kill a captain! Maybe it has something to do with the first f1f3 you did before righting their course back into the archers ai as you described.. maybe their f1f3 target remained on the captain (as a glitch) so when you told them to attack again they preference their original target. Had to be a bug.. If that's a thing it definitely needs to be fixed. That would be very annoying! I can only imagine the sinking feeling as you watch it unfold and the arrows start peppering your backs

I've been always walking my guys into the enemy since the beginning of my mp playing because f1f3 is to risky. But like the scenario you described... That speed boost when your in shield wall and use f1f3 is very helpful. F1f3 in general seems to mean your guys have absolutely no interest in defending and blindly rush to attack, I don't like using it often to be honest, I find I end up with same kills by not using it and often my guys survive longer in a big mele brawl by not using it... But I play with a brutal 250-300 ping.. so I have a lot more spare time than most players on the battle field.. I'm not hunting my own kills unless they present easily to me and I don't risk hitting friendlies. I'm mostly just focusing on positioning of my troops and giving my team mates a heads up about how the enemy position is evolving. This means I have time to continually reposition them in front of enemies instead of hitting f1f3 and doing my own fighting. It does feel like f1f3 often comes with some fairly hefty consequences.
People need to stop defending this game by default, man. Let the feedback be.

Err sure, more just saying until a fix comes for the problem...there are ways and means to work around. Not taking anything away from your feedback
It's not up to communities to constantly find work arounds for clunky gameplay and there are already far too many. Dude I have glitches that I wont report simply because they are work arounds for other glitches that they won't fix. That's not what you want in a game.

MP is all about who knows how to avoid certain bugs/ exploit others the best, and SP is just a pile of creative player work arounds for buggy gameplay.

It's not up to communities to constantly find work arounds for clunky gameplay and there are already far too many. Dude I have glitches that I wont report simply because they are work arounds for other glitches that they won't fix. That's not what you want in a game.

MP is all about who knows how to avoid certain bugs/ exploit others the best, and SP is just a pile of creative player work arounds for buggy gameplay.
Agreed, all I meant is that I am having a lot of success not using f1f3 with my shock units until the infantry fight becomes messy. While your using formations with shields and shock, not using f1f3 seems to be extremely effective.

Because I have terrible ping my whole game is about positioning and commands to get my kill count... It's usually very effective on the kill count. Like any match not always... But usually

Agreed, all I meant is that I am having a lot of success not using f1f3 with my shock units until the infantry fight becomes messy. While your using formations with shields and shock, not using f1f3 seems to be extremely effective.

Because I have terrible ping my whole game is about positioning and commands to get my kill count... It's usually very effective on the kill count. Like any match not always... But usually
You should try f1 f4 (Advance) and your troops will stay together as a unit instead of scattering to the nearest enemy. Although, I find Charge (f1 f3) is useful for going after cavalry when they approach your unit.

You should try f1 f4 (Advance) and your troops will stay together as a unit instead of scattering to the nearest enemy. Although, I find Charge (f1 f3) is useful for going after cavalry when they approach your unit.
(slow day at a work for me so bouncing around forums today lol) That's a great idea! Though sometimes its great for them not to advance, when i want them to stay protected behind the shields. I love a well timed f1f3 as the cav come in for a charge and you see the rider go ragdolling over everyone's heads!

Yeah the problem with f1 f3 is they have absolute **** target selection and will all lock on to the same person off in Timbuktu and turn their backs to the enemies literally right in front of them.

I try to keep formation as much as possible but that can be wonky too especially if a couple captains run behind your line which obviously they will.

Back
Top Bottom