AI needs better troops, automatic recruitment system

Users who are viewing this thread

So we are all missing the training XP from Warband because chasing looters all day isnt fun, so thats a thing we all agree and needs to be implemented and has been talked before. But apart from that I also find that the AI has way too many basic troops, most lords go around with about 100 troops which are basically like 60 recruits/peasants, and then some 20ish tier 2/3 troops and then some of the rest are ok. This is making my game kind of boring, because I go around with a profesional army, and its just beating peasants over and over one lord after the other. It only gets interesting when its a huge battle or im greatly outnumbered.

So I believe there should be a system to give XP to troops that also works for AI as a skill, and then also having a fief should include some automatic recruitment system apart from the merchants and gangs there. I imagine it a little bit like this, so you get a castle, and now you can appoint a companion to manage the castle and he will offer a pool of constant recruits based on the skills of that companion, like he cant give you top tier troops unless he is a beast at Steward (for example) and also a limit on how many recruits he can offer based on his skills. You can also tell him what kind of units you would like (melee, archers, etc), and his skills at one handed, or bow should influence if he can give you the kind of troops you want, because it doesnt make sense that your quartermaster who trains your troops just doesnt have any idea of melee fighting yet he gives you top tier melee fighters. You should also decide how much you prioritize elite troops, so that you may choose between a few almost top tier recruits vs a lot of tier 2-3 recruits.

There should be also a difference between having a recruiter in a castle versus a city. For example, you shouldnt be able to recruit vlandian equites/gallant/knights in a city, or very few, but instead you can have mercenaries, which are not available at castles. Also cities should have a bigger pool of recruits because of the density of population.

So if you made a system like this that also works out for the AI it would be amazing and I would stop seeing lords fighting with mostly peasants and recruits and instead get battles between mostly professional armies, because right now it is too easy to beat lords and also them relying so heavily on low tier troops makes the AI more limited on their fighting tactics since its mostly a mob of people without shields that gets massacred by ranged troops, so their only way to counter that right now is by having way greater numbers. Having a more professional AI army would lead to a better specialization of troops and a wider variety of tactics available for lords so that battles:
- feel more dangerous agaisnt lords
- dont feel so repetitive
- tactics are more important than ever.

Also another secondary effect would be that lords wouldnt get captured by looters so often since they are carrying a better army, and also when they spawn they can grab those men from their fief independently of the recruits available at settlements.

And to end, I believe that this should be fueled on money of course, if you dont give enough money to your recruiter you will get ****ty troops and very few. Another thing is that if this is based on money Lords should have a better income from fiefs, thats what i believe, because if they are getting the same money I am from fiefs then their only real source of income is war, because trading and workshops are clearly better than owning fiefs and I dont agree with that to a certain point. Owning a castle a two villages should give more money than two caravans and a workshop for example.

Last edited:
After the firsts few battles the lord I've seen/fought ran with most recruit.
It's not very fun but I prefer like this than having a full elite force running around. For me there should be like a cap for the units based on their tier, with perks or stats to increase it and an option to train units like warband.
I know it's not the best idea but I think it would be the easiest thing to implement without restart the whole army/upgrade/economy of the lords.

After the firsts few battles the lord I've seen/fought ran with most recruit.
It's not very fun but I prefer like this than having a full elite force running around. For me there should be like a cap for the units based on their tier, with perks or stats to increase it and an option to train units like warband.
I know it's not the best idea but I think it would be the easiest thing to implement without restart the whole army/upgrade/economy of the lords.

I agree with your concern, its not about having all elite either, but some middle ground. However it is done, being your way of caps or my way I believe we can agree that there should be more elite troops, engaging a Lord must feel risky and dangerous and their purpose is to wage war, how are they not going to have an almost professional army? I believe that out of a 100 troops most of them should be tier 3.

And maybe there should be another cap, that is how much you can upgrade your units yourself to top tier, while you are still a merchant who has no idea about combat or training, having vlandian banner knights whose armors are worth more than everything you have being trained by you. Makes no sense, I mean you can get them if you released them from being prisoners and other stuff, but actually training them yourself who still goes around in pyjamas? Doesnt make sense to me

I think AI lords suffer from the same issues that your companion led parties do?
They recruit troops over their capacity and then have units desert them,
thus losing most of their units with experience.

The whole reason why you see lords marching around with a bunch of recruits and peasants is because they're constantly spawning armies, fighting, getting wiped out, and immediately spawning back and grabbing crap troops and repeating the process. It's a fundamental design flaw with how the AI functions right now, and it's only one, probably even a minor one compared to the **** ton of broken and or non existent features.

I guess being an AI lord means that you gamble everything and hoping to snowball into winning most of the map,
throwing away your troops rather then conserving strength and building up an elite force.

And the fact that one AI lord does that, means that all other must aswell, either to defend from aggressor or to make sure they don't get behind on the fief-count. Since that would lead to less troops in total being recruitable for their kingdom compared to those that take more land.

The whole reason why you see lords marching around with a bunch of recruits and peasants is because they're constantly spawning armies, fighting, getting wiped out, and immediately spawning back and grabbing crap troops and repeating the process. It's a fundamental design flaw with how the AI functions right now, and it's only one, probably even a minor one compared to the **** ton of broken and or non existent features.
I agree but right now I think there is no train function even for ai lords, so they recruit and the only way to upgrade them is to fight, but they lose a lot and they don't farm looters like the player, so it's a circle I think

Last edited:
I agree but right now I think there is no train function even for ai lords, so they recruit and the only way to upgrade them is to fight, but they lose a lot and they don't farm looters like the player, so it's a circle I think

Exactly. Without passive training or auto spawn with high tier troops, only path to get a good army is to farm weaklings. AI lords aren't programmed to do that, and if you programmed every AI lord to do that, gameplay would get pretty wonky.

People clearly dont like lords auto spawning with higher tier troops, so we need passive training stuff. And then make lords play more defensively when most of their army is recruits. That will also fix the incredible annoyance of neverending streams of lords trying to pillage your villages, and also help fight snowballing, because after a defeat a lord will focus on defending their kingdom rather than running off to some remote village to die uselessly.

Training in warband was ridiculous because the player could stack it on every companion and it made the game greatly imbalanced in the player's favor. So any passive training options also need to be relatively equal.

Yes they do not take the time to build a decent retinue before going out looking for trouble. After a defeat they should be staying in safe areas for a while, building themselves up, clearing bandits out of their homelands, and maybe having a feast.

Exactly. Without passive training or auto spawn with high tier troops, only path to get a good army is to farm weaklings. AI lords aren't programmed to do that, and if you programmed every AI lord to do that, gameplay would get pretty wonky.
From what I've seen they do fight looters and bandits quite a lot, but the problem is they use auto-resolve and so they suffer heavy casualties. They are constantly bleeding units to attrition fighting auto-resolve battles, and so they never build up a decent number of veteran troops. Whereas the player can smash 80 looters easily with little casualties, the AI cannot and will take significant losses, and replace them with recruits.

Back
Top Bottom