AI is terrible

Users who are viewing this thread

Tweaking the AI of individual soldiers and entire formations is definitelly doable. What is really hard to mod is making AI properly switch their weapons (spear from distance vs sword in close quarters, etc).
The fact you were able to do it with RBM 'keep at' distance is a game-changer. Don't know the complexities of modding but the fact this can be done as a mod must've meant TW was always able to do it 'relatively' easily too but rather opted to have them in hugging distance at all times.

With switching weapons, guessing it has to do with them 'picking' their targets and the ensuing logic; especially with enemies coming in/out of their 'range'.

Tweaking the AI of individual soldiers and entire formations is definitelly doable. What is really hard to mod is making AI properly switch their weapons (spear from distance vs sword in close quarters, etc).
Do you think it is possible something like the "brainy bots" mod to exist for Bannerlord as it did for Warband?
No matter what settings or combo of mods i have used has ever come remotely close to warbands brainy bots ai.
I am really dying to get to fight non-mentally challenged AI on foot.

Making good AI without making the game a boring slog is really hard. Wonder why the spearmen can't just turtle behind their shields and stab you at a fraction of a second without even moving the shields? Because that would make a single battle last for hours.

But spear thrusts should be sped up at least, they're really pathetic compared to swords when it should be the other way around.

Why is nobody talking about cavalry ?
It feels like after charging, they go watch the sunset or something and after a "few" seconds they remember there's a battle.

I really don't remember anything wrong with cavalry in warband, they worked exactly as they should.

It feels like after charging, they go watch the sunset or something and after a "few" seconds they remember there's a battle.

I really don't remember anything wrong with cavalry in warband, they worked exactly as they should.

Yeah ive noticed this -its seems like the Cav's sole tactic is too make a rush, continue thru (as to not get caught up in ground melee) about 200m away, hang out regroup , face the wrong the direction, finally reorient themselves and then repeat. It was cool first time id seen it -but it tends to be every Cav's Captains only tactic when sometimes they are needed far quicker. Ive seen their alliied infantry just get slaughtered while they were far away just waiting for the Charge order -we need more nuance and variety. Also ive only used RBM so i dont know if this gives me a skewed view of it

Yeah ive noticed this -its seems like the Cav's sole tactic is too make a rush, continue thru (as to not get caught up in ground melee) about 200m away, hang out regroup , face the wrong the direction, finally reorient themselves and then repeat. It was cool first time id seen it -but it tends to be every Cav's Captains only tactic when sometimes they are needed far quicker. Ive seen their alliied infantry just get slaughtered while they were far away just waiting for the Charge order -we need more nuance and variety. Also ive only used RBM so i dont know if this gives me a skewed view of it
The cavalry moving away several lightyears after their first charge and then taking a while to do their second charge is definitely an issue. The cavalry should come back earlier after charging. I don't know how else the cav can fight though, as they get decimated if they get stuck (which is rather easy if the enemy line is several men deep) due to horses occupying space that could otherwise fit several infantrymen and mostly taking damage to their legs - which get less armor protection than chest and head pieces.

It's clearly an attempt to prevent cavalry getting bogged down, especially in bigass formations with 200 horses all converging on the exact same spot because they just charge the closest enemy rather than the one most suitable infront of them. This was actually a big annoyance in warband and it made anything that wasn't flat plains a massive pain in the ass to use cavalry on.

However they picked the silliest solution. Cavalry now just phases through entire blocks of infantry without slowing down or even doing much damage. And the ludicrous length of their charge distance, some 150 metres, just lowers their damage output even more. Its like melee cavalry exists on a separate dimension.

It's clearly an attempt to prevent cavalry getting bogged down, especially in bigass formations with 200 horses all converging on the exact same spot because they just charge the closest enemy rather than the one most suitable infront of them. This was actually a big annoyance in warband and it made anything that wasn't flat plains a massive pain in the ass to use cavalry on.

However they picked the silliest solution. Cavalry now just phases through entire blocks of infantry without slowing down or even doing much damage. And the ludicrous length of their charge distance, some 150 metres, just lowers their damage output even more. Its like melee cavalry exists on a separate dimension.
Unless they have a glaive, of course :wink:

Back
Top Bottom