SP - Battles & Sieges AI command menu (F-Keys) needs an option to make units switch their weapons

Users who are viewing this thread

Really getting tired of my elite units getting slaughtered because they decide to fight in a shieldwall with a javellin/war dart in "melee mode", while keeping their axes holstered.

This is also a game-breaking issue in Multiplayer (Captain Mode)

Suggestion:
- Move F5 option (Horses) and everything below down to F6

- Make F5 option read "Weapons" with following sub-options:
- F1 "Follow My Example" -> AI chose weapons based on what the player is weilding, logic would check first for the exact weapon type, if the exact weapon type is not in the AI's Inventory, it would pick closest weapon type, shield if player has a shield, two handed if players weapon is two handed (Two handed axes, polearms, maces including). Any Ranged, if player using ranged (Throwing, Bow, Xbow).
This would loop through and make everyone in the unit switch weapons every time player switches weapons. Super useful for companions, or to adapt a large unit to situations quickly.
- F2 "One Handed" (Cycle to next one if multiple of the same type equipped)
- F3 "Two Handed" (Cycle to next one if multiple of the same type equipped)
- F4 "Polearms" (Cycle to next one if multiple of the same type equipped)
- F5 "Ranged" (Bow / xbow / Throwing) (Cycle to next one if multiple of the same type equipped, or between throwing, bow, xbow)
- F6 "Shields" (Cycle between shields in hands and on back)

Last edited:
let's say that I agree, in principle, with what you say but:
1) have you tried to order your men to hold fire when they are in shieldwall?
2) do you know that shield wall formation is not really suitable for dealing damage but more for "resisting until someone else comes to save your butt"? (which is an interpretation of how developers consider this battle formation, in my opinion too little offensive)

let's say that I agree, in principle, with what you say but:
1) have you tried to order your men to hold fire when they are in shieldwall?
2) do you know that shield wall formation is not really suitable for dealing damage but more for "resisting until someone else comes to save your butt"? (which is an interpretation of how developers consider this battle formation, in my opinion too little offensive)
Yeah the Shield Wall is purely a defensive tactic in the game, meant to protect your infantry from ranged attacks(preferably while they close the gap, or your own ranged do their thing). If you want your infantry to go offensive too, you need to put them back in Line, or even more effective make them charge(can change back and forward between holding position and charging if you want to stay put). I suspect they prefer the javelins because you set them to defend a position, and chose either the ranged weapon because they are told to not move towards enemy at all, or the longest to reach out of the shields.

In any case, once your infantry comes in contact with the enemy, you definitely need to take them out of Shieldwall if you want them to fight back.

2) do you know that shield wall formation is not really suitable for dealing damage but more for "resisting until someone else comes to save your butt"?

Shield wall formation is still no reason why a unit should make a stupid weapon choice once in melee range and even attempt to attack with it.
From my experience AI is currently somewhat bad in making use of their equipment no matter what formation or command given.

If a archer or crossbow unit is engaged in close combat they will change to melee combat autonomously no matter what. There is no good reason why a designated melee unit should then stick to their range weapon in close combat.
It is the same problem with pike and spear weapons, the AI barely makes use of it even in shield wall formation which would be one of the best scenarios. They are pretty much always unprepared for cavalery although there are plenty units in the game which carry a pike in theory.
It looks a bit silly when one lonely cavalery unit slowly pushes through 100 infantry and survives, I`ve seen this often.

Back
Top Bottom