Resolved AI armies ignore construction of siege engines and it leads to enormous losses

Users who are viewing this thread

Summary: I observed several sieges, where big armies attacked castles or towns with relatively low garrison. If so, they tend to rush with the assault for some reason without waiting until siege tower and ram will be ready. I've never seen attackers using catapults as well. This ignorance ends up with troops climbing on walls by ladders and being extremely vulnerable due to low "bandwith" of these simpliest siege engines. They manage to win though, but the losses are enormous. Lords just don't care about their losses, although they could avoid it by waiting another day for ram and tower.
In the example below there were 810 attackers against only 198 defenders. It was the siege of Car Banseth, which has plenty of Battanian archers. Neither ram or siege tower were done, although the projects were in progress before King Dethert ordered to assault. As you can see, brave battanians managed to kill 1/3 and wound 1/3 of Vlandian army before defenders lost. 198 men caused casualities of over 500 men.
I totally agree that attackers should take large casualities when assaulting the walls, which is the basic purpose of the castle walls. But at the meantime AI does not make efforts to minimize their losses.
How to reproduce: Observe big armies attacking relatively weak garrisons.
Media:
rw9gLSv.png

Version: 1.4.0 Beta

Yes, Since patch 1.4 I haven't seen AI armies complete anything else besides a ram. 50/50 of the time they start the ram and engage the castle when the ram is still at 80-90% complete.

In previous version(s), I have seen AI armies siege towns and castles with catapults, ballistas and towers.

I do agree that AI armies should rush castles with very low garrison. Like if the castle has less than 100 soldiers, they should ofcourse rush it. But Garrisons with 150+ should be engaged with rams and towers. garrisons with 250+ should be laid to waste with cata's, before assaulting.

Garrisons with 350-400+ should not be engaged before one of the walls (or both) are broken.

Back
Top Bottom