Aging, negativity, your prime or post prime... - your thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kharille

Knight at Arms
Maybe its not an issue I've had to think about but I'm starting to see a lot of negativity from people in their 50s plus who seem to have issues.  I suppose its a big issue when everything is declining and theres certainly no way out.  Not such an issue for me, managed to adapt to knee arthritis which was crippling for a few years, not in my 50s yet.

so which of you ol' bastards are having issues?  Should this thread be moved into the 'fun' topic?  I find in my old age I'm fitter and smarter and more competent than I ever was so...

I just pictured you as kid - not a father awkwardly watching a sex scene with your child.
It's fine, I just saw it differently in my head  :grin:

Anyway, negativity is for all ages. I don't feel negative, though.

There's so much negativity around these days, I just hate it. Remember back when people were not so negative? Those were the days...

Seriously though, I find that I am noticeably more negative when I am in America, because the aggressive American "positivity" when everyone is always doing great!!!, everything is uh-may-zing and they just looooove <something ordinary and banal> etc brings out the contrarian in me. It used to be a nice change when I was a tourist and it was only for a couple days or weeks, but now it feels more like a barrier to actual communication, because everyone just feeds you a battery of "positive" phrases and getting to what they really think or feel takes forever. We're not 15 anymore, we don't have a year of awkwardly hanging out after school trying to figure out who we are, so can we just skip ahead, pls.

Sure I got things to complain about.  Started getting tendon injuries in my 30s.  Tennis elbow from lifting a chair the wrong way.  Getting lots of wound infections, that barely happened in my earlier days.  I sure love the asterix character, Geriatrix, wish I could grab a few pics off google images of the old guy, my hero. 

kurczak said:
There's so much negativity around these days, I just hate it. Remember back when people were not so negative? Those were the days...

Seriously though, I find that I am noticeably more negative when I am in America, because the aggressive American "positivity" when everyone is always doing great!!!, everything is uh-may-zing and they just looooove <something ordinary and banal> etc brings out the contrarian in me. It used to be a nice change when I was a tourist and it was only for a couple days or weeks, but now it feels more like a barrier to actual communication, because everyone just feeds you a battery of "positive" phrases and getting to what they really think or feel takes forever. We're not 15 anymore, we don't have a year of awkwardly hanging out after school trying to figure out who we are, so can we just skip ahead, pls.

When the Bitter Slav is removed from its natural environs for an extended period it undergoes a miraculous change wherein its cold and jaded heart actively lowers its body temperature and humors even in the face of the most persistent joy. Marvelous. This is peak nature.

I know, I'm not happy (quelle surprise) about my reaction, but I can't seem to help it. The conditioning is too strong. Maybe it's just Brooklyn, or New York, maybe I'm just unlucky to be around basic Beckies.

kurczak said:
I know, I'm not happy (quelle surprise) about my reaction, but I can't seem to help it. The conditioning is too strong. Maybe it's just Brooklyn, or New York, maybe I'm just unlucky to be around basic Beckies.

That's just how you have to act in New York these days just to keep from killing yourself.

Share your negative story. What did the nooyawkuhs* do to you?

* - after over a year in NY, I am yet to meet a person who actually has that Costanza-esque accent that tv and movies told me New Yorkers have.

Back
Top Bottom